Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Received SS4000 today!!! I have a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 12:35 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Received SS4000 today!!! I have a few questions.

First off...I was wondering how they painted it? Reason I ask is because theres several places where the paint is gone. I know that I will never see it when installed, but the thought of what if they assembled my converter with used parts crossed my mind! There was also a couple of notches/knicks in the casing itself. I know I might be a little picky, but for the money I paid for it, I expected near perfect.

Secondly...it came with 3 bolts...Im assuming those are the mounting bolts, do yall guys use them, or do you go out and buy some different ones? Reason I ask is because I didnt know how important those mounting bolts were and if you needed to get a certain hardness.

Thirdly...as I was taking it out of the box, I heard something rattle inside the converter. I thought that I was hearing things, so I shook it up a little and I heard it again. Is this normal? If so, what is moving around in there. If not, what could be wrong?

Lastly...Ive never owned an automatic sports car, is there anything that I should look for or inspect on the converter to make sure that everything is good to go? The only sticker that was on the converter itself, was what tranny and engine its for, is there suppose to be one that states what series and size it is?

Thanks in advance and sorry for being so long. I just want to clear things up and reassure myself that I just didnt blow a whole lot of money.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the three bolts are the torque converter to flexplate bolts, the ones Yank sends are grade 8 and are perfect for the application. USE the supplued bolts.

The sounds you here are just the internals in the converter and are normal, make sure you prefill the converter before installation with trans fluid.

Clint
Old 12-15-2003, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't really tell you how they paint it for sure, but here's a picture of mine after it had been used for < 10k miles. Take it FWIW.

www.unrealhp.com/misc/DCP_0327.JPG

I doubt yours has any problems, but I can't blame you for asking.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:02 PM
TECH Veteran

As far as paint goes, I wouldnt really worry about it, some of the paint gets rubbed off on the box during shipping. As far as converters go, we have had 2 vigis, 2 TCS', and now a YANK and the yank is the bet quality i have seen out of all of them. And it out performs them as well which is always a plus.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:14 PM
9 Second Club NA

So do I bring it to Yank's attention, or just dont worry about it? I looked at the packaging inside the box and it had rubbed off. Im assuming they either use really cheap paint, or they package up the converter shortly after they finish painting them. But even beside the paint rubbing off, there was a lot of blemishes on the casing to go along with a couple of notches/nicks. There was also paint on the base of the hub, but Im not sure how far down it will make a difference or hurt anything. Im not trying to sound like a baby or whiner, but as I said before, for the money that you pay for them, you would think that they would be near perfect. I know that the looks has nothing to do with them, but look at it this way...if the half *** it on the outside, what if they do the same on the inside. Those are just my thoughts. I mean if they have the knowledge/smarts to build a converter, how come they cant get painting the casing right? I went ahead and put up the extra money for a Yank because everyone here convinced me that it was a better quality converter, and that it out performs other leading converter companies, etc. etc. I just didnt expect this...so what should I do? Thanks
Old 12-16-2003, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NVMySS
So do I bring it to Yank's attention, or just dont worry about it? I looked at the packaging inside the box and it had rubbed off. Im assuming they either use really cheap paint, or they package up the converter shortly after they finish painting them. But even beside the paint rubbing off, there was a lot of blemishes on the casing to go along with a couple of notches/nicks. There was also paint on the base of the hub, but Im not sure how far down it will make a difference or hurt anything. Im not trying to sound like a baby or whiner, but as I said before, for the money that you pay for them, you would think that they would be near perfect. I know that the looks has nothing to do with them, but look at it this way...if the half *** it on the outside, what if they do the same on the inside. Those are just my thoughts. I mean if they have the knowledge/smarts to build a converter, how come they cant get painting the casing right? I went ahead and put up the extra money for a Yank because everyone here convinced me that it was a better quality converter, and that it out performs other leading converter companies, etc. etc. I just didnt expect this...so what should I do? Thanks

I think you should have purchased an appearance mod. You are describing some pretty lame stuff for a not seen part. They do not do proffesional paint jobs on these converters, nor do they polish the casing before painting. What you have described is very normal for any converter. What you are paying for is the goods inside..........
Old 12-16-2003, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personnally, I wouldn't care if my Yank converter came UNpainted...in fact, it would be less weight that way!

Seriously, just install it and take it to the track. You'll never think about the paint job of this unseen part again. Besides, converters aren't appearance items and Yank isn't in the painting business. The quality of the paint job has exactly ZERO to do with the quality of the converter.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:14 AM
9 Second Club NA

Thank all for the replies...I understand what everyone is trying to say about the appearance of it. At first I had it set in my mind that the paint on the outside had nothing to do with it, but as time went on, I started to think otherwise. I guess I just put too much thought into it and started making assumptions. I knew in the beginning that you would never see, but I just wanted to point out a different side to it.

Anyhow, this is my first performance converter to ever buy, well actually...the first converter whatsoever. Is there anything that any of you look for or inspect when you get your new converters? I have the pre-fill the converter and use the provided bolts down...is there anything else that I need to do prior to installation? Thanks

By the way, this question has been running through my mind and I dont have any clue how it came about, but I was wondering...since the converter is spinning, do they balance them? Just curious because just like any other part that moves round and round could be out of balance and vibrate. Thanks again everyone for your help.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

If it is out of balance you will know imediately while driving. Give the PCM about 40 or so miles to relearn before you hammer down on it and be ready for the car to fish tail from side to side at low speed (15mph punch) because it will get away from you FAST if you never driven a stalled automatic.

I have had 1 Vig,3 TCS and 2 Yank converters with the Yanks being the highest quality of all of them,so don't worry you will be fine.