Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Spec 3+ Clutch Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec 3+ Clutch Issues

Hey guys, I'm new to the boards and have a question about some issues I have been having with my clutch. I recently just picked up a 2001 Camaro SS from a buddy of mine who is also a member on the boards here. He installed a Spec 3+ Clutch and McLeod master cylinder in the car a few years ago and the parts have less than 3,000 miles on them. The issue I am having is when I hold the clutch down for extended periods of time, typically about 30 seconds or more, the clutch seems to start engaging without letting the clutch petal off the floor. The longer you hold the clutch down the worse it gets as well. If I try holding the clutch down while at a stop light then try to take off the clutch will be fully engaged as soon as I begin to let off the clutch petal making it almost impossible to take off smoothly. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this? If you need any other information on this let me know. Thanks in advance guys
Old 12-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Teching In

sounds like fluid is bleeding past internal seals in one of your cylinders. I had this happen on my old truck. I don't personally know of any way to tell which cylinder you're getting fluid bypass on without replacing one or the other. But that's what it sounds like to me.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Launching!

I agree w/above it's a hydralic issue & either master or slave cylinder!, prob. gonna be the master & it's the easier one to change anyway!
Old 12-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the fast replies guys I will try replacing the master cylinder and see if that fixes the issue. The car is in storage now until Spring but I would like to resolve this issue while it's put away before getting it out next spring again.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Prob the master cyl. I just replaced mine AGAIN. Sometimes if you get down and push the pedal in with your hand and listen close, you can hear the fluid leaking past the seal. I've rebuilt my old McCleod master twice and both times the seal had a divet in it so I went back to a stock one. Hope this helps.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Teching In

I'm going to head out to storage this weekend and work on the car a bit I will try what you said Knight about pushing the clutch petal down by hand and listening closely for fluids leaking. Do you think a factory replacement master cylinder is better than the McLeod Master cylinder? Also is the factory unit able to hold the spec stage 3+ clutch fine do you know? Thanks again for the replies
Old 12-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that the stocker is much better. The McCleod is a quality piece being metal and all, but I've had nothing but issues with it and have read about others dealing with it too. Coming from first hand exp. it'll hold the Spec 3+ no problems and will give you much less trouble than the McCleod. I'm not trying to bash a sponser, just calling it like I see it.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Teching In

I think I'm going to put a new stock hydraulic back in it here if you've had good luck with it. I called my buddy last night who I bought the car from and he has a friend running a spec 3+ clutch with stock hydraulic also not having any issues at all. Thanks man
Old 12-12-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spend the extra bit and get a Tick....problem solved. Best master out there. Period.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:15 PM
FormerVendor

Our kits are engineered to work with properly functioning stock hydraulic components. In fact I can offer a stock master to you for $99 or I can provide an adjustable OE master for $175. Give me a call if your are interested and if you have already bought an OE master let us know if it helped. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

I guess your not alone to have this problem