PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Exactly Do Custom Predator Tunes Work?

Old 12-13-2003, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How Exactly Do Custom Predator Tunes Work?

I'm really interested in the Predator, but I'm unclear on how exactly the custom tunes work. Do I simply send information gathered through the Predator to the company and receive a custom file back, or is there some other means of obtaining this custom tuning? Also, how much do the custom tunes cost?

Thanks,
Josh
Old 12-14-2003, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Josh
I'm really interested in the Predator, but I'm unclear on how exactly the custom tunes work. Do I simply send information gathered through the Predator to the company and receive a custom file back, or is there some other means of obtaining this custom tuning? Also, how much do the custom tunes cost?

Thanks,
Josh
To get a custom tune, you need a serial cable and a 12V 1A power supply for the Predator. There is a program you will need to download from the vendor to upload and download the tunes on the Predator. You save your file (even if it is unchanged, I think they need the VIN number from the file) and email it to them along with your readings or problems. They email you back the updated tune. Then you just upload that tune to the Pred and install it on your car. If minor tweaks need to be made then rinse and repeat until everything is perfect. I just installed a custom tune yesterday

Sent ya a PM too.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:16 PM
Restricted User

A funny thing is, you can do the same thing with Edit. I could write you a tune based off of what you pull out of the PCM. But the emails can take a couple days, depends on the workload of the vendor your dealing with.
Other than that like evilluc said.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Default Pred

What evilluc said. The tunes are easy to get from Diablo. It's like having a Tech 2 tool and edit combined. You just don't have to mess with all the computer knowledge that edit seems need. edit is very good though. I get killer tunes from Diablo, most of the time same day service.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sweet, thanks a lot, guys.

I think I'm going to go with the Predator instead of LS1Edit/Atap--doesn't sound like the cost difference is warranted.

Josh
Old 12-15-2003, 09:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree the 1 unit is nice, but to compare the limited functions of the predator, to the tech 2, is a bit much imho. There is a lot the predator will not do when it comes to paramaters that the tech 2 will read.

Ryan.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CAT3
... depends on the workload of the vendor your dealing with.
Do all of the dealers/vendors do tuning? Or just some of them? Like if I buy a Predator from MTI/Thunder or other, do they do the tuning or will they just refer me to DiabloSport customer service? I am still running stock programming an I am sure I could benefit from tuning.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CAT3
A funny thing is, you can do the same thing with Edit. I could write you a tune based off of what you pull out of the PCM. But the emails can take a couple days, depends on the workload of the vendor your dealing with.
Other than that like evilluc said.

I E mailed Diablo my info like they said to. That was over a month ago. I think saying it takes a couple of days is a stretch.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

I would follow up on that e-mail WS6Rules I had very good service with them I dealt with Johann @ Diablosport and had my new program back that same day. He was also very patient and helpful with my computer problems which were strictly my own ignorance
Old 12-16-2003, 09:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Samba242
Do all of the dealers/vendors do tuning? Or just some of them? Like if I buy a Predator from MTI/Thunder or other, do they do the tuning or will they just refer me to DiabloSport customer service? I am still running stock programming an I am sure I could benefit from tuning.
Only way to know is to check with the vendor before buying. I know Thunder does tuning.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

i get mine from johan too, so patient and helpful, and i ask a lot of questions, got 3 tunes back in one day one time...
Old 01-16-2004, 12:18 AM
Teching In

Default Boys from the Bay area-pref. SJ State

Hi

I'm new around here-a transfer to san jose state university this spring. I have a love for camaros so I Was told to join this group. So, I figured I would post a message here and with any luck find someone else from the bay area (pref. a guy) that may like to show me around the bay or sj state if you know anything about it! Send me a private message!

Amber
Old 01-21-2004, 07:28 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Johann @ Diablosport DID MINE AND HAD IT BACK IN ABOUT AN HOUR. TRUCK WAS RUNING LEAN AND KNOW EVERYTHING LOOKS PERFECT. I'M GOING BACK TO THE TRACK TO SEE IF IT HELPED.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

What do they charge for each tune?
Old 01-21-2004, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not A Damn Thing!
Old 01-22-2004, 05:20 AM
Staging Lane

I got a new one, but bought it off ebay new so who can program it, I herd James only programs the ones he sells so whos left and who is the best.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:46 AM
14 Second Truck Club

johan@diablosport.com email him and he will give you instructions on what to do.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

Must be nice. I've sent mine in 3 times since last September and it never raised my rev limiter. This coming Tuesday marks 3 weeks since I sent it. I bought it through Trevor at Texas Speed, at least he's called me. Diablosport has not contacted me yet. I called them this Tuesday and they said "We're still working on it". I must have been too nice or something. Sure would be nice if they would give me my $ back or a new unit. This is ridiculous. They had my idle on the money and it definitely ran stronger on the tune, just couldn't rev it to 6800. Hopefully no one else will run in to this crap I have.

Search this Thread