Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil build up in intercooler.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil build up in intercooler.

Just got ot thinking..is it possible for oil to build up in the intercooler and actually start filling it up? Wouldnt the air velocity make it impossible for this to happen?
Reason i am asking is that my turbo has been having some oil in the charge pipes for a few months and drive it almost everyday.During the summer , if i drove my car easy and out of boost then it would start smoking after driving for a while and would have to basically blow it out and floor it for a moment and wouldnt start smoking for a lil while.
I am just curious if i need to drill and tap a drain or petcock on the bottom of one of my endtanks on the intercooler to drain it. My inlet and outlet is on the top on each side so there would be plenty of area down low to accumulate oil..if it is even possible.
Opinions?
Old 12-09-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

i had one of the old D1B Prochargers, the oil feed ones, and it dev a leak, i had to pull the i/c and clean it out, the outlet pipe was higher, wasnt real full, but some did run out when i tilted it up-i shot a couple cans of brake clean thru it, let it run out
Old 12-09-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah thats one of my problems is i got the biggest intercooler i could fit in between my grill and radiator and pretty much have to disassemble the front end to get it to even tilt. I guess i could always remove a coupler and probe something in it to see if it gets soaked with oil..like a intercooler dipstick lol
Old 12-09-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Brake cleaner is some nasty **** and can turn wicked toxic if exposed to heat, like a few drops on a hot header. Use Simple Green and hot water instead, just dump a quart of solution in there and shake it up, then rinse and repeat.

If you have to install an oil drain on your IC, something else is wrong and needs fixing. Nothing should be dumping that much oil into it.

Jim
Old 12-10-2009, 06:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Delta T has the answer..
Draining the oil, and not washing it out, is a waste of time. Once the IC tubes are coated, the heat rejection goes way down. Oil blown into the engine, will "***** up" the tune, and generally cause alot of problems, in addition to smoking.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil build up in intercooler.