Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code read Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code read Procedure

What is the proper procedure for reading trouble codes. what do I do first and what are the steps involved. I know the basics of it, I just want to know if there are any special precautions? And how do I clear the codes? Do I fix problem and disconnect Bat. for 20 mins? In the haynes manual, OBD2 codes look like po155 or something like that. how will the "check eng light" flash to say that code?
Old 12-16-2003, 09:53 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GenXreject
What is the proper procedure for reading trouble codes. what do I do first and what are the steps involved. I know the basics of it, I just want to know if there are any special precautions? And how do I clear the codes? Do I fix problem and disconnect Bat. for 20 mins? In the haynes manual, OBD2 codes look like po155 or something like that. how will the "check eng light" flash to say that code?
Whatever code reader you get should have the procedure in the manual. It usually goes something like;
1. Plug reader into OBDII port.
2. Turn key to ON position.
3. Turn reader on (this may have happened when you turned on the ignition, mine does)
4. Hit whatever key causes the reader to read
5. you can then look at what codes were detected
6. Clear codes if desired.

The light won't necessarily flash a certain way to indicate a code, so the only sure way to tell is to get a reader on it.