Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Beware: Moog Strut mounts

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware: Moog Strut mounts

Well...I'm sure that I had read the warnings from others regarding Moog upper strut mounts, but it didn't sink in...until now.

I spent today replacing my upper and lower balljoints, upper and lower control arm bushings, and shocks/springs. While installing the pass front shock/spring (of course this was the last major piece during re-assembly) I ran into the problem of the strut mount not aligning with the bolt holes. I took some time with a straight punch and was able to get the bolts started, but then came the new issue. THE CAPTIVE NUT IN THE STRUT MOUNT BROKE LOOSE!!! The last bolt was halfway in when the nut started spinning, we tried to continue, but nothing would hold the round nut. I was finally able get the bolt back out, and now I have to order a new mount.

Does anybody see a reason why I can't run 2 different brands of mounts? (I really don't want to tear the driver's side apart again if I don't have to)

Any recommendations on what brand to order that will line up properly the first time?
Old 12-09-2009, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

Its Ok to have two different mounts on a daily driver. I would not do it on a car set up for competion. Get the OE mount from GM. They are the only mounts that truely fit, and few people if any, have complained about.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply. I called the local dealership. They quoted $200 for the mount, and none in the nearest wharehouse. I checked the gmpartsdirect website and they were about 30% cheaper, but again, waiting for shipping. The car is on a hoist right now on base, so I am paying to rent the space. I can either temp install the current one, put it all together and wait for the part, or try another aftermarket one and possibly modify the mount holes.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-10-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

I just ground out the one hole a little bit to make mine work. I know most people won't do that but it has given me no problems and I'm going on 15,000+ miles since doing that.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by xXSilencerXx
I just ground out the one hole a little bit to make mine work. I know most people won't do that but it has given me no problems and I'm going on 15,000+ miles since doing that.
This is what I ended up doing. I tried MOOG, TRW, and Monroe mounts, and all had the same problem. A minute with a die grinder on one hole made it fit just fine.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

same problem here.

i used a bolt feed up from the inside of the wheel well and a nut on top.

tony
Old 12-13-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

odd problem. I work at an auto parts store part time, ill pull some off the shelf and measure, make sure you didnt just get a fluke. sounds like you didnt though. What a pain in the ***
Old 12-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Launching!

I've never had a problem with the hole not lineing up, but I have had 2 sets that the nut spun. on my last pair i just welded a strip of metal between the 2 nuts. no problem so far.

Quick Reply: Beware: Moog Strut mounts