Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 T56 purchasing advise

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 T56 purchasing advise

I am looking for some T56 procurement advise...

I am in the process of putting a LS1 in my Miata and have finally saved up enough nickels and dimes to start searching for the tranny.

I know I want one out of a LS1 F-body, but that's about as far as I have gotten.

The engine I am using is 430/430 at the crank and my car will weigh 2400-2500lbs. The car will be used for autocross and road course duty, very limited street time. 275 R-compound tires. No drag racing.

Used from a private seller/salvage yard or rebuilt?

If rebuilt, recommendation on who to buy from?

Do I need upgraded 3-4 shift forks, bronze shift pads, upgraded syncros?

I have seen them on ebay as cheap as $1700 shipped for a rebuilt one. I'm pretty sure a stock one will be fine for my car given the weight and limited traction, but I don't have any experience with this tranny so I don't know.

I am in SE VA and would like to find something close so I can limit the shipping costs.

Any and all advise is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

even though they are rated at 350 TQ I have seen stock ones hold ALOT more power than that, ususally alot of other things in the drive train break befor the trans.

I just purchased the cheepest one I could find, and if it blows then I will just send it to TICK for a performance rebuild.

1700 for a rebuild one does not seem bad either.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here are some things to think about before buying
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-used-t56.html
Old 12-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Schitzo
here are some things to think about before buying
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-used-t56.html
Good information...Thanks for the link!
Old 12-11-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The early T56 tranmissions are not as reliable as the later models. They made some improvements to them throughout the years. IMO if the trans is from an LS1 car you can pretty much count on it needing a rebuild sooner or later.

Rebuilds typically run around $1500. So $1700 for an already rebuilt one from a reputable dealer sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I don't know about you, but most of my project I could afford to do once, but not twice.

There are some highly reccomended trans suppliers on this site. Do a search for recommendations, or maybe someone will chime in.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 12-12-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Core Charge??

I think I have seen those on Ebay as well and $1700.00 is not bad for a stock rebuilt transmission, but I think you might want to read the fine print, there is a core charge and it sounded like in your post you do not have a core, so be prepared for the additional $$ of a core charge or shipping charges to send your core back and hope your core is ok and they refund the full amount of the core charge, not saying this one of those places, but a lot of places find a reason not to refund your entire core charge as they usually find some non repairable stuff in your core as a reason not to refund the core charge partially or at all.