Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 Swap in 89 Fox

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 Swap in 89 Fox

Ive been trying to read through some threads on here about the swap but still have a few questions:

If I buy an a complete engine w/ wiring harness and cpu would I be able to use that in the swap or am I limited to running a carb conversion setup?

I see some of you guys are in process of doing the same thing or have already done it so I have a few other questions that maybe you can help me with or @ least point me in the right direction.

I plan on using the truck motor and just have the stock heads ported and maybe a custom cam since i have seen really good results w/ cam only swaps and ported heads and just some other small bolt ons and maybe throw a nitrous kit on there and spray 150 to it. I know I will need the custom k member and custom headers for the swap as well as a trans mount for the transmission and a custom driveshaft. The trans I was going to use would either be the T350 or T400 since they seem they would be the simpliest for the install and good performance. I will not be driving the car alot and will mostly see car shows/cruises and mostly the race track. Im going to start on the project after the 1st of the year so maybe you guys can help me along. Any help/ideas/changes/info will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:30 AM
On The Tree

location? im in the middle of my lm7 92 coupe swap
Old 12-11-2009, 04:52 AM

I'm in the same Boat. Swapping out my 306 SBF for a 5.3 . I have a K member already so I'm looking to either do a motor plate , or sell my K member for the AJE. As far as efi vs carb. Carb can be tuned easily. But HP tuners seems to be great . I think I'm going to stay efi though , and cam port job ,and decent stall.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:01 AM
Teching In

Anyone else want to chime in on carb vs efi? pros vs cons? cost to horsepower? Also if anyone has used the EFI how difficult is the wiring install to make everything work and be tuned. I just dont want to buy parts and trade them out later. Thanks
Old 12-12-2009, 02:06 AM
On The Tree

use the search. keep it efi. Modify the stock harness.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sticking with the EFI, and I'm having great success with the stock k-member, though I'll go aftermarket for weight reasons, once the car is daily-driving with the stock k. BTW, my '89 Mustang was built with a 2.3 and auto, so that's the k I'm using so far.
If you use a long-tail TH350, the 9"-long version, then you should be able to have the rear yoke from your stock driveshaft fitted to the driveshaft from most any '84-'92 Camaro.

Last edited by Isolde; 12-18-2009 at 05:18 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: 5.3 Swap in 89 Fox