LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

I miss the GXP, mostly, the TURBO :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I miss the GXP, mostly, the TURBO :(

I've been reading the forums even though I got rid of the GXP in March and I must say, some stuff really doesn't make sense.

Why spend the $$$ on intake manifold swap, headers, heads, etc. etc. etc. to MAYBE make 300whp when you can make 100% more then stock whp with a turbo?

Headers: $650 for 10whp at the top end, that's $65/whp
Turbo: $5500 for 250whp at the top end, that's $22/whp

I mean, LOOK at that, lol

I'm looking at getting another GP, either V6 or V8 not sure yet but there is 1 thing that is certain, either way I will be building the trans (more from a performance aspect, built trans performs WAY, WAY better then stock in all situations and would probably get better times at the track just with a trans then with headers ) and of course a Cartuning turbo kit. Even with a V6 Supercharged it doesn't make sense to spend the money on the blower, Turbo is the only thing that makes sense.

Ok, /Rant

Flame away! lol

Old 12-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Launching!

What kind of car did you get after the GXP?
Old 12-08-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Regular

Don't laugh.....Mazda RX-8..... :S

I had big plans, was going to do a LS1 swap but in the end, it really doesn't make sense so I'm on the hunt for another GP, just not many out there around here with the options I want
Old 12-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Launching!

No wonder you miss the GXP. jk

I like the way the RX-8's look
Old 12-08-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

how much did you have invested in total cost of turbo, install, and other misc. stuff? i cant remember if you upgraded your trans or not?
Old 12-08-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

The Trans was about $2000 for parts (300m IS, 15/16th chain, clutch packs, other crap) I used the stock converter for some reason.... Free labour.

Turbo I was the prototype kit so didn't cost me much

So yes, I was lucky, either way I would pay and do it all over again.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GXPJAY
The Trans was about $2000 for parts (300m IS, 15/16th chain, clutch packs, other crap) I used the stock converter for some reason.... Free labour.

Turbo I was the prototype kit so didn't cost me much

So yes, I was lucky, either way I would pay and do it all over again.
so trans say $4000 with install since i would prolly have it built up pretty good...$5200 for turbo...install i have not a clue....then a dyno tune say $400...does $10,500 sound like a pretty decent estimate for total cost?
Old 12-08-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The part that doesn't make sense is putting 10,000 into a FWD car....

If you have an extra 10K laying around then use it as a down payment for a Vette, GTO or 5th Gen, or buy a nice 4th Gen/Trans Am out right.

The turbo is cool and all...but the reason people want the cheaper mods is just for that reason....they are cheaper.

Those headers with an CAI, Intake Manifold(LS2,LS6,Ported) will make a bit more than 10 hp as well....Remember a car's engine is a large air pump...if you bring in more air you have to get it back out somehow.

Intake, Headers, Heads and a mild Cam should bring these cars up to around 360-380 at the crank....but then the trans is still waiting to give up...

Take these cars for what they are guys....nice DD's with some V8 pep...they weren't designed to be race cars or performance cars....
Old 12-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bryan921SS
Technically the GXP is a track-tuned performance sedan... Pick one up for 12-16K, drop that 10k into it and you have a 11-12 second sleeper that seats 5 people.

I know of a lot of FWD that would destroy most RWDs, before you say, "Yeah, well they can't corner fast." The track is a straight line.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

how much would someone spend to put on heads, cam, intake, exhaust, intake manifold and headers?

Heads: $1200
Cam: $250
Intake: $250
Exhaust: $500
Headers: $650
Intake Manifold: $500

So $3350, for maybe 300-320whp? Hardly seems worth it when your trans is in need of a change as well, might as well spend the extra 2k and turbo.
Old 12-08-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Track Tuned Performance Sedan huh....

Come on.... these are nice Daily Driver's and that is all they were meant to be.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Banned

Then why give the GXP Bilsteins (for better cornering), cross-drilled larger rotors (keep cool and stop quicker), staggered wheels (cut torque steer and help cornering), manual mode (drawing out gears without a tune), etc. The GXP is different from the other LS4 W-bodies in those ways. The SSes and the Super are more DD material, the GXP is a good mix of track car and DD.

Video about it here http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=111p98l&s=3
Old 12-08-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

You know jp is right, look at my car...i know the intake is crappy but after i do this intake and headers i still think i willl be right around 310hp. I have probally spent well over 10 grand and that includes labor. If i could go back and tell myself everything so far, i would just get the turbo kit.

If i got a turbo now though, i wonder what kind of power i would put down
Old 12-08-2009, 06:17 PM
12 Second Club

Smile

Originally Posted by Bryan921SS
The part that doesn't make sense is putting 10,000 into a FWD car....

If you have an extra 10K laying around then use it as a down payment for a Vette, GTO or 5th Gen, or buy a nice 4th Gen/Trans Am out right.

The turbo is cool and all...but the reason people want the cheaper mods is just for that reason....they are cheaper.

Those headers with an CAI, Intake Manifold(LS2,LS6,Ported) will make a bit more than 10 hp as well....Remember a car's engine is a large air pump...if you bring in more air you have to get it back out somehow.

Intake, Headers, Heads and a mild Cam should bring these cars up to around 360-380 at the crank....but then the trans is still waiting to give up...

