Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator went out what do you think of this idea LOL

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Alternator went out what do you think of this idea LOL

Ok well i bought an alternator a while back from AutoZone. Lifetime warranty.

Went in today and they wont have my replacement alternator in untill Tuesday!
(Pretty pissed about that)

So i was wondering if I could go buy a new alternator from another parts store, throw it in for a few days so I can still get to work/school/ ect, and then when the replacement gets here, take it out and return the unit purchased from ____ parts store.

Would they do that?? Or would I be stuck with it?? I NEED a car.

Think I could do that then go back in and say "hey, this thing sucks! I bought a high performance unit from a speed shop"

Your thoughts??

(Yes i know this is a dick move but im desperate lol)
Old 12-04-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about if you go another one from a different store that works just fine why not leave it in the car? Then cancel the order on the other alt. Just try advance, napa, o reilys or anything like that.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not had the best of luck with duralast parts. But to answer your question once you install the part on your car they will not take it back unless its defective. So yes you will be stuck with it.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by araber89
How about if you go another one from a different store that works just fine why not leave it in the car? Then cancel the order on the other alt. Just try advance, napa, o reilys or anything like that.
Because im getting another one for free.. lol
Old 12-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Launching!

tryin to stick it to the man huh? lol Yeah they wont take it back if after you put it on, i tried to get my money back once after an ant went out i got another one somewhere else and they wouldnt give me my $ back and it really was a bad alt , they said they only replace not refund, when i told them i had the dealer put a new alt on they gave me a store credit, plus if you say its bad they have a way to check it to make sure b4 they do anything, did you ask them if another autozone nearby had it in stock?
Old 12-04-2009, 07:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by zaaronz
tryin to stick it to the man huh? lol Yeah they wont take it back if after you put it on, i tried to get my money back once after an ant went out i got another one somewhere else and they wouldnt give me my $ back and it really was a bad alt , they said they only replace not refund, when i told them i had the dealer put a new alt on they gave me a store credit, plus if you say its bad they have a way to check it to make sure b4 they do anything, did you ask them if another autozone nearby had it in stock?
Yeah i asked if there was a nearby location that had one I could run and pick up and they responded with a "Nope" LOL

My girl said she'd let me borrow her car for a few days though so at least I can still get around. A Hyundai Accent with a whopping 110 hp and 106 lb ft of torque!!! Sound be a good few days
Old 12-04-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I find it really hard to believe it will take them that long to get a new alternator to you. You didn't **** the counter person off did you haha. I do a lot of work on many different cars and I've had some really off the wall parts come in the next business day from Autozone. An alternator is a VERY common replacement part that they should easily be able to get next day. I would call another nearby Autozone and check with them. Here in Michigan, they are around every street corner but not sure how it is by you.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just call around to nearby autozone's and see if they have it.... I have the same autozone alt and I've gone through about 10 diff ones... whenever my engine revs too high it'll short the alt... so I'm working on fixing that.... doesn't bother me as much right now since I don't drive the car... lol
Old 12-04-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z28_YOU_HO
Because im getting another one for free.. lol
I now see how its working. The first time I read it i thought you were saying you needed to buy it from autozone because of the warranty. Ya i would def check with other autozone's your warranty will work with them all. Other then that... Borrow a car which it sounds like you are. Watch that all that torque doesn't get away from you.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You will get stuck with it! Even if you walk in with a brand new alternator they will notice its not theirs, plus they will look it up on your customer record...