Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam guru's

Old 12-01-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cam guru's

looking for some custom cam advise. im not wanting "hey this 228 works great" or "sounds like you want a ms3". im going with a custom grind and will be ordering next month. currently im in iraq and will be doing h/c/i on my car when i get back. ill give some info on my car and let you know what i want to do.

car
1998 ws6 t56
gm crate w 25k
01 ls6 block 241 heads
full bolt ons minus ls6 intake
also nitro daves wet nozzle (not used)

so ive scrounged some parts and have:
ls6 intake
prc stage 1 243s w/dual springs
hptuners pro

im looking for an awesome cam (arent we all...) that isnt lopey but makes great power with my combo. im going for something under the radar and hits my goal of around 430, maybe more if we get lucky here. ill be spraying nitrous very occasionally, probably for some fast times at the track, not too often.

ideas ive had:
234/230 .625/.615 113+4

238/234 .624/.621 112+3

these are just some compilations of cams and what im liking in them. with these heads ill have a slight bump in compression. they will flow tons better than 241s. and im wanting to take advantage of the heads abiltiy to flow pretty good over .600 lift, but not wanting to near the .660 spring rating. judgine by my examples im not wanting a 24x25x cam, or a .64x lift. im trying to make something that will outperform these type cams and do it without being harsh on the springs or have a lopey car.

lets see what we can toss around.

thanks
zach
Old 12-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Zach,Thanks for your service to America.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey hey!!! thanks inferno! gets pretty boring over here sometimes, so i get to look on tech!!!
Old 12-01-2009, 11:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My custom cam specs out at 230/236 .613/.601 112+3. My cam also has a hybrid lobe setup. Its got XFI lobes on the intake and XER lobes on the exhaust. With a set of PRC stg 2.5 5.3l head my car put down 447rwhp/415rwtq through a moser 9inch rear. It lopes like a little 224 cam and makes amazing under the curve power. You can hammer it at any rpm and the car moves out!
Old 12-01-2009, 11:48 PM
Restricted User

Hopefully we can get Pat G and PREDATOR-Z in here... they know their stuff.

cant wait to get that thing together when you get back! Then we can hit the track!
Old 12-02-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would just PM either Pred. Z or Pat G and ask their opinions and what they would recommend.

And also, Thank You for serving our country !
Old 12-02-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

alright thanks for the info guys. barney, it seems im kinda in the area of what im wanting. ill just hope predator z and pat g come in here beings it named cam guru's.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

alright ima have to bump this up! come on pat g and predatorz! give me some ideas!
Old 12-04-2009, 10:16 PM
11 Second Club

pay pat g 25 bucks like i have 3 times or use the search button!!!!!

It is pretty easy pay pat g 25 bucks and he will spec you a great cam,or!!!!!!

USE the search and decide for youre self. or just do as you did and make the 1 millionth post of what is my best cam

or better yet if you are too cheap to pay pat g call a vender and chew on their ear for a hour

when you are ready to buy a cam get one speced or call a vendor. or spend some time with the search function and pick youre own it gets old reading this over and over

this ? has been asked 3 million times
Old 12-04-2009, 10:18 PM
FormerVendor

Hey Zacht. You did not specify what kind of exhaust you are running. that can make a big difference in the "under the radar" factor.

I did a ISKY 233/236 .592/.596 on a 114 +4 I made 424rwhp
The 114LSA was to keep the lope down slightly
But with the Magnaflow it was downright quiet! Too quiet for my taste I since replaced it.

Everything around this range (of duration) will equate to about the same amount of power +/- the differences in mods.

Is the car a Daily Driver?
Under the curve power vs. peak is much more usable and fun in daily driving. This cam I have takes off like a demon at 3000+RPMs

I think with the heads and a good tune (and assuming by bolt ons you mena you have LT's and catback) you will easily hit your goal in the 23x range. We have a whole bunch of cars like that around here.

I can make you a heck of a deal on an Isky cam, if your dead set on a comp well I do not have that account open just yet. Also we have a military discount.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:25 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by quick346
pay pat g 25 bucks like i have 3 times or use the search button!!!!!

It is pretty easy pay pat g 25 bucks and he will spec you a great cam,or!!!!!!

USE the search and decide for youre self. or just do as you did and make the 1 millionth post of what is my best cam

or better yet if you are too cheap to pay pat g call a vender and chew on their ear for a hour

when you are ready to buy a cam get one speced or call a vendor. or spend some time with the search function and pick youre own it gets old reading this over and over

this ? has been asked 3 million times
FYI Pat G is a Vendor. He pushes specific companies products. Hard to tell because under his name it says Admin, but that supercedes the Yellow sponsor tag.

