Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I break my converter?

Old 12-11-2009, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Did I break my converter?

I have a Vigilante 3200 triple disk. It's been working fine for about the last 1000 miles since I put it in. Tonight, after a few WOT blasts, I thought my tranny was fried because it was acting like it was slipping really bad. However, once the converter locks up, all is fine, the trans is not slipping after all.

It's as though somehow something in the converter broke and it made VERY loose.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? What failed? How likely is it that it sent crap through my trans? (although the trans still seems to be working good)

I wanted a lower stall anyway, guess my hand has been forced and I'll be swapping converters sooner rather than later. Not sure I want to put another P.I. in there though, not after this.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, i broke the turbine hub in my converter and it felt like there was a huge stall in the car. Less then 10 secsonds of runtime after that, i pulled the trans apart and found metal everywhere.

Currently waiting on parts to refresh the tranz and install my new FTI converter
Old 12-12-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think my TC just went out last night. I have a TCI SSF3600 which has been in there for over 5 years. I was thinking of a 3200 Yank.

Good luck.

Bill
Old 12-14-2009, 06:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

It sounds lik eyou might have laid over the fins in the converter. Give me a call and I may be able to better diagnose but I need to ask some more questions.

Greg
1-866-726-8358
info@ftiperformance.com
FTIPerformance.com
FTI Converter build sheet

Old 07-19-2010, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

UPDATE: Sent the converter to Chris at Circle-D. He found that a bearing broke and took out the fins. Never again will I purchase a converter from P.I.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

parts fail...I wouldn't just blame them

I bet you won't find any tc company with a 100% track record...did you ask them about repair or replacement first?

I run a Yank so I'm not nut hugging just applying some objective opinion here, if my converter went bad I would talk to Yank before just going up in arms and vowing to buy elsewhere next time
Old 07-20-2010, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

I bought it here from a forum member. No warranty. It was freshly rebuilt by PI. I do trust the seller on this point.

When I told my gear head buddies about my choice of a triple disk PI, they told me I had made a mistake buying a PI. I arrogantly disagreed, then the darn thing broke soon afterwards.

All-in-all it was a bad experience for me, so I choose to exclude PI from my list of converter vendors. Plenty of others have PI's and love them. But I am done with 'em. There are plenty of other well respected converter manufacturers to chose from.

Search this Thread