Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header size? 347ci 300+ hit, coating pistons and chambers

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header size? 347ci 300+ hit, coating pistons and chambers

well im wanting to know what size i should go with, 1 3/4 or the tsp 1 7/8 headers. is 1 3/4 gonna support a 300+ shot? i dont want to be to restriced. im not really in the market for the super high dollar headers, but i dont want to finish it all off with something half ***. any input would be great.

coating pistons and chambers,i tried searching this earlier today and didnt find much. whats the benefits? who do i get in contact with to look into this?

also hard block? i still want to be able to drive it on the street. dont know much about this either im willing to do the extra small things for longevity bc the car has been down awhile.

any help is well appreciated guys.

Last edited by 418redz28; 12-06-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

im really looking for baked to chime in since im trying to do along the same set up.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would run 1 7/8...irc they made more power then 1 3/4 pacesetters on a 346 bolt on car (like 12+hp) and you will want to get as much exhaust out as you can with that much spray...
Old 12-07-2009, 06:05 AM
On The Tree

yea thats what i was thinking, bc the ci. im looking for some longevity out of this motor so the small things will help like coating, and hard block if its worth it. i wanna be able to run around 200-250hp range two stages wet, at any given time and then lean on it pretty hard if i need to. i know i will be pushing the limits of my parts, but i have seen way more abuse on sbc stuff and its lasted.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:23 AM
TECH Resident

go big, you really cant put to much header on it if your spraying big. plus with a proper tune the big tubes dont seem to effect these engines in a negitive way anyway. the long exhuast duration of a nitrous cam is trying to aid in getting rid of all those spent gasses from forcing extra O2 in the cylinder. a good open exhaust port and big tube header will aid even farther. i can call baked and have him chime in if you want. lol
Old 12-07-2009, 06:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 3/4 will choke it. Trust me, I have them right now. I am going with 2 inch this winter.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:35 AM
On The Tree

he seems to be doing along the lines of what im wanting to do. i like the idea of bigger and better parts but i dont want to afford it.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:53 PM
8 second mod

i would go 1 7/8 to 2" step style. i run kooks. i had 1 7/8 on my 346, now on my 427 i run 2" with 3 1/2 collectors.
big with big spray is good
Old 12-07-2009, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

well i have decided im gonna run 1 7/8 headers. wow i got alot of stuff bought already and i have made a list of stuff i still need to purchase. well over thousands spent and still need to spend more lol even for a ''BUDGET'' this stuff is all so expensive! im still looking for more info on piston top coating my diamonds and the chambers of my heads. wanting to know more on hardblocking my appllication. i have several more ?s but that will come with time. once again guys thanks for chiming in!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 07:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I need to get me some 1 7/8" headers too. I'm running an old set of 1 3/4 Jet Hot's that are about half rusted LOL.

I didn't Hard Block mine but I'm considering it while I have it apart to freshen it up this winter. I'll probably just fill it half way at most though if I do it at all.

You been spying on me? I've also been tossing around the idea of getting my pistons and chambers coated, I haven't had any issues thus far but it couldn't hurt. Just remember that if you do one (pistons or chambers) you will need to do the other or all the heat will get generated to the un-coated surface and burn your **** up. Then again, I may not mess with it. I have had pretty good luck out of it the way it is and I have put it through about the worst **** you could do to an engine. Too lean, too fat, over timed, etc. It was all over the place when I was first trying to learn about hitting it big.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:42 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Noyzee
i would go 1 7/8 to 2" step style. i run kooks. i had 1 7/8 on my 346, now on my 427 i run 2" with 3 1/2 collectors.
big with big spray is good
You sill have those 1 7/8ths laying around? If you do I'll put them on my car to get them out of your way LOL.

