New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where to start?

Old 12-04-2009, 01:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where to start?

ok i bought my first LS1 in June. Its a 2002 WS6 with 96k miles. looks like it just came off the floor and drives strong. my friend has same car with half the miles and his runs rougher than mine. right now its bone stock. i bought a heavy duty clutch and main cylinder. will easily handle 750 hp. i made sure i got a good one as to not have to worry about it for some time. but question is where do i go from there? is there a nother part i need to do before i start actually modding this car? i want to do a full exhaust setup with LTH, ORY, and dont know if i want to get rid of cats or do a new cat back exhaust. can i do that next? or will that money be better served getting another vital part i need? any help would be great!
Old 12-04-2009, 01:18 AM
11 Second Club

i would say beef up the transmission .. then rear end .. then motor..just a suggestion..
Old 12-04-2009, 09:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would look into your normal bolt on mods until you decide what your plans are for the car. Lid, Headers/Y-pipe, catback, etc. are all good worthwhile mods to a stock car. I would also recommend putting in a set of subframe connectors. They are relatively inexpensive and will help avoid future rattles. From there you can decide what way you want to go with the car and make plans from there. Let me know if you have any questions or if we can help!

Jon
Old 12-04-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks a lot guys. I wanted to do exhaust next because i LOVE the sound of these cars with exhaust. sub frame connectors is a good idea. my friend has a 1" lowering kit he said i can have so while doing that im buying stuff for the suspension (struts, shocks, etc) as well so i will do that when i am doing the suspension. i just know the clutch cant handle any more hp than stock basically. How do i go about beefing up the transmission? i thought people were running a lot of horse on stock transmissions all the time. Was i wrong? sooner or later i will be doing a new 9" rear because people are telling me thats the best. but i wont be adding crazy amount of HP for a while. any other suggestions welcome. I have friends who are mechanics that can help me. I dont know a great deal about cars. Bolt ons i can handle but engines and transmissions i will have my friends help so i dont kill my car. but i do want to do as much of the work as possible.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know i would get gears and exhaust first, then its faster and sounds better and funner to drive while your figurin what else your gonna do
Old 12-04-2009, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you know you want to do a Y instead of a true dual system, I'd start with a catback and a lid (I'm waiting because I don't know!), beyond that, anything will help (shocks, sways, brakes, headers, etc.)

Catback and lid should give you an extra 10-20 hp, plus will support any other mods you'll do while not costing that much.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bwilde86
Thanks a lot guys. I wanted to do exhaust next because i LOVE the sound of these cars with exhaust. sub frame connectors is a good idea. my friend has a 1" lowering kit he said i can have so while doing that im buying stuff for the suspension (struts, shocks, etc) as well so i will do that when i am doing the suspension. i just know the clutch cant handle any more hp than stock basically. How do i go about beefing up the transmission? i thought people were running a lot of horse on stock transmissions all the time. Was i wrong? sooner or later i will be doing a new 9" rear because people are telling me thats the best. but i wont be adding crazy amount of HP for a while. any other suggestions welcome. I have friends who are mechanics that can help me. I dont know a great deal about cars. Bolt ons i can handle but engines and transmissions i will have my friends help so i dont kill my car. but i do want to do as much of the work as possible.

You have subframe connectors bro.....
Old 12-07-2009, 09:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The factory tranny can take a decent amount of power. I would just put a clutch in it and let it go. Unless you are having problems with the tranny or it isn't shifting smooth, leave it alone.

Jon

Search this Thread