Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

frontwheel POPPING while reversing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default frontwheel POPPING while reversing?

ive been over every inch of the suspension in my 04..checked both hubs,tierods (inner and outer) new struts..pulled apart the control arms to check the ball joints and bushings..cant find anything else wrong anywhere..

heres my issue: ONLY while reversing and turning the wheel, it feels like a bad hub. the wheels pop and clunk bad..almost like they wants to come off..i can watch and feel it thru the SW and if outside the car..i can watch the whole frontend sorta jumps and pops like its being hit with a hammer..my rack is good,tires are pretty new..i am running 20's so i thought a hub but there is NO play,grinding or any symtoms of them being bad...

i just dont get it...ive searched all over and the only thing i havent pulled out yet is the intermediate shaft... any ideas?
Old 12-13-2009, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no ideas but mine just started doing that on Tuesday of last week. It was really cold like 10 outside so I thought the cold could be the issue.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine has been acting weird since it got cold actually, clutch pedal is really spongey, little creaks from the suspension. i do notice that if the car sits for a couple days outside and it rains or somtehing, when i first move the car i hear a little pop but it sounds like it could be from the surfrace rust on the rotors. Doesnt sound as severe as yours at all but if the same conditions cause it could be a problem.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Launching!

I know it may be out there, but id even pull on your sway bar and see if you can get movement out of them, then id look at the condition of the frame bushings, only reason is because it is common for the links to go bad and can make a popping sound, but ive never heard of "only in reverse and turning"
Old 12-14-2009, 05:12 AM
Banned

You sure its not just rubbing?

Your rims are huge
Old 12-14-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought it was the rims too...but i had the girl back it up while i was watching. tires close to the arm but still got about .5 inch before it touches... i just replaced my sway bar bushings..(they werent bad, but i wanted greaseable urethan anyway) still same problem... new rotors and pads about 5k ago..im lost on this one as it is only when reversing and cutting the wheel.. ive even held onto the arms while she backed it up and the entire assy pops but no real play in the bushings...

i havent checked the subframe bushings so i guess that'll be next
Old 12-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Launching!

I have the same issue - 19" ccws.

I just don't turn the wheel that far....my thought was an inherent flaw in the cv joint design that doesn't work with large wheels. I haven't done any inspection whatsoever so that is all speculation.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same issue. Mine started after I added spacers between the lower strut mount and the a-arm. I put a set of Eibach lowering springs on the car but it was so low I couldn't even align or drive the car. I added 3/4" spacers to raise the front end enough to get an alignment and this is when the popping started. Check your lower strut bolts for proper torque. The only other thing I can think of is the spring itself binding in the upper or lower bushing.

Shane

Quick Reply: frontwheel POPPING while reversing?