Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very basic fuel system question

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Very basic fuel system question

Got the LS6 bolted into the Mercedes and removed the Benz's external fuel pumps (2) under the fuel tank. My Walbro GSL-392 pump will fit in place of one of the Mercedes pumps and it turns out that I can easily connect it to the Mercedes fuel filter, then to the steel fuel line heading forward. Simple so far.

I plan on purchasing an Aeromotive pressure regulator to mount in the engine compartment, then over to the fuel rails. The Benz has a return line already in place that will be used. Even the two Mercedes fuel pumps used wiring with lugs that will be moved onto the Walbro.

Do I need a check valve in the system or is it in the GSL-392?

Do I need to do anything else under the back of the car but connect the tank outlet to the pump input, through the filter and then out to the fuel line?

It sounds too simple, like I'm missing something back there.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Launching!

Very good question...would also like to know when to use a check valve, or how to know if you need one.

Do you need to use one regardless? Does it matter if you use a vette FPR?

Everyday it seems like my swap plans get more complicated! I thought I could just slap a fuel pump in the system and go!
Old 12-14-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm using an external Walbro pump and the 02 vette regulator. I suspect there's a check valve in that system since it maintains pressure at the rail without the pump on.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:55 AM
Launching!

Will a regulator provide a check valve function?? Normally they don't but this is an automotive unit and I'm not familiar with they're design. I'd expect these to be a diaphragm based regulator.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

A check valve may be a universal featue of all FI pumps or regulators. I think every car manual I've seen emphasizes the fact that there's pressure in the fuel system even with the pump off.

Quick Reply: Very basic fuel system question