Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

***car tried to die****

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Angry ***car tried to die****

Ok ya'll,

I was driving down the road at about 3500rpm in 3rd gear when the RPM's started revving up on its own enough for me to have to take my foot of the gas... It then did the same thing in 5th gear and in 6th gear except in 6th gear the RPM's would drop down for a second until I took my foot off and reapplied the gas.. I then got to a light in 1st gear and sat for about 45 seconds when all of a sudden the RPM's started to drop again! I then revved her up a few times and she was fine... WHAT THE HELL??? Anyone have any ideas? PLEASE HELP!!! We are supposed to get a freeze tomorrow and I dont want to break down in the middle of it....
Old 12-03-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive only seen this with modded throttle bodies... but check your throttle cable and your throttle body. Make sure that nothing is getting hung up and that the throttle body is opening and closing correctly. The close spring sould be fairly stiff.

If its getting jammed, or its caught on anything it could cause these same symptoms, because its taking in air (as if your foot was on the gas) even though your not touching the pedal.

I wonder also if it could be a clutch issue... If you were sitting at a light and it was low on fluid, it could be engaging the clutch just enough to kick down the rpms. try putting your car in a flat area and letting it sit with it in gear and your foot off the brakes. See if it rolls at all. If it does its a clutch issue.

Just the first 2 things that came to mind. I hope that helps!

Last edited by xxrillixx; 12-03-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
ive only seen this with modded throttle bodies... but check your throttle cable and your throttle body. Make sure that nothing is getting hung up and that the throttle body is opening and closing correctly. The close spring sould be fairly stiff.

If its getting jammed, or its caught on anything it could cause these same symptoms, because its taking in air (as if your foot was on the gas) even though your not touching the pedal.
There is no throttle cable on a CTS-V...it is drive by wire...
Old 12-03-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SkullV
There is no throttle cable on a CTS-V...it is drive by wire...
Yeah... your absolutely correct. Tells you how much ive done w/ mine.

I figured since the ls6 in my TA has one this one would too. Thought it started with the ls2's on the GTO... guess not. I havent played with DBW, so i dunno what the symptoms of one going out would be, but it would be worth a shot to make sure its getting a good connection.

Sorry about that.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would search for a vacuum leak. a small leak can make rev's go way up a big leak can make them go way down. Also check your TPS. Any codes?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

Fuel filter needs replaced maybe?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Launching!

Somthing similar happened on my LT1. It would stay at wot when i pushed it to the floor. Scared the crap outa me when i hit 90 on the interstate and had to cut the car off lol. Too bad some wd40 won't fix it for ya like it did me.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Ok, I took the car in and they told me that it had a BAD misfire, needed new plugs and wires and also needed the throttle body cleaned.. They guesstimated $500.00 to fix with a complete tune, new plugs and wires and cleaned throttle body!? Does that sound like the cause for my RPM's spiking and it also dead at a light on the way to the shop! Please help! Any info would be much appreciated...
Old 12-05-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

What shop did you take it to and what did they use to diagnose the misfire? What do you mean complete tune (performance PCM tune?) Find out what cyl is misfiring and swap the plug wire with another cyl and see if the misfire continues, if it does then your plug wire is the issue, then do the same for the plug if that isnt the problem, then swap the coil packs from one side of the motor to the next, then check the injectors.

Don't let a shop charge you $500 to do what you can easily do for free! Also cleaning the throttle body is a 10 minute job. The gasket is reusable.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

I took it to amcco but I'm not sure what they used to diacnose it with... he also said that I need to use ac delco parts or I will have issues... and he said it would be the regular complete tune up... replace filters, luids exc...
Old 12-05-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

I also everything u just said to do I have never done before... is there a write up that I can use to do it and would you suggest that I try and do it on my own if I have never done that?
Old 12-05-2009, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

Oh.. They also said that its giving a theft fuel code too? what the hell is that?
Old 12-05-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

The first part is just swapping plugs and wires (although I guess you don't have anything to scan the misfires with). The second part is swapping the coil packs from one side of the motor to another. Not sure on a write up though. I'm sure you can change the fluids on your own that'll save you some money, and as far as the throttle body, it is 3 bolts (one on top 2 on bottom). One vacuum line to pull off (passenger top) and 2 coolant lines on the bottom. Once it is off spray the blade and linkage with carb cleaner, then brush it off with a tooth brush.

P.S. I wouldn't worry about using Delco parts, change your spark plugs with NGKT55IX plugs, and use the spark plug wires of your choice.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:19 PM
Launching!

If you have an after-market anti-theft system installed on you car, then that may cause your problem. Where every connection of the anti-theft system is installed, that connection becomes suspect.

Is the misfire "intermittent" or continuous in the cycle.

If it is continuous, then a simple & easy way to locate a misfire is with an inductive timing light. Just clamp on each plug wire and read the light. Wah-la, you won't even get your hands dirty.

From what you describe, I suspect that some referrence voltages are not what they should be. Check all your 'ground' connections. These car computers will drive even a good tech 'up a wall' when there is a poor ground connection.
And I hope you do not have contaminated fuel.

good luck.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:38 AM
TECH Resident

Hmm a cheap fix would be changing your spark plugs and wires (regular maintnance anyways) and then for good measure you could seafoam the car if the first few steps didnt fix the problem
Old 12-06-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

first,if your not comfortable doing the work yourself bring it in to a shop....second,do the tune up(fuel/air filter....plugs and wires) and have them clean that throttle body..when ever i buy anything (car..bike..boat etc) i change all fluids,give it a tune up and make sure that everything is 100% as i tend my drive my toys hard. thats my advice

Quick Reply: ***car tried to die****