Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Konis and drag racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 06:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Konis and drag racing

Im up in the air about springs and shocks for my Firehawk. I dont have a race car just a weekend car and show car. I would like to get my car to hook up better when and if I go to the track. So I thought Id do some QA1s but Im afraid Ill hate the ride quality, a plus..I can set any ride height really... Konis and Stranos are great from what Iv heard about how good they are for riding and driving but at the drag strip will this hurt me over stock shocks? Really can it be any worse? Iv heard ina few cases guys have got rid of the QA1s and went with the Konis?Stranos because they hated the way it was. And acutally help 60fts. Tthe car wont hook, It doest try to transfer weight, Iv done full UMI rear adjustable suspension, its a 6 speed on 17 in MT Drs. Tires is most of it Im sure. I think with a slick on a 15 in wheel it should try to transfer weight a lot better and not spin first and second and some of third..I mean a lot of guys wanting to lower a car on here would buy that set up if I didnt like it I guess..idk any thoughts????
Old 12-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd try the Suspension section if you have not already. Personally QA1's are not bad but I think your looking for a touring style shock that can be adjusted, given the situation. My Rear QA1's set at 5 have a lil bounce in them, I do not mind it at all, but you know its there.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:27 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would look at the new AFCO SA for 199.00 a shock. They may be the best compromise.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:17 AM
10 Second Club

Do you sell the AFCOs? If so could you give me a quote for all 4, single adjustables and springs for a street/strip car!
Old 12-09-2009, 12:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We do sell AFCO. All 4 shocks and front springs with your choice of spring rate are 895.00 plus shipping.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:00 PM
10 Second Club

No **** damn, that sounds pretty good. Now Iv gotta get some crap sold!! lol..How is the ride quality of these? What springs do I use in the rear?
Old 12-09-2009, 01:59 PM
10 Second Club

I daily drive my car and run the QA1 f series on the front. I just switched to the 300lbs QA1 spring on them, but I kept my Hotchkis front as I may switch back to them for street driving. First I'm gonna try putting the front swaybar on before I make that decision. I run the KYB 8 way adjustables with the Hotchkis spring in the rear for now.

I like using the Hotchkis springs because the spring rate is the closest to stock that you will find over any aftermarket one. The stance is perfect (not scraping low, but way lower than stock) and the ride- better than stock. I have gone 1.51 60ft on a 26" ET Street with them and should be in the 1.4s in the next 2 weeks due to some other changes.

If I were you I would definitely go with an adjustable shock. The AFCOs are a really good shock, so are the QA1's and Konis, even the KYB AGXs as a budget option. From what it sounds like anyone of those will work for what you want to do. As far as a spring, that depends on how low you want the car. I like the Hotchkis cause they are a nice "in between" (Not mushy, yet not stiff either) spring for the track and street. Well, at least I have had good luck with them.

Last edited by Sofls1; 12-09-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Stay stock springs in the rear. The fronts will be determied by the weight of the car for starters. The ride quality is good. You can set front ride height on these as they are coil overs.