LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

HID ballast mounting?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID ballast mounting?

i was looking at buying a set of HIDs for the impala and i was wondering where everyone here mounted their ballasts? and if anyone has any feedback on http://www.hidextra.com/HID+Conversi.../H11-6000K.htm. thanks
Old 12-09-2009, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I mounted my ballasts for my headlamps on the front support beam that runs from headlamp to headlamp.

My fogs are mounted on the inside of the bumper cover.

No pics though.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine really weren't even mounted. At first I had them mounted to factory grounds but it was screwing up the ground, so I just left the drivers side right behind the headlight and the passenger side kind of in the area behind the fender behind the headight, kinda hard to explain. With the headlights in place they didn't move at all. CenTexSS probably has a little better method haha.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

thanks alot its pretty confusing looking at at these and having no clue where to start
Old 12-09-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's not so bad once you have it in front of you and lay it out and see what you're doing. Pretty straight forward install. If that kit doesn't come with a relay harness, I'd personally recommend getting one. Some will come in and argue til their blue in the face that you don't need one, but for 10-15 bucks it's cheap insurance to not fry your stock wiring.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

yeah ive seen the arguments, id rather spend 15 bucks and be safe than have something short out
Old 12-09-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 20SS07
Mine really weren't even mounted. At first I had them mounted to factory grounds but it was screwing up the ground, so I just left the drivers side right behind the headlight and the passenger side kind of in the area behind the fender behind the headight, kinda hard to explain. With the headlights in place they didn't move at all. CenTexSS probably has a little better method haha.
that how i did mine right behind the driver side and passenger side headlight for both the low beam and fog light.ill post pics tomarrow when it sunny outside,if it doesnt rain...
Old 12-09-2009, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

I used self tapping screws and screwed them into the support beam like stated above. I also tried to mount in on the grounds, but my trip computer kept saying that my trunk was open whenever I turned on the left blinker. All it took was once driving home from work and that annoyed me enough to change the set-up.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SSL33PER
that how i did mine right behind the driver side and passenger side headlight for both the low beam and fog light.ill post pics tomarrow when it sunny outside,if it doesnt rain...
thanks alot that will help a ton

Originally Posted by Jay z28
I used self tapping screws and screwed them into the support beam like stated above. I also tried to mount in on the grounds, but my trip computer kept saying that my trunk was open whenever I turned on the left blinker. All it took was once driving home from work and that annoyed me enough to change the set-up.
hahahaha i gotta say thats alittle hilarious
Old 12-09-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Here's a brief writeup I did for my first HID kit install. Most of it still applies.

http://www.naioa.com/v2/modules.php?...wtopic&t=19821
Old 12-09-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jay z28
I'm glad I finally found someone who had the ground mounting issue. Mine was even worse. Every time I turned on my fog lights or high beams, it would say my hood was open, not to mention the lights wouldn't actually turn on properly. One high beam would come on at reduced power and one fog light would be dim. It was weird. Took me awhile to track down that the HID's were causing the problem.

Quick Reply: HID ballast mounting?