General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Horn doesn't work

Old 12-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn doesn't work

As the title says, my horn doesn't work. I looked briefly to try to find where it was under the hood, but I was in a hurry to go somewhere.

Anyone know where it is and what could possibly be wrong with it?

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Join the club. Raise your hand if your horn works.

Next you'll tell us your power windows don't work either.

Just kidding, man. I don't know and I've never tried to figure it out.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Resident

It under the passenger side headlight. There's actually two, a high and low pitch. The low pitch one always goes out on mine, it comes back on if I just unplug and plug it back in.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

They're here, remove the passenger side front fascia (under the bumper) to get to them:

http://shbox.com/1/vacuum_tank.jpg

It could just be that the horn button went out. They are cheap plastic, mine broke on my 96. Take off the airbag and have a look before you spend money on horns.
The following users liked this post:
eb110americana (01-03-2020)
Old 12-13-2009, 07:41 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Are you pressing the small horn icon on the side of the steering wheel? When it gets cold outside, you have to press the button on the sides. Pressing the airbag in the middle of the steering wheel won't make contact with the switch.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

if its broke just go to advanced auto or autozone a new low or high note is like 11 bucks...ive done mine twice. water gets i them pretty easy atleast it you have the t/a front fascia.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

I'm thinking it's not the button, I first noticed it wasn't honking with the keyless entry lock. And it doesn't make any noise at all so I'm not sure if that means both horns are out or what.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

If the horn doesn't work even when you hit your key fob, then it's probably a problem with the horn itself. If the horn sounds with the key fob, but not when you try to honk it from your steering wheel, it's probably the little brass contact behind the airbad in the actual steering wheel. My car had that problem...but it's an easy fix
Old 12-15-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Regular

+1. My low note doesn't work either. Are both horns on the same side of the car or is one on the left and one on the right? I guess I'll change that horn out next time I change the oil.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

I was having problems with mine, so I took the horns out of the car and dried them with a hair-drier. Like posted before, it's easy for water to get into them.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:34 AM
12 Second Club

I also think the conections are poor. Put some dielectric grease on them when you plug the horn back in so that the terminals don't corode.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by joesscamaro252
If the horn doesn't work even when you hit your key fob, then it's probably a problem with the horn itself. If the horn sounds with the key fob, but not when you try to honk it from your steering wheel, it's probably the little brass contact behind the airbad in the actual steering wheel. My car had that problem...but it's an easy fix
+1 just fixed my GF's horn on her 00' Z key fob honked the horn but button didnt work...2 t15 screws behind the air bag and bent the two tabs and now it works like a charm...hope its that easy for you GL..
Old 12-24-2019, 10:23 AM
Teching In

My horn did work before I replaced the turn signal cam in mine, put everything back like it was supposed to go... Horn doesnt work now...
Old 12-25-2019, 08:38 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LS6
My horn did work before I replaced the turn signal cam in mine, put everything back like it was supposed to go... Horn doesnt work now...
Your cam may still be broken. It's very common to have a broken cam before install and not know it. Did you pull the airbag and see if your horn wire is still plugged in? https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...en-column.html

If so, please start a new thread for your issue. (This is a different situation than this one started with.)
Old 02-16-2020, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

When I bought my Firehawk last summer, I didn't even think to test the horn. It was dead when I finally tried it.

Being a little annoyed with myself that I didn't test that part of the car, I started tapping the horn pad on the steering wheel repeatedly, first lightly, then with more force and speed. Suddenly, one little pathetic honk came out of one of the horns. I think the low freq one. Well, that sorta proved the circuit works.. it's the horns that are toast. Since the car is 20 years old, I figured it's time to just replace the horns. Found a hi/lo combo at a major parts chain and put them in, making new connections using solder (the replacements are not plug and play with the factory connectors) and sealing everything with shrink wrap. Horns are good and loud now. No issues.
Btw: I was sure to face the horns openings down and away from the front of the car to try and prevent any water from entering. I don't plan on intentionally driving the car in other than rain-free weather, but summer thunderstorms are inevitable here in New England, so best to plan for the rain just in case.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Horn doesn't work