Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch pedal issue..

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default clutch pedal issue..

Everytime I row through the gears in my car my clutch pedal gets soft after the first fast shift... Altho regains normal required pressure shortly after. Only thing I can think of is its a master cylinder issue not getting enough fluid moving... Am I correct?
Old 12-15-2009, 05:12 AM
TECH Resident

ttt...?
Old 12-15-2009, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This is a problem with pretty much every stock M6 LS1.

Here is the info from the sticky explaining the problem:

To sum it up, basically GM didn’t think things through all the way when selecting the hydraulic lines for your T56. The steel braided line that plugs into the master cylinder has a tiny, tiny hole in it, which causes unnecessary restriction. During a quick, high-rpm shift, fluid cannot get where it needs to go fast enough, so basically it will feel like you are shifting without a clutch. It may be difficult or impossible to shift into 2nd or 3rd, and you may have some problems with the pedal itself.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:23 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

N20, I think that what Juicy was refering to was the known issue of a restrictive line that feeds the slave cylinder. This can lead to issues like you describe. You can find lots of info by searching "drill mod" or by referencing the sticky at the top of the page. You can also google search "LS1 drill mod" and find a number of instructionals for performing this modification. The most commonly used is probably the one listed on the "Install University" site. Take a look at the info and give the mod a shot. If it doesn't work for you let us know and I will be happy to provide more info. Thanks!
Old 12-16-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

Funny thing is I looked in that sticky but didnt click that one, I reviewed all the others. Ill start small and go with fluid flush first when I find time... It only goes soft not sticking so I guess I dont have it so bad
Old 12-18-2009, 10:08 AM
FormerVendor

Give it a shot and let us know what you find. As always I am happy to assist if you have any questioins. Thanks,
Old 12-21-2009, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

I also talked to the GM dealer as they are diagnosing a oil leak I have had since I bought the car thats getting progressivly worse or its just im more aware of it. They put dye in my engine and found that the thick black oil is not from the engine so were thinking its the front seal on the trans and it was severly overfilled. They informed me the clutch problem is mostly casued by the brake fluid breaking down or a small amount of moisture in the system. Left in long term it can eat up the slave. now since I have to pull the trans for inspecting of the seals heres my question, is there a permanent fix to this buy going to a different master and slave all together?
Old 12-21-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Regular

tick and mcleod both make a better master cylinder for our cars. A lot of the guys here seem to be running the tick master with no problems, and I'll be upgrading to one in a month or so. If you need a clutch, tick has a good package deal going too for the master, a speed bleeder, and a monster clutch. (while its all apart lol)
Old 12-21-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

The clutch was just done 4k ago in october... But I will look into Tick