New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hows the auto

Old 12-02-2009, 06:51 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default hows the auto

well im gonna buy a ls1 when i sell my 5.0 and im wondering how the autos are, in the 5.0's a 5 speed smokes the autos, they dont have a good auto. personally i would rather have the fun of the 6 speed but the wife cant manage the stick, and what i have learned with the mustang is if she drives it too its alot easier to sink a paycheck into it every now and then on mods without hearing the bitchn, so how are the autos, are they as fast or close to the 6speed? I dont want to spend a fortune but i want a nice dd that will get in the 12s not to fast but fast enough to feel it( no nos tho) these f bodies seem like the perfect ride, damn i cant wait to get 1
Old 12-02-2009, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen sticks hit 12.7 and my auto went 12.8 stock for stock but I only seen one person able to hit 12.7 IDK his secret
Old 12-02-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

i've owned 2 autos and don't mind them. 6 speed would be more fun but hey. throw a converter in and you'll be low/mid 12's right off the bat.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the 6spd you wont regret it..I have an auto with a big converter but have driven the 6spd cars and there fun as hell
Old 12-02-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hate autos, they are boring, anybody who gets one just cant drive and thats why they have them. They are old lady cars and no matter what you do to them they will never be as fast as a 6 speed. I would be embarrassed to even be seen in an auto.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

^^^He's taken a beating from a few before I can tell by the tone in his voice

Seriously, in stock form, they have awful dead spots. Put in some 3.73s and a 3200-3600 converter and its like a whole other car. Big improvement. I dont know how much a wife would like driving a car with a decent sized converter as its a bit like driving through mud on your first few drives. She may say "what the hell is wrong with this car, it wont go anywhere??"
Old 12-02-2009, 08:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by homerunhtr21
I hate autos, they are boring, anybody who gets one just cant drive and thats why they have them. They are old lady cars and no matter what you do to them they will never be as fast as a 6 speed. I would be embarrassed to even be seen in an auto.
I like 6 speeds myself .A lot more fun .Old lady cars ?? nahh . But an auto with a converter is hard to beat from a dig ( usually ), more consistant and less chance of snapping the stock rear like a pretzel . Mod for mod the 6's will put more power to the ground though .The autos hold theyre own too !
Old 12-02-2009, 08:36 PM
Launching!

some conflicting opinions here on the 6speed to auto lol, but for the wife to be happy its not an option. I have to have an auto( till i can afford two), thats what i thought tho gears and a stall and the one good thing about autos is when ur racing u aint gotta worry about missin a shift, at the track u see it alot, guess u got that workin4 ya
Old 12-02-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lol I feel the same. Even though we both have stalled autos WTF is wrong with us! Those 6speed guys are the only smart ones
Old 12-02-2009, 08:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by zaaronz
some conflicting opinions here on the 6speed to auto lol, but for the wife to be happy its not an option. I have to have an auto( till i can afford two), thats what i thought tho gears and a stall and the one good thing about autos is when ur racing u aint gotta worry about missin a shift, at the track u see it alot, guess u got that workin4 ya
Gotta keep the wife happy !! I just put a set of 373's in mine . Big difference . Doesnt take much to put a LS1 f body in the 12's
Old 12-02-2009, 08:40 PM
11 Second Club

autos suck wtf was i thinking. lol
Old 12-02-2009, 08:44 PM
STG
Staging Lane

I was appalled by this until I read your sig.

I honestly love driving both; they each have their pluses and minuses. I gotta stock stall and 3.23s so the car has some serious dead spots, but the auto is overall very good in these cars. Even completely stock they're pretty responsive and will downshift when you want them too, and this can be made even better with a tune.

The answer to your question is no, the autos in these cars are not lightyears behind the manuals. Stock for stock, they are about equal down the quarter, though popular wisdom holds that the auto will have a lower ET while the manual will trap higher.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:47 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,459 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Get the auto if you're thinking it's more manageable in your situation. They are nearly as fast stock for stock in terms of 1/4 mile ETs. Their trap speed will be a bit lower though. Only time that the 6-speed will really shine over an auto is from a mid-range speed roll.

Either can be fun, or fast. But if you feel that your personal situation makes one better than the other, you should always go with your gut. Otherwise, you'll regret it.

As for maintenance, M6s will need a rear and a clutch if you plan to make any power. The A4 will need a full performance rebuild. So there is a challenge either way.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:48 PM
12 Second Club

I was gonna lay into you till someone sad read your sig
Old 12-02-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

i owned a t/a with a 6 speed and can say that they are only fun for about 2 weeks after you get the car... I mean those clunky T56's are nothing special really... I remember there was an old saying here somewhere " 6 speeds only impress high school kids..."

Although i would love to jump into another 6 speed again, i just like the auto in the fbody better... In a 4 cyl gas saver, i would take a 5 speed any day...

oh, and i recommend you get a 6 speed and see if you wanna switch to an auto later
Old 12-02-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LoL... i used to say the same exact thing when i was like 15 or 16... and i meant it. then again, when you're driving an import with like 100whp, an auto tranny is pretty worthless.

a stalled auto is a wonderful thing. a stock auto with no aftermarket torque converter is kind of weak when it comes to the dead spots.

if i had a t56, by now i would have had to replace my rear and clutch at least once or twice. thing about the auto is that weak 3-4 clutch pack which will fry itself if it shifts into overdrive while you're going WOT (i think it won't let you do it with the stock tune).
Old 12-02-2009, 11:17 PM
12 Second Club

Old 12-02-2009, 11:54 PM
12 Second Club

My 1st Camaro was an auto and the one I have now started life as an auto.The red car was a beast and I had zero problems with it, the silver one I went through 3 4L60Es before I got sick of it and swapped it. I dont miss the automatic one bit. As far acceleration if you know how to drive the 6 spd is quicker, but on the freeway with some 3.73s with an auto you better hold the **** on. Gas mileage if you care is about the same too, at least for me. just remember "happy wife happy life".
Old 12-03-2009, 12:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I love my shitty auto with my no driving self
Old 12-03-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

haha, Im with this guy..

It depends what you want out of your car, They say you cant have fun in a auto. When you throw a stall in it, it makes the car really fun imo. I have drove a 6spd and yes that was fun, but when I get to the stoplights it really sucks. I love my stalled auto, and its hard for 6spd cars to touch unless they are more modded then my car.

Search this Thread