What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

2000 Trans Am - Most I could get out of it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2000 Trans Am - Most I could get out of it?

Short story. I think I want to get a newer Grand Prix for the wife to drive to work, and the Trans Am seems to only sit in the garage. Its an A4 with 106,000 miles on it. KBB trade in would be like $5200 or so on it. Should I take that, or do you think I could get someone to pick it up locally for like 6500-7500? I don't want to leave money on the table. Also we just got our first snow fall this morning, obviously not a good time to try and sell V-8 rear wheel drive car. But on the other-hand that means that it is a good time to buy if you are looking for a deal... any opinions? Obviously the correct call would be to never sell it, or to at least wait until spring, but I want opinions on today's scenario. Craigslist a one day listing of first $6 or $7k takes it home, or trade it in to the dealer?
Old 12-07-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Junkie

depends on where you live. Around here theres a couple modded T/A's goin for less than I'd like for my BONE STOCK T/A. Its just a consumer thing. These things are classics now and its "beauty in the eye of the beholder" kinda thing. List it for what you want for it and let it ride.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

There really aren't too many of them around. I searched autotrader and there were only like 4 of them for sale in a 50 mile radius, all of which were at dealers where they were asking a lot for them.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

It is a tough time to sell during the holidays but as you stated it is also a great time to BUY! The perfect scenario for you 'right now' is to sell locally in your newspaper, ebay classified (I think it is still free for listing), or Craigslist for the next week or two and take a shot at grabbing some cash. The cash will work a lot better for you when you purchase the wife's car. The closer to Xmas you get (even the week after) the better the deal will be for you as dealers need to clear stock heading into 2010. Good luck!
Old 12-07-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would of course suggest keeping it..

But, I think you could definitely pull more than 5k for it. Although, if you are looking for a no hassle/quick sale then taking that on a trade in might be your best bet.
Put it on the board and around town for 6500-7k and see how that goes. I would rather sell it to someone on here for trade in value (even if it is worth more) than let a car dealer get it and it go to someone that doesn't care for the cars.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lemons12
I would of course suggest keeping it..

But, I think you could definitely pull more than 5k for it. Although, if you are looking for a no hassle/quick sale then taking that on a trade in might be your best bet.
Put it on the board and around town for 6500-7k and see how that goes. I would rather sell it to someone on here for trade in value (even if it is worth more) than let a car dealer get it and it go to someone that doesn't care for the cars.
very true, i dont see any dealership giving more than 4 on trade in,when i got my 01 ws6, i traded in a 93 eldorado with the 4.9. new tranny, car was spotless and shined like new, 90 thousand miles, they wanted to give me 600 bucks for it. i laughed and walked out. told them it was an insult
Old 12-07-2009, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

I say ask for 10 on craigslist and see what you get. Just have good pictures of the vechile with a good detailed description
Old 12-07-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

7.5k-8k sounds fair during this season.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nitr0racing21
I say ask for 10 on craigslist and see what you get. Just have good pictures of the vechile with a good detailed description
Had it listed for 9k on there two different times... just a couple of very loose bites.

I listed it for $7900, I'll see if I get any inquiries...

Quick Reply: 2000 Trans Am - Most I could get out of it?