Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Cam selection for C4

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam selection for C4

I'm going to be building either a 383 or 355,,,depending on my budget in the next couple of months. I'm sticking with the crossfire set up,,sort of,,its being replaced by an X-ram and 2" bored throttle bodys and 90lb injectors. The heads are probably going to be Patriot Performance. I'm definately going to go with hydraulic roller cam/lifters. I want a cam that can help me achieve 400HP at the flywheel and still have decent vacuum at idle and not be to choppy and with some luck my stock ecm can handle it. I love a mean cam in an old school muscle car,,but in the Vette I'd rather it was more civilized. I plan to keep compression around 10.5:1. I'm a little confused on which affects idle most LSA or duration. Any thoughts or suggestions for cam choice? Also I want a cam that is rated for about 1800-6000RPM. I'm running a 4+3 standard and 3.07 gears in the rear, neither will be changed. Car is for the street only. Cheers.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something like Comp's XFI cams maybo this model.. 260XFI HR13 It's 210/218 duration. .560" lift with 1.6 ratio rocker arms.. With 1.5 ratio(stock ratio) rocker arms it would be more like .525" lift. Might be easier on the springs supplied on the patriot heads.

"Hydraulic Roller-Superb low end and mid-range for 350 tuned port injections. 305 TPI requires chip upgrade"

That would be very tame in a 383 and get the job done.

Goodluck!

Quick Reply: Cam selection for C4