Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Finished up my CTS-V Brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finished up my CTS-V Brake upgrade

After a few months of collecting the parts, I finally got everything I needed and got them on the car. The install took me probably a total of 6 or 7 hours, with the hardest part being swapping out the 2 axle brake lines to the braided lines. I got the line wrench on the fitting, and twisted enough for it to start leaking, but couldnt seem to get it to turn, so I sat there with brake fluid dripping all over me for a good 10-15 minutes trying to get the fitting and retaining clip off. Plus I had to keep crawling out from under the car to top up the MC to make sure it didnt run dry on me while I was working on that fitting. Good times I must say! lol But aside from that, the install was pretty smooth with no surprises. Anywho, here are some pics of the setup laid out...

And here are a few of them installed... Dont mind the car, it is very much a work in progress, and could use several baths!

Ive been working on putting some easy miles on them the past few days before I go ahead and bed in the pads, but so far my reaction is positive. I think I need to go back and bleed them one more time, as the pedal isnt as firm as I would like, but so far I really like the feel of them. Not touchy at all, very smooth and progressive. Part of the reason I made the switch was because the stock brakes seemed to really have trouble dealing with the larger heavier 19" Ruff Racing wheels I switched to from my Z06s that I had before. Im sure switching to a more aggressive pad would have helped alleviate that, but hey, it was a good excuse to do this swap...Not to mention this setup is much prettier! haha
Old 12-04-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice, how much was the total
Old 12-05-2009, 01:59 AM
TECH Resident

Nice where did u get the calipers painted/coated at? How much w/ the brembo lettering? I c u went w/ r1 concept rotors? So did I. Still piecing together the kit as well. I got everything doe the front minus pin kit. I'm waiting on getting rims and to see if n e one finds a way to adapt the brembo rears. Nonetheless less looks bad ***
Old 12-06-2009, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow that's amazing looking!

I've been pondering doing the Brembos or the C5 caliper swap. I'd like to still be able to run the factory 17"s but I've heard that's not possible with the Brembo set up.

Oh and where did you find the Brembos and price?
Old 12-06-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the good words...

I had the calipers redone by silverghost, he charged $175 (Though he was running a sale recently so might be even cheaper now if its still going on). I installed the Brembo decals myself, and got them from eBay. I sent the decals to him, but he said he can only clear over black decals, the white decals will bleed and turn pink, so I just put them on myself after.

And yeah I went with the R1C rotors because they offered the drilled and slotted option, so they would match the rotors I have in the rear already. But after I placed the order, they told me the drilled+slotted rotors were on a 6month backorder, and so I just went with the drilled ones instead. Had I known that in advance, I would have just stuck with the Z06 stockers, and saved the $150 difference in price. But they do seem to be a quality piece, so I dont feel it was money badly spent.

The total came out to be a smidge over $1400, but that price includes a set of rear hawk pads, and stainless brakelines for the rear of the car also. I couldnt find a reasonably priced rear only brake line kit, so I just got the full techna-fit kit from Sam, and Ill just sell off the front lines im not using and recoup some of the cost. In fact I can probably sell off the front rotors and calipers to someone doing the upgrade from LT1 brakes, and make this swap even less expensive. Oh, and the Eibach spacers came with new wheel studs already, so I didnt need to buy the ARP ones afterall, just FYI for anyone else working on doing the swap.

Thats the great thing about this setup vs the off the shelf setups, is that you can piece it together as money allows, and really spread the cost out.

Last edited by 00CaliforniaZ28; 12-06-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

Love the setup!! Whats the minimum wheel size you need ? 18s ?
Old 12-07-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks great man, I really like the powerdercoated red calipers with the Brembo logo.

Just a tip, when you bleed the calipers, start with the inboard side of the caliper, then do the outboard side. Thats per Brembo
Old 12-09-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks great! What I don't understand is why you went that route though. For that kind of money, you could have just went with the C6 Z06 calipers. The cost of those plus the powdercoating is probably more than the Z06 calipers (I think there about $500 a pair and already red, so no need to have the powdercoated).
Old 12-09-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

looks good bro
Old 12-09-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Also wondering where you got the calipers? The price discussed in the initial thread was $166 for each loaded caliper. I just checked and it's $234, 1 1/2 years later.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I guess I could have gone with the Z06 6-piston units, but I just preferred the Brembo calipers. Im sure for my application, either unit would have worked just fine, though. Just personal choice

And I cant remember what I paid for the calipers exactly, but it was in the $150 range, I got them from GMParts Direct, and then still had to buy the pin kit as well for each caliper.

And thanks Wesman, I remember reading that in the writeup someone did about bleeding the inboard side first, so thats how I did them the first time. The pedal is actually firming up with the more miles ive put on them, but will still end up bleeding them once more when I get around to it!
Old 12-16-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good .... soon i will have mine too.

Quick Reply: Finished up my CTS-V Brake upgrade