Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random Cylinder Missfire Code

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random Cylinder Missfire Code

Everything is stock except for my cam and exhaust. The cam swap was very recent and it has been tuned. Started throwing Random Cylinder Missfire so I find a loose spark plug and wire. Tighten them and code goes away. Drive it for a couple of days no problems and sitting in traffic one night Check engine light comes on again, same code. What could it be this time?
Old 12-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FastB
Everything is stock except for my cam and exhaust. The cam swap was very recent and it has been tuned. Started throwing Random Cylinder Missfire so I find a loose spark plug and wire. Tighten them and code goes away. Drive it for a couple of days no problems and sitting in traffic one night Check engine light comes on again, same code. What could it be this time?
whats the lift and duration of the cam? even with the tune if you idle to long with a decent size cam it will periodically throw that code
Old 12-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Launching!

226/234 .598”/.602” 111LSA +3 advance

That sounds reasonable I guess, but would the code re-set after the car has been turned off and cranked again?
Old 12-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FastB
226/234 .598”/.602” 111LSA +3 advance

That sounds reasonable I guess, but would the code re-set after the car has been turned off and cranked again?
thats the problem. yes it will reset itself if the problem doesnt happen within a certain amount of time. i have had the same thing for about 3 years now. if it shows a specific cylnder then i would worry. and it looks like your coming pretty close to your piston with that much lift on the exhaust i always heard .600 was about max with out cutting the pistons
Old 12-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Launching!

Patrick G. spec'd the cam for me so I hope it is ok. I don't think he would have spec'd me a cam based on the info I gave him that would not work. Thanks for the help.