Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP True Duals...cats or no?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSP True Duals...cats or no?

Is anybody running TSP True duals with dynomax bullets and no cats? I'm doing a basic stock rebuild with a couple bolt ons. This is my DD and I wana know if it's gona be too loud. I don't wana get hassled by the cops.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:58 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since they are designed to slip right onto the collector of the longtube headers, more often than not they are run without cats. www.ls1sounds.com has a good collection of sound clips to try and get an idea of what you'll have. It is a very aggressive sounding system, with minimal restriction, and PLENTY of volume. If you're concerned about the noise up front, I'd suggest going with a Y-pipe and a standard catback to avoid frustration and law trouble!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 12-08-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

This issue really depends on the cops in your particular area. The cops around here are cool as **** as long as you dont speed or act stupid. They never hassle me and my TDs are loud as hell. Other places it is different. I would suggest asking some locals who have loud exhausts. Imports dont count bc cops will sometimes hassle them and not hassle domestics.....
Old 12-08-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

my true duals with magnaflow metal core cats run all the way under the axle and out the back were louder than my ory/lm1 and ory/gmmg setup.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:46 PM

ive running tsp tru duals with dynomax bullets and NO CATS.

it definitely matters where you live. I drive primarily in central jersey and Long Island and I dont have many problems. I have friends in massachusetts and they are super strict there. It really depends how you drive. If you drive like an ***, then yea you are gonna get pulled over. I was pulling out of a supermarket and took the turn pretty aggressively and was close to sliding my *** out... yea I got pulled over. Im sure if I had a quieter exhaust nothing would have happened.

if you drive normally and keep your wild driving to "cop-free zones" you should be fine. in my area, cops are more focused on idiots putting fart cans on their neon green imports...

bottom line is, its on a trans am, so your going to wanna enjoy it a bit and you might get caught once in a while but in my mind its well worth it. keep the CATS OFF and DONT LOOK BACK!! its an ls1 for pete's sake..not a b16 4 banger.... let her breathe!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
This issue really depends on the cops in your particular area. The cops around here are cool as **** as long as you dont speed or act stupid. They never hassle me and my TDs are loud as hell. Other places it is different. I would suggest asking some locals who have loud exhausts. Imports dont count bc cops will sometimes hassle them and not hassle domestics.....
agreed!!
Old 12-08-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would not run cats if i were you but i have heard there is one muffler that tsp carries on there duals that is a little quieter than the other two, but i dont know which one it is...sorry
Old 12-09-2009, 01:52 AM
On The Tree

Alrights thanks alot for your opinions...I'll see how it goes running without them. It is a TA after all....
Old 12-09-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're worried about the sound between cats or not with true duals on a DD with simple mods, you probably shouldn't be getting true duals. Just get a cat back and electric cutout.