View Full Version : Another Diff bites the dust...

maxspeed96ct
12-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Yup its true as the title says.

I cant say im suprised , plus ive been driving the thing like I stole it since I put the spec 3+ in and the exhaust.

Did a hard 1st to 2nd shift and bamm right away .
(no wheel hop it was instant as I hit second gear)

I didnt get into ripping it apart yet, but it looks like it snapped right off were the drivesaft connects ..

Got a used diff on the way now but Im pretty of bummed..

Now my next question, the BMR pinion brace. It looks to me like its a great idea and seems like it would help protect the differential from snapping off like mine did..

Why does the BMR pinion brace have such bad reviews ?

I have a used diff on it way, I think Im going to buy a BMR pinion brace .

... plus I might try to weld up some kind of cage around the diff from the pinion brace or the other points of the diff (but its just a idea for now)

jweymar
12-10-2009, 10:49 PM
I have been worried about my spec3 clutch grabbing hard and snapping the diff.

sucks bro sorry

SoJersey05V
12-10-2009, 10:59 PM
thats why i havent upgraded my clutch... i was going to do monster stage 3, now they said the weak points will def break.. i.e. DIFF! lol so figure this... i scored an excellent deal on a factory replacement... mine has 69k miles on it, exhaust only and i beat the shit out of it... clutch still grabs good but somthing is fcked in there from driving on bad MM's for so long... 2 friends of mine are close in miles, and have maggies on their V's on stock clutches still!...

i intend on putting this monster FW in when i do my clutch, but a UUC lightweight would be nice! wish we could get them made again!

JJSimon904
12-11-2009, 12:05 AM
How did the used diff cost ya?

maxspeed96ct
12-11-2009, 06:28 AM
How did the used diff cost ya?

found one for 600 shipped

SkullV
12-11-2009, 08:24 AM
Is it the newest version of the diff? It seems like that even for $600 it isnt worth putting another bad diff in, I'd rather spring for the price of a 3rd gen diff from Luke.

onebadcad
12-11-2009, 09:37 AM
The V1 diffs are weaker than circus lemonade:bang:!!!
WTF is a Gen III diff, as I thought Gen I was '04 and '05, Gen II was '06 and '07, so I doubt you mean Gen III is V2 diff, as does fit under our cars.
Please enlighten my V brother,,,

ScreaminRedZ
12-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Damn, that sucks, dude. At least your already on your way to getting it back on the road. Is there a way to make them more bullet proof? I was looking up some stuff for my dad's 04 GTO, because he's always worried about blowing the rear and it's all really expensive.

JJSimon904
12-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Please enlighten my V brother,,,

...me too

SkullV
12-11-2009, 03:18 PM
There was one design for the '04-'05 diff, then another for the '06-'07 diff. Finally the diff was redesigned again in early 2008. According to Bill (tech at Lindsay Cadillac) they have yet to see a failure of the 3rd gen diff. All of this info is over at cadillacforums. May not be the most technical forum, but if it's V specific it's over there.

maxspeed96ct
12-11-2009, 06:04 PM
There was one design for the '04-'05 diff, then another for the '06-'07 diff. Finally the diff was redesigned again in early 2008. According to Bill (tech at Lindsay Cadillac) they have yet to see a failure of the 3rd gen diff. All of this info is over at cadillacforums. May not be the most technical forum, but if it's V specific it's over there.

This is the first I hear of a 3rd gen diff.

I know the 04,05,06,07 diff have a weak ass aluminum tin can case.
Either one you buy its weak...

Unless the v3 diff comes from the new V2 cts-v it just as junk as the 04-07 Rear end.
Plus Im pretty sure the diff and axles in the V2 CTS-V are alot diffrent and they are not a dirrect swap out in the V1 CTS-v

punishmentcycle
12-11-2009, 06:11 PM
i think skullv was talking about the v1 diff getting revamped again..maybe thickening the case a little more or something...they shoulda just went cast iron and called it a day but my guess woud be they went with thicker cast aluminum case..

-T-
12-11-2009, 06:11 PM
So... i take it your V isn't for sale for a little while longer. Once you get that new rear in, your gonna wanna break it in sideways style...

tityrous
12-11-2009, 06:13 PM
well this sucks man good luck on getting it back on the road! i try to take it easy on mine but if it goes it goes...

