LS4 Performance Grand Prix GXP | Monte Carlo SS | Impala SS | LaCrosse Super

couple problems with the gxp

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple problems with the gxp

First off my heated seats do not work and it keeps poping the fuse. It is kinda of weird because the lights int he HVAC panel stay on saying that the seat is working but it is not and keeps blowing the fuse.
Second is a on going problem that is really making me mad. My car uses oil, about a quart every 2000 miles and I find that unacceptable. The dealer says that is with in GM spec and will not do **** about it. I am sick of adding oil all the time like I drive a beater car. I have looked and do not see any external leaks, I have not idea what is going on here.
Any ideas would be awesome so I have something to back myself up with before I bring the car back to the dealer again for this warranty work.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the oil consumption problem, take it out and flogg it like you stole it. Depending on how it has been driven the oil control rings may be sticking. I had this issue with my STS north*. Beating on it hurt me more than the car, but also reduced the oil consumption by almost 90% I bet. It used to use almost a qt every 1K miles, after less than 1/2qt between oil changes.

As for the seat heaters, sounds like one is grounded. Probably the drivers side. Good luck.

Last edited by LS4SPEED; 12-13-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

never heard that beating on the car will fix the problem lol.......i really do not mash the gas to often for extended periods of time either.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Take her to the track and give her a good beating lol

I bought mine at 21k, currently have just under 41k, and I drive her hard I would say. I use absolutely zero oil. I've been using Mobil1 synthetic since I bought it, I added oil once before my first oil change, and it was only half a quart.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I’ve never heard of that one before. But it sounds reasonable, I get on it occasionally and use no oil.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

Over the summer I take the car to the track and beat on it, nothing changes with oil useage. I have used different brands of oil too, Mobil1, Castrol syntech, castrol syntech 0W30 that all the LS1 guys talk about, valvoline and it does not matter.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

hey man my tranny just went on this car with only 40k miles and gm just replaces with the same ****... try having that problem. i too have that oil issue people say its just ls engine thing, bs if u ask me . whoever thought up this car really fucked it up. gm should do a recall on all of these piece of **** rides...
Old 12-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

bigalnash I've never seen you say anything positive about your car. why don't you just get rid of it and be done with it.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigalnash
hey man my tranny just went on this car with only 40k miles and gm just replaces with the same ****... try having that problem. i too have that oil issue people say its just ls engine thing, bs if u ask me . whoever thought up this car really fucked it up. gm should do a recall on all of these piece of **** rides...
what do you want them to replace it with?

if you dont like the car then trade it in....problem solved for ya.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

the same transmission thats built up to speed this time,
Old 12-15-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DP 08 GXP
what do you want them to replace it with?
A T56.
haha
Old 12-15-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigalnash
the same transmission thats built up to speed this time,
good luck with that
Old 12-15-2009, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DP 08 GXP
good luck with that
is he a bdyman AE?
Old 12-15-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SidewaysV8
is he a bdyman AE?
Old 12-15-2009, 11:38 PM
Staging Lane

little off course here lol. any other suggestions other then beating the crap out of my car.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

trade it in,
i never have heard of "beating" on a car will solve issues, tha has to be the most restarded statement i have seen on a forum in a long time, so...lol....the next time my turd is at the dealership i should say to the tech "im going to beat on my car to stop oil consumption"

i`ll get laughed out of the shop then it would come back to my boss then ill be the laughin stock at the dealership and at work

dude you know i feel your pain, my car has had more problems then problems, i too have the same oil consumption problem, and i believe there is ANOTHER tsb for yet another problem on this car, but with out a warranty its going to cost a **** load of money

so i check my oil once a week and then i check everything else while im looking
Old 12-16-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bdyman
trade it in,
i never have heard of "beating" on a car will solve issues, tha has to be the most restarded statement i have seen on a forum in a long time, so...lol....the next time my turd is at the dealership i should say to the tech "im going to beat on my car to stop oil consumption"

i`ll get laughed out of the shop then it would come back to my boss then ill be the laughin stock at the dealership and at work

dude you know i feel your pain, my car has had more problems then problems, i too have the same oil consumption problem, and i believe there is ANOTHER tsb for yet another problem on this car, but with out a warranty its going to cost a **** load of money

so i check my oil once a week and then i check everything else while im looking
My dad had a 996 that went into the 'ship for a poor idle and weak performance symptoms. Days later, after taking the entire engine apart, carbon buildup on the valves and carbon corrosion in the engine was the cause of this problem.

Everything was stripped and cleaned, some parts replaced, at the tune of 2k in replacement parts. The problem was so rare that a tech was brought in from Germany to a very, very large reputable Porsche Dealership on the West Coast, Augner (now called AutoGallery).

In a thick German accent, the tech approached my dad and I saying, "Sir, Porsches weren't made in heaven, they were made in Stuttgart....don't be afraid to get devilish with it occasionally."

Beat on it...its just metal, plastic, and glass.....
Old 12-16-2009, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its best to get on the engine everyso often. You gotta blow out the gunk as well as pressure up the rings. Its normal and advised.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another thing, I'll never understand why everyone thinks these transmissions are weak. I have never heard of a unit back from when it was the 440-T4 till now breaking loaded hard parts except differentials(which pegleging causes that to any differential). Also clutches never seem to burn out. With this being said I would never say its a weak unit. It is more than capable of channling engines power such as the LS4 and pull a large passenger car. It might be hydraulically challenged but I would never say its weak.

Last edited by Count of Monte Carlo; 12-16-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh no, well when i saw my trans being rebuilt and the tech showed me the clutches, and everything else, its was black, every piece of metal was burnt to a crisp
he tells me ****** mexican built junk, i get parts that say the same thing made in mexico on a gm box, if its sooooooo strong then why are soooooo many people having problems then??? hummmmmm????

Quick Reply: couple problems with the gxp