New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the difference between a underdrive pulley and a underdrive balancer?

Old 12-11-2009, 02:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default What is the difference between a underdrive pulley and a underdrive balancer?

I was just wondering this. My mechanic has a steel underdrive crank pulley to put on my car, but he is asking me if I want a underdrive balancer to go with it? what is the difference? and is there any reason to switch to a underdrive balancer when you have the underdrive pulley?

any info on this would help I was under the impression they were the same thing.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:30 PM
10 Second Club

nevermind I think I got it, the balancer is bolted into the pulley, when my pulley was purchased it did not come with the balancer. I guess I will just use the old balancer and shoot it with some black paint to freshen it up, I dont see any reason to replace it
Old 12-11-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People interchange the terms a lot but our engines are internally balanced so technically we don't have a balancer we have a harmonic damper or dampener. Usually refered to as a pulley on here. It's job is to turn the accesories and absorb torsional vibration and harmonics from the crank which can damage bearings and cranks in extreme cases.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:39 PM
10 Second Club

ok I got confused with what my mechanic was trying to tell me, I was under the impression that he purchased a pulley with the rest of my pulleys, but he was talking about the stock crank pulley and was asking me if I wanted to upgrade it. it just had me confused
Old 12-11-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The difference is verbiage.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:49 PM
10 Second Club

thats what I thought. I just thought he had already gotten me one, and was asking if i wanted the balancer.

the confusion started because I asked him what he got (thinking what was on my car) he took it as descirbing me what he had gotten for his car lol and was asking me if I wanted one for mine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is the difference between a underdrive pulley and a underdrive balancer?