Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam trigger with Big Stuff 3

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam trigger with Big Stuff 3

When using the Big stuff 3, how much of a cam sensor signal area do you need for the sensor to read it? I'll be use a MSD crank trigger and Jesel belt drive cam set-up and I need to know how much surface area you need on the upper cam gear for the Big Stuff 3 to trigger it properly using a GM cam sensor? Does it have to be half the gear like a factory cam gear or can it be just a button? Any info and pics would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are using a 4x crank you need a 1x cam signal, that is sold by Jesel I believe. You will need a dist ignition to run 4x.

Kurt
Old 12-09-2009, 09:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 427
If you are using a 4x crank you need a 1x cam signal, that is sold by Jesel I believe. You will need a dist ignition to run 4x.

Kurt
Thanks for the reply.

I am using a Jesel belt drive distributor and Jesel belt drive cam but Jesel does not have a cam trigger set-up on their upper belt drive cam gear. That’s the gear I’m going to make and I’m working with Jesel on this part.

I’m going to be using a stock LS2 cam sensor... And what I specifically need to know is how large does the trigger point (The metal strip/button/raised section on the upper cam gear need to be) when using a Big Stuff 3 system with a MSD crank trigger and a distrubitor? I’ve been using the Haltech E11V2 systems, and all it requires is a metal button on the upper cam gear for the cam sensor to set-up the sequential system... I have no idea what the BS3 system will need to see to set-up the same event... If this is a simple or even dumb question, please forgive my ignorance. I’ve never used the BS3 system so I just don't know...
Old 12-09-2009, 10:15 AM
7 Second Club

Jesel has a cam trigger for their belt drive, do you want to order one?
Old 12-09-2009, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Jesel has a cam trigger for their belt drive, do you want to order one?
I’m a authorized Dealer for Jesel so I don’t think they have the specific part I need unless their head engineer is unaware they have it now... Do you have a P/N?... I can look it up to see if it's what I'm looking for.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Jesel sells what you need although I don't think it comes with the pick up. It is a round aluminum wheel that bolts in front of the cam with a bridge type bracket that holds the sensor, it holds a single magnet. The MSD sensor you need is a 2348 for working with the BS3, the factory sensor is not supported by the 4x firmware. The sensor has a small green light in the end, you want that light to shut off as you rotate past 65 Degrees BTDC. Set the crank sensor at 55 degrees BTDC on 1 then put "55" in your crank reference angle box on the BS3. After you start the engine adjust the crank reference angle until the timing light and the computer sync up.

Kurt
Originally Posted by LSmonster
I’m a authorized Dealer for Jesel so I don’t think they have the specific part I need unless their head engineer is unaware they have it now... Do you have a P/N?... I can look it up to see if it's what I'm looking for.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 427
Jesel sells what you need although I don't think it comes with the pick up. It is a round aluminum wheel that bolts in front of the cam with a bridge type bracket that holds the sensor, it holds a single magnet. The MSD sensor you need is a 2348 for working with the BS3, the factory sensor is not supported by the 4x firmware. The sensor has a small green light in the end, you want that light to shut off as you rotate past 65 Degrees BTDC. Set the crank sensor at 55 degrees BTDC on 1 then put "55" in your crank reference angle box on the BS3. After you start the engine adjust the crank reference angle until the timing light and the computer sync up.

Kurt
Thanks, Kurt. And here's a pic of what I have so far so we will all be on the same page. The only thing I will add or change is the damper. It will either have a MSD trigger wheel added to the from of the damper or I will swap the damper for a ATI piece that has four magnets built into the outer ring.

Now, according to what you are saying, when I go with the BS3 set-up I don't need a separate sensor on the cam gear for the cam sync? I can do it all with the MSD sensor you listed? I have a prototype bracket (The part in yellow) that I can mount a sensor on and put a metal button on the gear for the sensor to read... But you say I don't need to do that with the BS3 system... Correct?

I'm probably going to do something like that for the Haltech systems I have because it's pretty simple. But on the turbo engine I'm building, I want to get away from the Haltech E11V2 ECU... It is NOT low impendence injector friendly...
Attached Thumbnails Cam trigger with Big Stuff 3-picture-1151.jpg  
Old 12-09-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Junkie

The BS3 does need a cam pulse to sync up, you can buy the wheel from Jesel or make one with a single magnet. The sensor needed for the cam pulse is the 2348. The crank needs a 4x signal wheel with the normal MSD sensor that is two wire. With those added pieces it will sync up.

Kurt
Thanks, Kurt. And here's a pic of what I have so far so we will all be on the same page. The only thing I will add or change is the damper. It will either have a MSD trigger wheel added to the from of the damper or I will swap the damper for a ATI piece that has four magnets built into the outer ring.

Now, according to what you are saying, when I go with the BS3 set-up I don't need a separate sensor on the cam gear for the cam sync? I can do it all with the MSD sensor you listed? I have a prototype bracket (The part in yellow) that I can mount a sensor on and put a metal button on the gear for the sensor to read... But you say I don't need to do that with the BS3 system... Correct?

I'm probably going to do something like that for the Haltech systems I have because it's pretty simple. But on the turbo engine I'm building, I want to get away from the Haltech E11V2 ECU... It is NOT low impendence injector friendly...
Old 01-02-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, Kurt and Phil for the scooby. Just like you guys said, Jesel had what I needed.

When I was talking with Jesel originally, they thought I wanted a completely factory style cam reluctor... I just wanted something that would work with the BS3 and Haltech ECU. They had both. (It was my screw-up for not being more specific when I asked them what I needed... Or what I was looking for)

I've enclosed a pic of the style you need when using the BS3 for anyone else that's looking for the same thing... or doing a search.

Cam trigger with Big Stuff 3-picture-1183.jpg
Old 01-03-2010, 07:05 AM
TECH Junkie

That is nice, I had not seen that style.....

Kurt
Old 01-03-2010, 10:53 AM
7 Second Club

Thanks, Kurt and Phil for the scooby. Just like you guys said, Jesel had what I needed.

When I was talking with Jesel originally, they thought I wanted a completely factory style cam reluctor... I just wanted something that would work with the BS3 and Haltech ECU. They had both. (It was my screw-up for not being more specific when I asked them what I needed... Or what I was looking for)

I've enclosed a pic of the style you need when using the BS3 for anyone else that's looking for the same thing... or doing a search.

Attachment 209001

Thats the same one we're using.

Quick Reply: Cam trigger with Big Stuff 3