Take these cars for what they are guys....nice DD's with some V8 pep...they weren't designed to be race cars or performance cars....
Ok...jumping in on this one...you are exactly right Bryan about putting that 10k laying around into one of those cars that EVERYBODY ELSE HAS.....it would yield much more...thats for sure...

somebody has to do this stuff...thats what seperates the leaders and the followers in this industry...its true passion for the better of the cause I think...and to want to better the platform...its for the guy or gal that wants to push the envelope on the platform they have...its because they love the car they have...it really comes down to HOPING SHE HOLDS CAUSE IT's GONNA BE BAD A@#!!!...its a pride thing man!!

and by god..if we want to drop 10k in a dam FWD-wrong wheel drive under dog..then we must be a bunch of passionate, dedicated, committed, envelope pushing son of a bit$#'s....

and as far as an air pump...your right in a way about that....i would say more of a compressor, but im not here to shoot you down...but I get ya, we do too...but i would urge you to take a look at the whole picture when speaking of a transversely mounted motor or FWD...and how the manifolds are set up...you said a cam and headers and heads...that fine..but no one has really got to that point just yet for these cars when applying the good ol ways of LSx boys to our FWD's...and take a look at physics....you said it yourself...put more air in...get it out...well, thats what a turbo does...push's that air right in there; AT A MUCH HIGHER RATE THAN NA TECHNIQUES OF JUST OPENING HER MOUTH WIDER!! She only goes so far...that's why we do it...we made the decision that her mouth just doesnt go wide enough for the money we throw at her....yeah, im refrencing something youll find on the side of the road LOL..you know what i mean...she just doesnt do it...but some guys and gals want to keep getting more out of her...it might be crazy....but why are we here to begin with...ya know...

its no different than all these TA, GTO, Camaro and all other LSx guys switching from NA to Turbo or N2O....only difference would be that it is going to cost us more right now because our cars are the underdog...and it takes time and money(more than something thats already R&R'd..) and i would love to know your plan on that 360-380WHP for that cam and headers and head job your talkn....WE WOULD ALL LIKE TO KNOW...so PLEASE...TELL US...oh wait..thats an opinion, which your entitled, but you really should do some more research on the topic of a matter you wish to debate or throw around...guess what, WE'RE WORKING ON IT!!! so take that somewhere else....its not that easy...take me or anyother of these guys and gals that have worked on anything R&R on these girls...ITS A PAIN IN THE A@#!!!...what you say compared to whats practical compared to alot of us that have spent hours at the dyno and that big 10k we had laying around to find out where this car can go and where its at....so get some more clout under you before you spout off with that!!!

And just some info for your delight, that I really think you need to educate yourself on what LS4 platform your comenting on...ie the Pontiac Grand Prix GXP which was designed and built for DD but with nothing but track testing and race minded individuals that wanted the room but didnt want to loose performance. This car was tested and sold as a track car!!! Your Monte is nice and all...but dont get it confused with the car you say is just a DD with some V8 pep and that its not a performance car...WAKE UP AND READ YOUR CARS MOTOR HERITAGE....and do realize that GM give your car motor envy and felt sorry for your basic W body platform with no brakes, shocks, ride height adjustment, oil pan baffels to keep oil in check during HIGH G CORNERING...which by the way is found on the track...and not to mention, STANDARD ACTIVE STABILITY MANAGEMENT...IT'S A HEAT/TRACK CAR!!! so thank GM for the gift in YOUR, how did you say it..., "DD with some V8 PEP"....so eat your own words and be careful bringing your Monte spoon to a gun fight!!...

Of course, this could just be a GXP thing......you wouldnt understand...
who know's LOL...much love Bryan...im razzn ya man....im just parcial to my girl...read up man...
Have a nice day...

Last edited by Rossko85; 12-08-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

rossko, are you an author?
Old 12-08-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

how much do you guys think it would cost to have a turbo installed on our cars?
Old 12-08-2009, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I love this forum...I say a few things from a different view point and I got the we want to be different speech??

You are all correct I will never understand the Grand Prix guys...

I was trying to explain a different point of view which is what the OP asked for....

Some guys like N/A power, prefer the sound of an N/A engine etc...just making an argument for the reason why people would want to stick N/A.

I feel that this is just not the best platform to be spending loads of money on...that is my own opinion.

<-- is fun FWD or RWD

Also Rossko you do know your Grand Prix is a W-Body right??
Old 12-08-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

Bryan your right, these cars suck for mods, had i put the same parts in ANY other ls engine i would be well above 400whp and have a low 12 or high 11 car. But Rossko is also right, its pretty badass to have a gp gxp that can run into the 12's(if i can get it there) Its like a super sleeper car. not to mention, after modding this car, every other car is easy
Old 12-08-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mongoose that's true...and all I was trying to say....I just read the other post about our cam...I wonder if the ported LS6 specific heads are hurting ya...look up Aaron Provost he has some ported heads from Patriot on his car.

Edit: Nevermind you have the same heads he put on his Monty.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:47 PM
12 Second Club

LOL...no im not an author, im a cop..

and Bryan...no hard feelings brother...but actually...we as GXP's are actually considered W(c) Body's LOL...just some tid bit...we're special in every way!!

I love ya'll LOL

Quick Reply: I miss the GXP, mostly, the TURBO :(