Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

zoom clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 06:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default zoom clutch

I installed a zoom clutch set just a little bit ago. Replaced clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing/slave cylinder, pilot bearing (roller), and flywheel. I have noticed a few things.
1. It engages much closer to the floor. It used to be about 1/2 way up before the clutch engaged, now its a little more than 1/4 of the way up. Good/bad?
2. It seems like it may chatter a bit, but not in every situation. I'm not real familar with chatter, so I may be calling it the wrong thing. 1st gear is just a quick engagement, the 2nd and 3rd gear, if I'm shifting at a low speed/low rpm rate, it feels like it shutters a bit (like taking off without giving it enough gas). If it give it a little throttle at gear change, I don't feel it. 4,5,6 gears are fine.

The clutch seems to be holding fine. I can climb a decent hill in 5th gear at around 45 mph with the pedal mashed to the floor and it doesnt slip. Is that chatter a sign of anything, or is it just due to the type of clutch. I didnt see anything about saying I would need different gear to avoid chatter.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the shuddering is chatter. I just put a level 3 monster in mine, it does it right now during break in. Mine only chatter when taking off, in 1st or reverse. I just give it more gas or just let off quicker. Did you replace your master? If not, its probably a good idea. I went with the tick master which is adjustable, its great, best mod so far.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if they've changed anything in the last 3 years, but I had a zoom 6 puck in my 94 Z28. That is chatter you are describing, and in the 10k miles before I sold the car it never went away. The plus side, the clutch holds up to an idiot 16 year old dumping it every time he drove the car for 8 months *shrug*, it finally took out the flywheel and ripped apart the clutch on him though ... so chatter yes.. indestructible.. yes, if you drive sensibly lol!!
Old 12-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did not replace the master cylinder, I did drain and clean it out. I was surprised at how black the oil was in the master. I bled it I dont know how many times, but it did worry my that when bleeding, some runs down into the bellhousing. I dont think any made it to the clutch surface. Just really curious on the chatter thing. If thats all it is, I'm not worried. I can live with that.

Quick Reply: zoom clutch