Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Which shock with strano springs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which shock with strano springs?

First off I already know that koni's are the best, but I just can't spend that much for shocks. The car will be a summer DD and i'd like it to hold like it is on rails. It will never see the dragstrip. So what are you guys running? How do you like them and why? Also what kind of driving?
Old 12-02-2009, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Breathing Fire
First off I already know that koni's are the best, but I just can't spend that much for shocks. The car will be a summer DD and i'd like it to hold like it is on rails. It will never see the dragstrip. So what are you guys running? How do you like them and why? Also what kind of driving?
Then save your money a little longer and just do the konis first and the springs later. I personally would much rather be on konis with stock springs than a lesser shock on lowering springs. My car was beautifully balanced on konis with otherwise stock suspension, it was simply amazing the difference they made.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1

I don't want to induce any eye rolling in you but think of it this way: You drop $450 on a set of Bilstein's or something relatively cheap and rock them for about a year. Then one day you come up on a new set of Koni's on sale for a smokin' $350 per set! You'd have to get them at that price... I mean who wouldn't. But in actuality you've just invested $800 in a set of shocks.

I know, bad analogy, but I agree. Hold out until you can get the shocks that have the reputation for transforming f cars from stock to amazing. Every review that i've read on Koni's said that they wish they hadn't of waited as long as they did to get them.

Plus they're on sale now... https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...sets-sale.html

I couldn't resist Got a set on the way to me too. I can't wait for the transformation!

Last edited by KurtRardin; 12-03-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:36 AM
TECH Junkie

probably the next closest thing would be the kyb AGX adj shocks.

but yeah...save for the Koni's.....really!!!
Old 12-03-2009, 08:17 AM
TECH Regular

call sam.

he will work with your budget to give you the best shocks for your application.

tony
Old 12-03-2009, 10:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

FWIW, I carry not only Koni, but also Bilstein, KYB, and Tokico (and a few others that I'd never, ever use). Options are not the issue, options that will work the way they should, over the long run is the issue.

Quality wise, it'd be some set of Bilstein's. With the sale, that we have on SLP's shocks that would likely be the way I'd lean as they are built better for a similar price. AGX's are adjustable where Bilstein's are not (and Bilstien's were never intended for a real lowering spring's rate but rather the fluffy psuedo lowering springs SLP had Eibach make (which are taller and softer than mine).

No matter, I've got you covered on any shock you might choose. I know that Koni's aren't cheap--but they are worth every penny.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-03-2009, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

I am in the same boat as you. I am sure Koni's are great, but even on sale $900 bucks is $900 bucks. Sam actually helped me setup a SLP Bilstein and Strano Spring setup. I dont have them yet, but I will let you know how it rides once I get them on the car.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Save up and buy the koni's.The shocks are the single most important investment for your suspension.The difference in the Bilsteins and the Koni sa's is a lot.As said earlier,I would rather have the Koni sa's with stock springs and do the lower perch/heater hose mod than a set of lowering springs and the Bilsteins.That's what I was going to purchase but,Stranos mom talked me out of them(bilsteins).Boy am I glad I listened to her.It's your car and you have to be happy with it.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by transwiz
Save up and buy the koni's.The shocks are the single most important investment for your suspension.The difference in the Bilsteins and the Koni sa's is a lot.As said earlier,I would rather have the Koni sa's with stock springs and do the lower perch/heater hose mod than a set of lowering springs and the Bilsteins.That's what I was going to purchase but,Stranos mom talked me out of them(bilsteins).Boy am I glad I listened to her.It's your car and you have to be happy with it.
Yep. The lower perch will get you down over 1" in front and if the rear isn't low enough w/ the HH mod you can always trim a coil.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys for your input. I actually emaild sam and he made his suggestion. He was very helpful tho I will call before I order them. Thanks Gohardz28 that is actually what he recomended for me and please do let me know how you like the set-up. I know I should do koni, but I just can't and there are other things the money would be spent for as I have a family to take care of. My girl would let me do what I want, she is the best any guy could ask for, but i'm looking for other things right now too. Some day I will have the koni's but not now. Plus shocks don't last forever and by then it won't be a problem to upgrade hopefully. Thanks again guys.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:58 PM

Ya she is the best But I think you should get what you want!
Old 12-08-2009, 04:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i never understand this argument.....

"well, i want the Koni's, but they're too expensive"

really? is there any specific reason you absolutely have to upgrade right at this very moment? unless you're under a time crunch, such as getting ready for some racing event, or your stock shocks are completely shot and need to be replaced to get the car back on the road.....just wait. set aside the amount of money you would have been spending on the cheaper shocks, then over the next month (or two, or three, or 4 - 5) set aside a little extra....then when you have enough all saved up to buy them, buy them.

in the end, you will keep yourself from spending money on the same type of part twice (which will be way more expensive than if you had just waited), and you will be a lot happier when it does happen....anticipation can be difficult to bear, but the satisfaction you gain from it in the end will be all the sweeter.

plus, just imagine how much better it will feel if you take one massive upgrade straight from stock to Koni, instead of taking two smaller upgrade steps (stock to Bilstein, then Bilstein to Koni, for example).

if you're just replacing them because the stock shocks are shot, just buy the cheapest set of stock replacements you can find until you have the money for what you really want....minimize the amount of extra money you spend on it until you get what you want.

i see too many people succumbing to their urges for instant gratification....and i should know how to recognize it, i've done my share of it in the past....but that's probably the reason you hear so many people saying the same thing, to just wait & save up....it's because they (we) have made the same mistakes already, and are trying to save others from doing it themselves.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with 02z28ls1. Just save up until you can get the Koni's that you want.

Quick Reply: Which shock with strano springs?