Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Brand of gears

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Brand of gears

I am lookin ginto purchasing a new set of gears for a moser 12-bolt i have bought. it has 4.30's in it right now w/ a 33-spline series 4 carrier. My question is what brand of gears are the best to look for? I'm looking for a set of 4.10's for the replacement.

JR
Old 12-15-2003, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM or Motive are probably gonna be the best but they are seriosuly expensive...i have Strange gears and i have no complaints....theyre a strong gear and theyre quiet...i recommend em...
Old 12-15-2003, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

where can i find the GM or Motive gears.? I looked at a few sites but only saw thunder having Strange.

JR
Old 12-16-2003, 08:59 AM
Launching!

When I ordered my strange rearend I had to wait an extra few weeks because they ran out of gears. So someone over there decided to give me a set of gm motive gears. 100 miles after I installed the rear end I had to have it serviced at stranges expense because the the car sounded like a chainsaw going down the road. sure enough the gears were eaten to ****. The replacements I received were US something (cant remember the exact name).
Old 12-17-2003, 08:44 AM
11 Second Club

I chewed up 5 Motive sets in 6 weeks, and the installs were not bad.

Went with Richmonds, fine now after 2 years....same installer. No noise.
Old 12-17-2003, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had Motive 4.11s installed *exactly* as marked by them (pinion depth). broke em in very easy, but they were still loud as hell. I traded them out for Precision Gears and the marked depth was dead on, no noise what so ever after 6,000 miles with a couple of really hard races! I'm sure the Motives would've been fine if we would've re-shimmed them a few times(PITA in my case)
EDIT:
Yea, everytime I hear about Motives the person is saying that their pinion depth was way off and they either broke after months of loud whine or they reshimed them a few times. Installers can't afford to reshim gears over and over to find the right depth, thats why the depth needs to be right the first time(pre marked)

Last edited by skippytheloon; 12-17-2003 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by skippytheloon
I had Motive 4.11s installed *exactly* as marked by them (pinion depth). broke em in very easy, but they were still loud as hell. I traded them out for Precision Gears and the marked depth was dead on, no noise what so ever after 6,000 miles with a couple of really hard races! I'm sure the Motives would've been fine if we would've re-shimmed them a few times(PITA in my case)
EDIT:
Yea, everytime I hear about Motives the person is saying that their pinion depth was way off and they either broke after months of loud whine or they reshimed them a few times. Installers can't afford to reshim gears over and over to find the right depth, thats why the depth needs to be right the first time(pre marked)
Bingo.

After spitting out 5 Motive sets in a matter of weeks, I had racked up serious debt over a stupid gear swap. I was caught in a war between Motive, my installer(s), and my vendor. Each of 5 Motive sets came without any stamped sets, and the manual said to just set it up like stock. Yeah right. In 7 weeks, I was into $1900.00 worth of chewed up gears and money spent on installs. All for a"simple" 4.10 gear swap.

The installer said it was the gears. Motive said my installers were lame. My vendor at first said that he would credit all the bad sets I sent back to him. Then, he said he was denied by Motive, so I had to "eat" 5 Motive gear sets (plus all the money on the installs.) My installer spent 9 hours trying to reshim the last set before we gave up.

I got raged. I sent Motive true death threats via e-mail, and had intentions (at the time) of carrying them out. Finally, they gave in. I still spent around $1100.00 for a freakin' gear swap when this all settled. And it's because I switched to Richmond Gears, who pre-run their gears and stamp the numbers on the pinion for the installer to duplicate. Motive didn't do that.

Until they "met" me. It's something they should have done from day one. Their error allowed for the most expensive gear swap in LS1 history, which I own. I could've bought more mods had they done the right thing from the get-go.

I'm glad they finally got it right. And I didn't get any "guinea pig" fee.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

I think i'm going to give a set of Strange 4.11's a shot here. Thanks for the input on some of the brands.

JR