Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No oil pressure!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No oil pressure!!!!

My car was at the exaust shop today and I got off work late so I had to go pick it up tonight after they were already closed. But anyways I started the car and pulled out on the street and noticed I had Absolutly NO oil pressure. So I pulled into the walmart next door. Checked the oil level and its good. got my buddy to bring an extra set of gauges and those read 0 oil pressure too. can the oil pump just stop working? or dose this sound like a sensor problem? How can I check to see if I acually have oil pressure??
Old 12-05-2009, 12:13 AM
FormerVendor

Considering 1. the Oil Pump is located on the front of the crankshaft behind the timing cover it is turning for sure. whether it is providing oil pressure I can't say, but it sounds like a sensor problem if your not getting any reading.

I would check the wire first and make sure it did not get cut or damaged. I don't see how an exhaust shop could have affected oil pressure unless they accidentally clipped the wire.

Sorry I am not sure how to tell you to check if it is getting actual pressure short of pulling off a valve cover.

When your ready for the 4L80e let me know. As for the Cam well... let just get you fixed up first so you don't have to get that 6.0 sooner then later.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Restricted User

Come on people how can I check my oil pressure?
Old 12-05-2009, 05:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to let you know my experiance with oil pumps just flat out failing, I drove my car to my girlfriends house. All was well with the car. No pressure probs, no check gauges lights, nothing. 25 minutes later we ran out of ice so I went to go get some. When I started the car, the oil pressure was at zero and check gauges was on. Figuring the same aformentioned diagnosis as Stroker396, it had to be the sending unit in my opinion. So I drove it to get ice and back. No problems. When I left that night, I drove staring at the zero oil pressure and "check gauges" light paying extreme attention for noises and all. The car started studdering and making noise so I pulled it over and had a wrecker take the car home. So the oil pump DID fail when nothing was changed from the time I arrived at my girls house to when I left to get ice.

So, I'm now on my way to building my 370 'cause my no oil pressure driving left a **** ton of brass in the oil. Just letting you know, it can happen.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irby
Come on people how can I check my oil pressure?
Mechanical gauge! Hook it up here.

No oil pressure!!!!-oiltap.jpg
Old 12-05-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my check engine light came on one night, i checked all my fuses and once i replaced the one that was out everything began working again. maybe give it a try couldnt hurt.