Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

402/408 - F2 ProCharger too big?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 402/408 - F2 ProCharger too big?

Just getting opinions on the matter...

Currently planning to build a 6.0L based 402/8 for boost and 93 pump gas.

Would an F2 head unit be too large for this engine for street duty? Not sure what other information is needed...let me know!

Thanks
Erik
Old 12-07-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm no procharger expert by any means, but there is a member on here with an LSX 402 with an F2 with 26 psi and the blower is still chuggin' along
Old 12-07-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

maybe he can tune in!
Old 12-07-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe his username is rufretic?
Old 12-08-2009, 04:26 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by erikthegoalie
Just getting opinions on the matter...

Currently planning to build a 6.0L based 402/8 for boost and 93 pump gas.

Would an F2 head unit be too large for this engine for street duty? Not sure what other information is needed...let me know!

Thanks
Erik

Considering you are using an 6.0L engine with four bolts per cylinder and 93 octane fuel, I wouldn't go any larger on a head unit than an F-1A. The F-1A will make all the boost the heads and octane can handle.

The above dyno graph is from an LS2/402, EPP blower cam. AFR 225 off the shelf heads, FAST 92mm intake, ProCharger F-1A head unit, 93 octane along with methanol injection. At only 12.5 psi this blower is not even close to being maxed out. This is on our conservative Mustang chassis dyno, and the car is a CTS-V with an IRS rear. Bob
Old 12-08-2009, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

Hey Bob,
Thanks for the reply! I definately was concerned about the octane, IATs, and the fact that it is a 4 bolt-per-cyl block...I knew at some point with a large head unit I would reach the maximum capacity of one of those factors...

I definately am digging that graph. Looks to be around what I am shooting for.

Was that kit intercooled as well, or did it just have meth?

Thanks
Old 12-08-2009, 08:59 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Hey Bob,
Thanks for the reply! I definately was concerned about the octane, IATs, and the fact that it is a 4 bolt-per-cyl block...I knew at some point with a large head unit I would reach the maximum capacity of one of those factors...

Thanks
It is intercooled, here is a link to the build. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=29 Thanks! Bob
Old 12-08-2009, 09:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

i agree with Bob, F2 is a pretty big unit, the F1 is the largest of the smaller blowers, i have used them on 500" BB's
i just built a 403, D1SC, EPP cam, AFR 225 heads, blowing thru a carb, with an intercooler-in my chevelle, its an animal on the street, kind of wish i had gotten smaller heads, more power yet in the lower rpm's, but ya cant look a gift horses, ya know, lol
hope to dyno it soon, as the afr's are way to rich, so i need to dial it in-i looked at using the F1R, but the trans is a little thicker, and im using a vette front setup, was going to make it tougher for an air intake-the F1R is def room to grow though
Old 12-08-2009, 11:47 PM
FormerVendor

Hey Bob,

Thanks
Actually you will be able to get away with more peak power with a bigger head unit. Larger head units like the F2 vs a F1a will make less power under the curve on lower boost levels than a smaller head unit at the same boost amount.

Thats not a benefit if planning to keep power levels down, but if you are looking for 1k+ rwhp then F2 would be my choice.

If you are thinking about pump gas + meth power levels then F2 is way over kill.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks Jim,

Just seeing if anyone else has experience as well! I replied to your PM...
Old 12-09-2009, 04:53 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by forcd ind
i agree with Bob, F2 is a pretty big unit, the F1 is the largest of the smaller blowers, i have used them on 500" BB's
i just built a 403, D1SC, EPP cam, AFR 225 heads, blowing thru a carb, with an intercooler-in my chevelle, its an animal on the street, kind of wish i had gotten smaller heads, more power yet in the lower rpm's, but ya cant look a gift horses, ya know, lol
hope to dyno it soon, as the afr's are way to rich, so i need to dial it in-i looked at using the F1R, but the trans is a little thicker, and im using a vette front setup, was going to make it tougher for an air intake-the F1R is def room to grow though
The F-1R takes more power to turn it, and as a result will tend to give you more belt slippage problems. You're better off with the smaller head unit for street use. Bob
Old 12-09-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Bob- what if it is the cog driven kit? I was also wondering what the difference was between the F1 and the F1-R (aside from the larger size of the F1R). Are there any internal advantages or anything like that? Again, this unit will be intended for street duties once in a while.

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

Bob...Please call me back...Thanks Jason Shell
Old 12-10-2009, 04:32 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Bob- what if it is the cog driven kit? I was also wondering what the difference was between the F1 and the F1-R (aside from the larger size of the F1R). Are there any internal advantages or anything like that? Again, this unit will be intended for street duties once in a while.

Thanks!
Take a look at the pic's of my Camaro at this link. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=12
We started with an F-1A with our cog drive, then we moved up to an F-1C, which uses the same housing as the F-1R. We were seeing 19 to 20 psi of boost with the F-1A maxed out, we'll be seeing very shortly just how much added boost we'll see out of the F-1C, just as soon as we swap out the valvesprings. The F-1R uses a lot more horsepower to turn it than an F-1A or an F-1C, and the A or C will generally make all the boost our 4 bolt per cylinder heads can tolerate. Bob
Old 12-10-2009, 04:34 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jashell1562
Will do Jason, did you call yesterday afternoon? I was on the road and went over to RPM Transmissions. Thanks. Bob
Old 12-10-2009, 08:29 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jashell1562
Hi Jason, I just called your # and left you a message. Give me a call back when you get a chance. Thanks. Bob
Old 12-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Launching!

I would rec going with the F1C. If you are doing it more for street. The f1r and f2 cause a lot of drag on the motor and you will make less power with them if your not under load and max boost. The F1R-F2 blowers have different gears and also the impellers are dif from the F1C and smaller blowers. You would have to max out the blower besause running them not to there fullest will make the motor make less power vs using a smaller blower that's easier to turn. I feel that any car that makes a true 700+rwhp is a lot fo the street. You will be spinning the tires to atleast 50mph before the wheels will start to roll into it. One of the other things is the bracket that you will be using. I wouldn't run an f2 on the j bracket if my life was on the line. The only bracket I would trust to make power that won't have belt slip or want to pull the blower and kill the bearings is the crank drive. It only works on standard rotation blower though, Not rev. They also run about 3300 for the bracket. But are worth every penny if you really race the car.

Last edited by haighter; 12-14-2009 at 02:13 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

If you realisctically will make more than 900hp and have the room for a cog drive, go with the F2. If not go with a F1C.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by haighter
I would rec going with the F1C. If you are doing it more for street. The f1r and f2 cause a lot of drag on the motor and you will make less power with them if your not under load and max boost. The F1R-F2 blowers have different gears and also the impellers are dif from the F1C and smaller blowers. You would have to max out the blower besause running them not to there fullest will make the motor make less power vs using a smaller blower that's easier to turn. I feel that any car that makes a true 700+rwhp is a lot fo the street. You will be spinning the tires to atleast 50mph before the wheels will start to roll into it. One of the other things is the bracket that you will be using. I wouldn't run an f2 on the j bracket if my life was on the line. The only bracket I would trust to make power that won't have bel

I will look into that unit, thanks!
Old 12-13-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by john_sblendorio
If you realisctically will make more than 900hp and have the room for a cog drive, go with the F2. If not go with a F1C.
I definately have room for a larger unit and DEFINATELY will have the traction...the car is back halved and has 33" sportmans...not worried about hooking! Check it out:

Quick Reply: 402/408 - F2 ProCharger too big?