Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C5 Brake conversion kit question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 06:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 Brake conversion kit question

Ive been searching around for this for a while and I cannot find a 100% clear answer. I need brakes for my 00 SS, and id like to retain my stock calipers to keep down on cost, and also because from what ive read the calipers are good enough for what i will need them for (some AutoX, possible road race, street driving, and stops at the 1/4 mile track) and have better clamping force anyway. Now my question is, can i use the C5 caliper brackets with my stock calipers just to run a larger rotor? The calipers look pretty much the same to me. If someone can chime in on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-03-2009, 07:28 AM
TECH Addict

if you want to save money just buy better pads and dont worry about anything else
Old 12-03-2009, 07:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Unfortunately when using the C5 bracket you will have to use a C5 Caliper as well. with a bigger rotor. When we first looked into this set up we check all of the pros and cons of the set up and unfortunately what you are asking about will not work. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 12-03-2009, 07:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
if you want to save money just buy better pads and dont worry about anything else
Well i need rotors as well....should i spend the money on powerslots? Or should i just get blanks....i had hawk hps pads and power slots on my Neon, and the braking was phenominal....but i did it all at once and i couldnt tell if it was just the pads or the rotors and pads combined

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
Hello
Unfortunately when using the C5 bracket you will have to use a C5 Caliper as well. with a bigger rotor. When we first looked into this set up we check all of the pros and cons of the set up and unfortunately what you are asking about will not work. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Thank you for the reply....what wont work about it? Are the mounting locations different? Just curious
Old 12-03-2009, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your braking was most likely a result of good pad selection (the hawk HPS). You do need good rotors, however the slots serve very little purpose to what you're looking for. Whilst there are some decent brand names with slotted rotor faces (especially the "Ate" brand rotors), the most important aspect of the rotor is having enough mass in the right places in order to have the ability to properly control heat.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

all slots will do is eat up your pads faster. you wont brake any better. if youre not racing, get any plain, blank rotor you can find. if a local parts store has any kind of warranty with their brand against warping or whatnot, get a set of them. its the pads that do the stopping, not the rotors. HPS is fine for the street.

if you do ever go to an actual track, plan on swapping pads and rotors to ones that are more suited to track driving. unless you drive like a grandma, you WILL overheat your street pads, HPS included. ive done it.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
Your braking was most likely a result of good pad selection (the hawk HPS). You do need good rotors, however the slots serve very little purpose to what you're looking for. Whilst there are some decent brand names with slotted rotor faces (especially the "Ate" brand rotors), the most important aspect of the rotor is having enough mass in the right places in order to have the ability to properly control heat.
Thanks man!

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
all slots will do is eat up your pads faster. you wont brake any better. if youre not racing, get any plain, blank rotor you can find. if a local parts store has any kind of warranty with their brand against warping or whatnot, get a set of them. its the pads that do the stopping, not the rotors. HPS is fine for the street.

if you do ever go to an actual track, plan on swapping pads and rotors to ones that are more suited to track driving. unless you drive like a grandma, you WILL overheat your street pads, HPS included. ive done it.
Thanks for the advice!
Old 12-03-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

There are some brackets out there that allow you to run a C5 rotor with LS1 front calipers. Do a search for C5 brake upgrade. Be careful not to get brackets made for C5 calipers. I think they'll fit but then the LS1 pads don't fit the rotor right.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Teching In

i think you should look at ws6store.com or search 6literater design
Old 12-05-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From my research LG Motorsports sells the bracket that allows you to use the C5 rotors with the LS1 caliper. C5 rotors are only $50 pc on Strano's site and are an inch larger in dia and have directional vanes for more efficient cooling. LG doesn't list the brackets on their site anymore you have to call. I'm curious how much the bracket is because whether or not you NEED C5 rotors they are better and cheaper then Fbody rotors!
Old 12-06-2009, 08:02 AM
TECH Addict

C5s are cheaper on tirerack.

as i suggested, i doubt youd feel a difference with C5 rotors but LS1 pads. either do it all, or not at all. dont do it half assed. new, solid rotors, new pads, fresh fluid and possibly braided lines will improve your braking and not be expensive. thats all you need until you actually start racing the car heavily.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually, LS1 calipers will give you more clamping force than the C5 calipers due to their larger pistons which combined with the C5 rotor give increased stopping power over the C5 calipers shifting your braking bias more towards the front which will give more front end dive. The main benefit of the C5 caliper is the fact that it is pressure cast and can withstand spreading from the abuse of heat.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silversrtman
Ive been searching around for this for a while and I cannot find a 100% clear answer. I need brakes for my 00 SS, and id like to retain my stock calipers to keep down on cost, and also because from what ive read the calipers are good enough for what i will need them for (some AutoX, possible road race, street driving, and stops at the 1/4 mile track) and have better clamping force anyway. Now my question is, can i use the C5 caliper brackets with my stock calipers just to run a larger rotor? The calipers look pretty much the same to me. If someone can chime in on this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
No,You need the adapter braket to bring the bigger caliper from the C6 out so as to put on the bigger rotor Thats what that bracket does,,,pushes the caliper away from the spindel so you can run a bigger rotor

Quick Reply: C5 Brake conversion kit question