SoJersey05V
12-11-2009, 06:22 PM
pretty sure ive never heard of a 3rd gen diff! but if you have the proof please link us to it!

maxspeed96ct
12-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Yup ive realy just gotta take it easy, Ive been pushing my limits latley , doing drifts rippin through first and second gear, making the rear get squirly as I hit 3rd and etc..

Sean01
12-12-2009, 01:32 AM
I feel your pain, lol. I just went through this a couple of weeks ago. When mine let go the diff became 2 pieces. And your driveshaft is probably beat to hell too. When it happed the rear dust boot was torn and the rear coupler was all bent to hell, and neither peice can be replaced. You have to get a whole new driveshaft, total crap. Your looking at $800 for a new one, list on the thing is over $1300!! Its true that they have a 3rd gen version of the diff. Its what I just got from lyndsay cadillac, $1638 later. Hopefully its stronger than my 05 was.

maxspeed96ct
12-12-2009, 07:57 AM
I feel your pain, lol. I just went through this a couple of weeks ago. When mine let go the diff became 2 pieces. And your driveshaft is probably beat to hell too. When it happed the rear dust boot was torn and the rear coupler was all bent to hell, and neither peice can be replaced. You have to get a whole new driveshaft, total crap. Your looking at $800 for a new one, list on the thing is over $1300!! Its true that they have a 3rd gen version of the diff. Its what I just got from lyndsay cadillac, $1638 later. Hopefully its stronger than my 05 was.

Yikes I havent even looked at my drivesaft yet. Its barley hangling there by a thread of aluminum...

Do you think your new diff is stronger or are you just not driving the car as hard anymore?

lilgcts-v
12-12-2009, 11:17 AM
well i dont want to sound to crazy by saying my rear is bullet proof but i have a 2006 V and i drive it HARD like launching banging gears drifting you name it. and all ive ever replaced on the car was the rear diff bushing, but i do keep in mind that its only a matter of time :/.

JJSimon904
12-12-2009, 11:25 AM
I've made 9 passes at the track on my car this summer and have been itching now that track nights are 40 degrees instead of 90 degrees. I just dont want to push my luck...I might pick up a spare diff then hit the track again so if I go on a Friday I can be back on the road by Monday.

I didn't know the V2 rear (3rd gen diff) bolted up to our rear. I know they got rid of the wheelhop issue with the V2, but what did they specifically do to the diff this time?

maxspeed96ct
12-12-2009, 12:05 PM
well i dont want to sound to crazy by saying my rear is bullet proof but i have a 2006 V and i drive it HARD like launching banging gears drifting you name it. and all ive ever replaced on the car was the rear diff bushing, but i do keep in mind that its only a matter of time :/.

I drive the same way man, its only a metter of time.

Plus my cam, headers and spec stage 3 must put more stress on the diff as well ....

I plan on fabbing up a cage and just try to distribute the stress from the pinion around the diff...
It will bolt around the diff it self not to the cradle like the BMR pinion brace.

I dont plan on making it bulletproof but I think its the best thing I can do that wont cost me a arm and a leg .

http://storesense.megawebservers.com/stores/HS198/catalog/DTE-Strut-Brace.jpg
The one pictured is for the vette and bolts the trans and diff together, mine will just bolt to diffrent areas of the diff with some steel ..

(Mine wont be as fancy either)

Sean01
12-12-2009, 09:01 PM
I've made 9 passes at the track on my car this summer and have been itching now that track nights are 40 degrees instead of 90 degrees. I just dont want to push my luck...I might pick up a spare diff then hit the track again so if I go on a Friday I can be back on the road by Monday.

I didn't know the V2 rear (3rd gen diff) bolted up to our rear. I know they got rid of the wheelhop issue with the V2, but what did they specifically do to the diff this time?

The third gen diff is not what comes in the V2 cts-v. Its a bit confussing, but its just the third gen of diffs for the V1(1st gen) cts-v lol. The v2 diff wont just bolt into our cars:bang:

Sean01
12-12-2009, 09:04 PM
I think the best thing we can do for our diffs is to try and minimize wheelhop. That is usually the killer of any rearend. Its like taking a jackhammer to it. I have added the cradle bushings and the front diff bushing and am going to order a hendrix halfshaft as soon as possible.

