LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

For those who have done the intake swap already

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For those who have done the intake swap already

I am doing the intake swap to an ls6 intake and tb, both are going to be ported.
What would you do differently this time around?
What parts would you use?
what issues did you run into that i should know.
Any suggestions would be great.
Also i am planning on using the stock fuel rails and i already have DOD disabled.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't think there have been too many intake swaps yet.

I wanted to keep DOD, but after going through the process to extend the DOD connector, If I was to start over I'd just switch to a LS2 valley cover and ditch DOD altogether.

If going that far, might just as well drop the engine and dust the DOD valvetrain - stick in a reasonable LS6 cam such as the comp cams XR269HR (1300 to 6300 powerband)

The LS6 TB is the same size as the LS4 TB, either one flows enough to support over 400 HP, so there really isn't any need to swap out the LS4 TB, just build an adapter for the LS6 intake.

If going with the LS2 intake (which doesn't flow any better than the LS6 based on the reviews I've seen), it is probably easier to just rewire the connetor and use the LS2 TB.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

i have the ls6 cam and my valvtrain is redone. Are you sure about the ls6 and ls4 tb being the same though??? cause that would save me like 500$
I would love you if thats true.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

nmp0098 used the stock LS4 TB, apparently its also 78mm just like the LS6. He made an adapter.

I actually just got back from his house, we were tuning his new setup. Tuning for the new intake wasn't bad at all either. The car pulls nice and strong now.

Oh, BTW, he used a valley truck from a pickup with DOD.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sittingmongoose
i have the ls6 cam and my valvtrain is redone. Are you sure about the ls6 and ls4 tb being the same though??? cause that would save me like 500$
I would love you if thats true.
No love here. The two TB's are the same bore size, however the LS6 TB is a three bolt design, cable operated with an idle air control circuit. Can't use the LS6 TB without changing out the DBW accelerator pedal. I have my doubts about whether you could get the IAC circuit to work with your ECM, and you lose cruise control.... Just build an adapter to use the LS4 TB, it's only a couple of hours machining work with a drill press, jigsaw (preferrably band saw) and some sanding cylinders.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TiredGXP
Don't think there have been too many intake swaps yet.

I wanted to keep DOD, but after going through the process to extend the DOD connector, If I was to start over I'd just switch to a LS2 valley cover and ditch DOD altogether.

If going that far, might just as well drop the engine and dust the DOD valvetrain - stick in a reasonable LS6 cam such as the comp cams XR269HR (1300 to 6300 powerband)

The LS6 TB is the same size as the LS4 TB, either one flows enough to support over 400 HP, so there really isn't any need to swap out the LS4 TB, just build an adapter for the LS6 intake.

If going with the LS2 intake (which doesn't flow any better than the LS6 based on the reviews I've seen), it is probably easier to just rewire the connetor and use the LS2 TB.

FYI, a good cam for the 5.3 is the lingenfelter GT2-3. Idles like stock and gains lots of power.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

I didnt want to use the ls6 tb, the only reason i was going to was because I thought it was larger. But since mine is already ported and apparently the same size, i will just use mine That saves me a lot of money.
JDMC5 what intake did he use?
Old 12-04-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS6, send him a pm I'm sure he'll be happy to walk you through what you need to know. Nate is a very knowledgeable guy and this sort of stuff interests him. I was able to check out his setup so I got to see how he did it.

Your car is going to be a monster after this swap, especially if you get some headers.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

ya def doing the headers, i am hoping for 310 to the wheel after this.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Regular

You've got two threads going with the same basic question! There are 4 things I would do differently:

1) Hunt high and low for an LS6 compatible fuel rail that accepts the shorter injectors. It likely isn't there, but it would be worth the time if it was.

2) Get the holes in my adapter plate correct the first time. But, I did everything with hand tools and in one weekend (except getting it back together, but my wife took mercy on me and drove me to work on Monday with only a shake of her head). I may do another one someday, but there is nothing so permanent as something temporary that works.

3) I would have mounted the MAP sensor down and to the right of the stock LS6 MAP sensor the first time, instead of wasting 2-3 precious hours finding out it didn't fit once I put the connector on.

4) I will find some way to get a 1/2" vacuum line bung where the stock LS6 1/4" vacuum bung is. Braking performance hasn't suffered much that I can tell, but that great pedal feel is now run of the mill.

By the way, if you look at my answers without looking at all of the original threads, things could get confusing.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Can i just chop the dod connector off the VLOM and forget about it since i have dod disabled?
Old 12-04-2009, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

Yes, that is essentially what you would be doing if you installed an LS2 valley cover. Just make sure it seals good. If you look at my pics, you can make out the cam and timing chain and you DON'T want that exposed to the open air. I took a sawzal to mine.

You'll have to check with TiredGXP on this, but he reported needing to clearance the bottom of the LS6 and grind on the valley cover to get it to fit. The stock replacement part (according to gmpartsdirect.com) is the same part as is found on the truck 5.3s. I couldn't buy the exact part number that comes on the car. The new one is maybe a 1/4" thinner (I didn't measure), and doesn't have the protrusions the stock LS4 has. Scope the pics and you'll see the difference on the top. So, I didn't have to do any grinding.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

so if i just went and not plug the dod wire in, it wont cause any issues?
Should i just chop that black connector off the VLOM and plug it. Or should i get a different valley cover?? which would be easier.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

could i get this and just be done with it?
GM Performance 12570471
Old 12-05-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes but you need the katech oil pressure adapter or need to get it welded up at an angle. Those are under 50 bucks on ebay and it's 85 for the adapter if interested in using that.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:17 AM
TECH Regular

As long as DOD is disabled, I don't think leaving the DOD connector disconnected is a problem as long as you don't command DOD. When I get a chance I'll pull my connector and disable DOD and let you know. But, I looked in HP Tuners and you can disable all four diagnostics (one for each solenoid).
Old 12-06-2009, 05:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

can some one please explain to me wat would be needed to keep the dod?
Old 12-06-2009, 06:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A lot of PITA ******* around modifying the DOD connector to relocate it out from under the intake mani. The connector sticks up so high above the valley cover that no other LS series intake can bolt on.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

i am half tempted to just snip the wire and see what happens lol I was just worried that it needed to be a closed circuit or something. This route is a lot cheaper cause than i can use the existing valley cover(130$) and not buy the adapter(85$). I might be able to keep this intake swap under 1000$

I was also wondering, since the ls2 has a much larger intake neck~90mm. Would it flow better? Keep in mind though i dont feel like spending the time and money to mess with the larger tb but would this yeild better results?
Old 12-06-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sittingmongoose
I was also wondering, since the ls2 has a much larger intake neck~90mm. Would it flow better? Keep in mind though i dont feel like spending the time and money to mess with the larger tb but would this yeild better results?
LS2 doesn't flow any better than an LS6. There's really no point going to a 90mm TB, it's larger than the LS4 can really use. Our TB is good for over 400 HP.

You can just barely create enough clearance for a 78mm intake throat, you're not going to be able to fit a 90mm intake without changing to a different valley cover, you simply cannot modify the LS4 OPSU mount enough to clear the larger intake throat because of how oil is supplied to the DOD solenoids.