Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much power am I losing with my leaky headers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much power am I losing with my leaky headers?

Im just curious about how much HP I am losing with my headers leaking the are slip-on collectors and are leaking heavily before the o2's I smell gas when starting my car sometimes and it acts funny sometimes. Theres nothing I can do to fix it.

When I had my last T/A when I put LT's on it was a huge difference but when I put them on this car it wasnt that noticeable at all. Is that because its A4?

Also I only picked up about 2 tenths at the track with my LT's, ORY, CB, and Lid?

So how much do you think im losing?

I am going to replace them but im just curious if you guys think its really urgent.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

BTW I called Edelbrock and they said to put silicone on them! They also told me that I shouldn't of put race style headers on a street car because it dosent matter if they leak on a race car. HAHA!
Old 12-01-2009, 02:14 AM
On The Tree

Wait, so, you have the slip on LT collectors, and you just slipped your exhaust on without a clamp?

Or "before the 02" like the header itself has a hole in it?
Old 12-01-2009, 06:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Yea I wouldnt worry about power loss...just that annoying sound
Old 12-01-2009, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

It shouldn't be a HUGE problem, its like driving around with half-open headers.

Not sure if your O2 sensors are going to be effected or not, depends on how much exhaust is actually leaking.

I'd try to get those replaced if I were you.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, your O2s will kinda screw up your tune a little bit, it will sense unmetered air from your leaky headers and they will tell the PCM to drop more fuel in the engine since there are more air coming thus why you are running rich or smelling the fuel. Trust me I know, I have one too on my $800 Stainlessworks SS headers. I now have to get my very expensive header and have it open and get the crack welds to be re-welded inside.

In the meantime, I tuned my car to do basically void the O2s (I love HPTuners!) and use the MAF/MAP to run the car AKA Open loop mode.