Like you said many vendors would spec a cam for free for you.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey stroker, thanks for the advise! ill look into that. also you run military discount? like how much on all valvetrain stuff? 10%? more? im going to be buying this next month, was waiting to see all the discounts around chrismas too! you must me army too, beings you got the 240B and all. hey man, i can pull that thing down (tray and cover too) put it together and functions check in 42 seconds....lol

also-quick346, your post told me a whole lot of nothing and was pretty immature. if your all about the "**** ive seen these posts so many times, use the search funtion", then dont come in and post in my thread. hey heres some news for you, im in iraq and i live in a tent, internets not easy to come by, neither is free time, if i had hours a night to **** with people on tech, id do it.

keep the info coming guys
Old 12-04-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

also stroker, on the exhaust i got lpp longtubes, ory, and slp loudmouth. not terribly quiet. im just trying to stay away from a lopey cam, what im getting at...
Old 12-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by zacht
hey stroker, thanks for the advise! ill look into that. also you run military discount? like how much on all valvetrain stuff? 10%? more? im going to be buying this next month, was waiting to see all the discounts around chrismas too! you must me army too, beings you got the 240B and all. hey man, i can pull that thing down (tray and cover too) put it together and functions check in 42 seconds....lol

also-quick346, your post told me a whole lot of nothing and was pretty immature. if your all about the "**** ive seen these posts so many times, use the search funtion", then dont come in and post in my thread. hey heres some news for you, im in iraq and i live in a tent, internets not easy to come by, neither is free time, if i had hours a night to **** with people on tech, id do it.

keep the info coming guys
I agree absolutely no reason to even open the thread if all your gonna do is cry and bitch....
Old 12-04-2009, 11:01 PM
FormerVendor

also stroker, on the exhaust i got lpp longtubes, ory, and slp loudmouth. not terribly quiet. im just trying to stay away from a lopey cam, what im getting at...
Ya I just got assigned the 240 recently, nice time that feed tray pin is a bitch. But its fun as hell to shoot. I used to have the 249 before, had a SSG could tear it down in 14sec. (Army National Guard 11B- don't make fun, you might be one of us old guys one day lol)

My buddy has almost the exact same cam but on a 112LSA the difference in lope is slight, the biggest difference is all in the exhaust. Ya the loudmouth is that. i just switched to ture dual that dump with 2 (unkown) resonators. I lost my parking spot now I set off to many alarms lol

Another friend has very similar cam on 110LSA and I do not detect a huge difference. Where yu will notice it is in the tune as well 50rpms either way at idle will make a big difference.

Anyway, I just recovered my website from a hack attack and am moving it to a new domain. Once I get that done it will be functional and I can set you up with a discount code. Likkely we can do 5% on top of the deal, so be sure to call us.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

hell yeah man! so you run like 10% for christmas and another 5 military? calling might not work so good, phones are a bitch from here. but let me know when that sight is up and ill check it out! im needing everything but springs for the swap, gaskets too! maybe this thread goes somewhere and i get a cam that looks fun to try (besides my makeshift cams listed, lol)

also on the feed tray pin, wack that bitch with the buttstock, lol. nothing wrong with the guard, cept this AT im on is long......lol
Old 12-04-2009, 11:37 PM
FormerVendor

hell yeah man! so you run like 10% for christmas and another 5 military? calling might not work so good, phones are a bitch from here. but let me know when that sight is up and ill check it out! im needing everything but springs for the swap, gaskets too! maybe this thread goes somewhere and i get a cam that looks fun to try (besides my makeshift cams listed, lol)

also on the feed tray pin, wack that bitch with the buttstock, lol. nothing wrong with the guard, cept this AT im on is long......lol
Well you can look at the site right now at www.autopartsfirmonline.com/catalog but I am moving it too www.autopartsfirm.com soon and then I will set up the new SSL so do not order from it right now.

Oh I smacked it must have just been this gun cause that sucker was stuck! long AT lol. Ya did 1 of those in Egypt missed a couple others luckily or id be gone more then home.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:49 PM
FormerVendor

I am working on putting a whole cam swap package together. Cam, gaskets, springs, crank bolt, hardened pushrods, and optional a double roller timing chain.

Just note a couple of things
1. not all the products are up on the site (it takes forever to load each one)
look at the custom cam section for a selection of Lobes
http://www.autopartsfirmonline.com/c...products_id=51
2. I should have a Comp account in the next month or 2 setup
3. some of the links are not working right now, I had to rebuild the site from scratch

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cam guru's