Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermitent starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:52 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Intermitent starting issue

I am having an issue with Starting my car some times. I know it isn't the battery or anything like that. The battery is brand new and all the accessories work.
What I think is happening is the computer is failing to recognize that the clutch is pushed in and there for doesn't try to crank. but after a few tries of pumping the clutch in and out it will finally recognize. what is the issue? and what can I do to get it fixed?

thanks,

Russ
Old 12-10-2009, 10:23 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the neutral safety switch that's mounted right under by the firewall under the clutch pedal!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 12-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Launching!

does it mean it is just lose and needs snapped back in or it needs replaced?
Old 12-10-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Regular

Try removing it and bypassing it with a paper clip. If it starts without pushing the clutch in then there's the problem!
Old 12-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Launching!

I haven't tried removing it and bypassing it with a paper clip yet. How do i actually do it? Undend paper clip and complete the circuit buy putitng an end in each side of the connector harness that clips into the Clutch safety switch?

OK... I am having the same issue. I have the new Clutch safety switch in place and the car still doesn't want to start. I am thinking it is a different issue. I am about 99.9% sure it isn't my Clutch Safety switch. I have the new one in place and it doesn't want to start. what i have been doing now is turning the key all the way to the start position and then slowly pushing clutch in and also trying the conventional way. All I get is a single click. which is what i think is the Clutch safety relaying that it is working, I am thinking maybe it is the starter or something like that.
Keep in mind I just had everything swapped over to this car from my other car. Wiring and all. have any ideas on what it could be? I just want to get it running so it will start up the first time every time. the car runs great if I can get it started.

The Battery is brand new. the car won't even crank. something is wrong with getting the car to understand that the clutch is pushed in or the starter could be bad.

Please help!
Old 12-29-2009, 10:14 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the security light on and/or blinking on your gauge cluster by chance?

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 12-29-2009, 10:17 AM
Launching!

No the Security light stays on for the normal time period and then goes off.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It does sould like the clutch switch but if it cranks then try this:

You can try swapping one of the fans relays with the ignition relay. The ignition relays are known to go bad, mine did. When my relay was acting up the motor would crank and crank but not turn over; I would have to try it several times, then it would finally start. Eventually it got to the point where it wouldn't start at all so I replaced it after we originally thought it was the PCM.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

My 02ws6 does the exact samething and it is an auto. I think it has something to do with the VATS but I am just willing to live with it. I know other people think to themselves that my car is crap because of it but I don't care what others think or say.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the ignition relay. My buddy had a similar problem on his 98 z, struggled with it for months, and then fixed it in 2 minutes with a $10 relay...
Old 12-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Launching!

I tried starting my car for about 5 min yesterday and it didn't and tried again when i went home from the office for lunch. It won't even crank and wont make the clicking sound that it makes when the battery is dead. something is failing to tell the starter to start the car. could this be the ignition relay? Where is it located and how do I change it? i guess this is just going to be a process of elimination.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double check your battery cables and make sure they're on tight.. You said in a previous post that you heard a click, correct?? If so, you might try tapping the starter very lightly with a hammer and then try to start.. Check your connections at the starter as well.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Thanks,

I will try all of the above and report back. I just called into NAPA Warehouse to get the relay switch up front so when i come pick it up I am not waiting for ever
Old 12-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Launching!

Yes I hear a single click and it coincides with me pushing the clutch in and I am pretty sure it is the clutch safety switch working. but I guess it could be the starter not working
Old 12-30-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

As said, try to jump the starter. I would say if this problem isn't something electrical, that would probably be the culprit. And the ignition relay is a possibility - it's under the hood on the driver side (everything is marked) in a black box. Although I thought it would turn over if that was bad. Also, my PCM went bad a few months ago. It started as an intermittent problem and persisted until it would not start, but cranked. Keep the PCM in the back of your mind.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Turned out to be the Starter. Put a new one on and all is well. Thanks for all the help
Old 01-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

always make sure your ground is clean,where ever it is grounded to, i know sounds dumb, but it resently got me on a truck i was working on just my .02