JJSimon904
12-13-2009, 10:22 AM
I figured when he said redesigned in 08, that was the one that made it into the V2. It sounds like the most cost effective thing would be the 08 rear, good axles and maybe a kars kit for support.

maxspeed96ct
12-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Just to update everyone on what skull meant by V3 rear..

Its not a rear from a 08-09 V.

Its just the 06-07 diff with some more design changes. ( no one knows how good it is yet since its still fairly new but I guess none have broken yet )

maxspeed96ct
12-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Any one on here know about cryo treating ?

I have only heard about it, dont know much but from what Ive gathered it has to do with strengthening metals.

The pricing looks fair, I wonder If we would benifit if we did the differential case ?

JJSimon904
12-14-2009, 09:22 AM
..that would involve completely disassembling and rebuilding the diff and I hear that is the biggest PITA..lol.

onebadcad
12-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Just to update everyone on what skull meant by V3 rear..

Its not a rear from a 08-09 V.

Its just the 06-07 diff with some more design changes. ( no one knows how good it is yet since its still fairly new but I guess none have broken yet )

If this is a re-engineered '06/'07 diff, it is still junk!

maxspeed96ct
12-14-2009, 02:56 PM
..that would involve completely disassembling and rebuilding the diff and I hear that is the biggest PITA..lol.

well since I bought a used diff for cheap , Im going to check out all the gears and guts in my current diff and if its still good Ill buy just the case
( i think they sell it like that )

maxspeed96ct
12-18-2009, 06:13 PM
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb212/maxspeed96ct/diffbroken.jpg

I think I might need a new driveshaft to :bang:

punishmentcycle
12-18-2009, 07:44 PM
ouch....another 800. sorry bro, where is the shaft damaged?

STAGEUP
12-19-2009, 04:56 AM
I havent had any trouble with my Gen 3 diff, and I drag race my car a lot on nitrous! Try getting one. Trust me, you dont wanna go through this again.

maxspeed96ct
12-19-2009, 07:50 AM
I havent had any trouble with my Gen 3 diff, and I drag race my car a lot on nitrous! Try getting one. Trust me, you dont wanna go through this again.

Dont have the cash right now, plus now I need to find a drivesaft.

Im going to try to see If I could get a custom aluminum one for for a fair price or Ill find a used one.

800$ is crazy and theres no possible way to fix the coupler either...

onebadcad
12-19-2009, 10:29 AM

Stageup,
Glad you have yet to leave your diff fluid all over the dragstrip. Any vids of you coming out of the hole and red-line slamming shifts all the way done the track. You may be the exception, but most of us are afraid to shift hard, let alone launch, as too many before us, including me, have paid the price for doing it. If this Gen III diff has some more V-owner support I may look into it.
Thanks.

maxspeed96ct
12-19-2009, 10:34 AM
Stageup,
Glad you have yet to leave your diff fluid all over the dragstrip. Any vids of you coming out of the hole and red-line slamming shifts all the way done the track. You may be the exception, but most of us are afraid to shift hard, let alone launch, as too many before us, including me, have paid the price for doing it. If this Gen III diff has some more V-owner support I may look into it.
Thanks.

Id like to see some vids as well, I'll believe the gen 3 fix when I see it, cause some guys says even the 06-07 diff is a beast, but yet no one hits the track slamming gears with them and I have heard of a few break still.

SkullV
12-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Stageup,
Thanks.

Ive made over 100 passes on mine (3rd gen case) with bolt ons a tune, and a couple on nitrous. I also made a couple passes on a 2nd gen case without any breaking but it got NOISY. I'll try and dig up some videos.

maxspeed96ct
12-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Ive made over 100 passes on mine (3rd gen case) with bolt ons a tune, and a couple on nitrous. I also made a couple passes on a 2nd gen case without any breaking but it got NOISY. I'll try and dig up some videos.

Nice, were you able to pull of some good 60fts?

I notice not many get good times with the V.
Most looked like they just couldnt get 60 fts right..