Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CONFUSED and LOST!!! please help, no start or gauges

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CONFUSED and LOST!!! please help, no start or gauges

I have a 98 Ls1, i just finished installing my new motor...

MS3 cam, all supporting mods. 01 Ls1 motor.

My gauges are not coming on, nor is the odometer displaying.
I have checked all fuses and relays, needles to say i havent seen anything out of order.

HOW THIS ALL STARTED...

We were finshing everything up on my motor build and swap, i was buttoning up the drive shraft and torque arm while a buddy was installing the starter and alt. HE SOME HOW thought that the negative battery cable would make a good fit on the starter solenoid. I overlooked his mistake so i blame myself, guess i was anxiuos to get her started.

So i went to crank on it and got the gauges up and the odometer light up, went to start it and the ignition fuse blewv with no sign of cranking. We replaced the fuse. and i ran the ground to the bottom AC bracket, sanded the block and attached it there. It should aslo be noted that when i went to move the ground, i did not un hook the battery and accidentaly touched the negative to the positive terminal, causing an arc.

I had a buddy who has several LS cars come over and take a look and after some searching and testing we came to the conclusion that maybe my PCM needed to be reflashed... sooooo i ran up to carquest and had the PCM reflashed to my VIN code.

Needless to say, the flash did not do a damn thing

I was told that the smaller wire on the starter was a "burn" wire or fused link??? meaning that the wire will burn up upon a short by design.

DOES THIS SOUND PLAUSIBLE???
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
-Bill
636-484-1184

Last edited by stangbeaterz28; 12-12-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you probably have a few fuseable links in your car. I believe one to the alternator, starter, and ignition (might be more). If you are getting no gauges or odometer to light up, you probably blew the fuseable link to the ignition. Now where that is located is another thing haha.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

GREAT!!!! more wire hunting

Everyone i have talked to says fusable link...

If the starter fusable link is bad would it cause the ignition to not get juice???? Thats where the bone head mistake was made, so im starting with that one.

Any ideas on where the ignition link is???? Im not at home but will be later tonight.

thanks,
Bill
Old 12-12-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are 3 fusible links connected to the fuse box under the hood.
I would upload the diagram but for some reason I can't no matter how small I re-size it.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

OK, so assuming i need new ones, how do i go about replacing it? Can i make my own or is this available at a parts store?
Old 12-13-2009, 03:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

you just buy some fuseable link the same gauge that you are replacing and cut it the same length that is on the car. don't forget to use some good butt connectors and some heat shrink. you also need to check the ground behind the left cylinder head
Old 12-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

ok. will give it a shot and report back
Old 12-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

where can i buy this fusable link?? checked the local parts store...like always they dont have anything. And have never heard of fusable link!!

ANY ideas??? im checkin with the dealer

Can i replace it with a wire of the same gauge with a fuse built into it? What size fuse should i use if so?
Old 12-13-2009, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

i absolutlely hate fusible links. drive people crazy .might as well just have fuses so u can replace them easily
Old 12-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by E-Works
i absolutlely hate fusible links. drive people crazy .might as well just have fuses so u can replace them easily
cheers to that man. I hate sparky.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

before wasting time and money you should check the fuseable links before just replacing them all. all you need is test light. did you check to see if power was at the fuse box under the hood and inside the car (battery voltage)?
Old 12-14-2009, 12:16 AM
Staging Lane

ill get the test light toomorow. but so far i have pulled the starter link and inspected, it appears normal, i was under the impression that it would be obvious if it was broke.

Toomorrow ill grab the t-light and start pokin around and post up my findings after work.

But as for now...
Starter link appears good.
Fuses good
Relays all swapped around with no change.
battery good
grounds all re-done and sanded to 100% bare metal in correct locations
-still no change

I have no power to my gauges nor does the odometer kick on... headlights and interior lights are working, and again ill note; the ignition "ding" is muffled or raspy sounding.

-Bill
Old 12-14-2009, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

next time do all the wiring connections yourself. consider it a lesson learned. also label them if need be for reference when re assembling
Old 12-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

I HAVE IT CRANKING!!!! No fuel though, all fuses light up when i put a test light to them and car is cranking good with good oil pressure! EXCEPT, the fuel pump relay tangs.

What could be my issue now

my number is 636-484-1184 please call with any advice!!!

-Bill
Old 12-14-2009, 11:29 PM
Staging Lane

no power to fuel pump, any body?????

Last edited by stangbeaterz28; 12-15-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

Still no power, any ideas???

Last edited by stangbeaterz28; 12-15-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

there some has got to be something that you r missing unless u have a broken wire inside the isolation. double check the eng ctrl 50 amp maxi fuse under the hood in fuse box #2. also check the fuel pump 20amp mini fuse in fuse box #1 under the hood. pull both fuses and look at them good. also put a voltmeter on these circuits and check the voltage with the ign on. did you check the fuseable links? if so how did u check them? is the ground hooked up to frame near the battery?
Old 12-15-2009, 11:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Grounds?
Old 12-16-2009, 12:14 AM
Staging Lane

grounds are all in place 100% sure... i even went as far as to sand down all contact points.

I checked the starter fusable link by completely removing it from the starter and out of the harness. inspected every inch by pinching, pulling and twisting. i also pulled from each end with reasonable force.

i re-installed it, and still no gauges or odo. so i went over all the fuses and relays with a test light to see what was getting power (key forward and cranking), everything was dead. All i had was interior stuff, headlights and ignition "ding". The second i touched the ignition fuse with the test light my igntion started dinging and my buddy said the odo came on and the gauges are up. he went to crank it and it turned over! i had spent hours searching for a mistake and re-doing, and making sure everything was in place, and all we did was touch a test light to a fuse and its fixed????. i unplugged the ignition coils and fuel pump fuse (not kknowing it was the dead one). I cranked to build oil pressure and got about 50 psi under cranking. then went to start it and got nothing. I re-checked every fuse in the boxes again... fuel pump relay and fuse are the only ones not to light up.

I have no idea what to do from here.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

i tried jumping the fuel pump fuse from the TCS bat fuse and the car started. It shut off after a few seconds, tried again with similiar results.

still no power to the fuse normally.

any ideas guys?