You been messing with your car any lately?
Old 12-07-2009, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

haha not quite spying. i was looking at some stuff on yellowbullet and seen some threads about coating pistons and chambers. i didnt really find any thing about ls over there so i typed it in here and u came up. i like the idea of going fast as possible on a ''budget'' u seem to be doing the best job. some of the other big guys on here have alot of top dollar stuff and i just dont want to go that route bc i have other stuff going on. im pretty much trying to hit it big but im trying to make sure i have everything in line to do so. i would like to run 5.90 or faster in the 1/8. if i can get 5.90s i will be happy as hell. i have been researching trex cam and a big shot looks like noyzee has made over 700 rwhp in the past. highly unlikely i will make that power with that cam. at least imo but thats why im here asking. trex plus big shot... will that get me there?
Old 12-08-2009, 07:49 AM
9 Second Club

The T-Rex is the last cam I would run in my motor. I just haven't been impressed with it. They usually make decent peak hp but if you look at the rest of the RPM range they aren't too impressive compared to some of the other cams. You don't need a big "mule dick" cam to go fast either, the cam in my car is just a **** hair bigger than a G5X2. Through a stalled auto, 9", and 325-50's my car made 435 to the tire and still had good mid range power. I don't have big fancy heads either, they are an old set of Absolute speed 2.5's, 853's to beat it all.
My setup made 711 rwhp one one big shot, I've never dyno'd it with both kits setup the way it is now, I'm just not crazy about spraying on the dyno.

The biggest part to the whole equation is going to be the tune up on the nitrous. If you don't know how to tune it then you are going to be leaving alot on the table and will more than likely hurt something eventually.

Be careful where you get your info, there are alot of people (and companies) that don't have enough real world experience with nitrous to be giving tuning advice.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

well i guess im gonna rethink the cam decesion, i know u dont a big cam to go fast im wanting to have a choppy idle as well but if its not gonna work well then ill go another route. thats all the more impressive that u are using 853, i hope i can get all my stuff to work that well, as for getting info i try and watch it bc there is so much **** going on that i even stop and think wtf is these people thinking. thats why i wanted someones advise that has done what im wanting to do. it makes it easier to decide on parts. as for the tune, i plan on starting small and jumping up. i have a friend that runs maco 10.5 that has ran as much as 450hp shot on a cast sbc crank i plan on getting him to show me some ins and outs of tuning on n20. i appreciate all the good info as it helps me alot!
Old 12-08-2009, 04:16 PM
9 Second Club

There is some really good info on YB. Just learn how to read your plugs and don't worry about what the wide band says. Some people on here would **** if they saw what the wide band reads when i spray my car LOL.

The T rex cars do sound a little different than other cams but for the most part the medium sized cams sound pretty much the same the big mule dick cams do. I had a 224 in my car when I first got it and it sounded pretty much the same as the G5X3 I had in my old car.

I'm not saying that big cams don't work well or anything, I'm just saying that IMO it's not worth 5-10 extra PEAK HP that you might gain for the extra wear and tear that you are going to have because you have to twist it to the moon. It will also run that much worse on motor with a huge cam and a tight nitrous converter. It won't be able to do **** down low. (If you care about running it N/A at all)
Old 12-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Coat the pistons, that will help prevent them from getting damaged, most people don't coat the chambers of the heads, I do know a couple people that have, it's not a bad idea, but wether it's worth it I can't say. Coating on the pistons, that's worth it IMO.

The headers, go as big as you can, it will not hurt you one bit if you're spraying alot. I run the 1 7/8 stepped to 2 inch on my 402, next motor will get them initially unless I end up with a tall deck and have to have a set built. I had 1 3/4 on the car, went to the bigger ones and it did pick up, I can't say exactly due to different track/weather conditions, but it did pick up.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:03 PM
9 Second Club

If you coat the pistons then you need to coat the chambers too.

I do agree with the bigger the better on the headers. My 1 3/4 have worked fine for me but I'm sure 1 7/8 would do a little better.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

good info guys thanks. is this coating something i can have done at a local powder coat shop or what?
Old 12-08-2009, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

yea i do care a lil bit about na bc the car will still see the street. so now im thinking along the lines of a custom cam, or something along the lines of a medium sized cam
Old 12-08-2009, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Kind of back on topic, I am wanting to upgrade my headers. I currently am running the old SLP longtubes(lowtubes) and I am contemplating between QTP or Kooks. QTP only makes 1 3/4 primaries and Kooks makes that and 1 7/8 that I have been looking at. I the car sees a lot of street racing, and heads to the track about 6-7 times year. Currently running a 150shot and times are 10.73 pretty much full weight car. I only want to the car to run low 10s. What would be a good sized header for me. How much nitrous will it take to get to low 10s. Any other info needed just let me know I will share.

Quick Reply: header size? 347ci 300+ hit, coating pistons and chambers