Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

moving to norfolk area

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default moving to norfolk area

as the title says ill be moving to norfolk in april. are there any local f-body or lsx clubs? dragstrips?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Hey, also moving to the Norfolk area. I just posted in the other thread, maybe this one will have better luck...

I'm Navy, moving to the Norfolk area, I've already been told traffic is a PITA, and some of the places near base are pretty ghetto.

My questions are more for my car, what kind of laws as far as inspection should I worry about in Virginia? I've got the works, from full exhaust + ORY pipe to lowered suspension with aftermarket rims. I've got AIR/EGR delete and I'm mostly worried about whether or not the smog test.
If not, I should be good. Most I'll have to do is change out my Y-pipe to one with Cats (if they are picky about that) take off my illegal tint and swap out my blacked out front turn signals.
Also, are they picky about front license plates?
Thanks in advance, for the help.

One more question. Anyone in this forum from the Norfolk area that likes to cruise? I should be coming there in April - May timeframe. As soon as I get my feet on the ground, I'd like to meet up with some F-body guys.

If not, alc80, I'll at least be in the area, maybe we can get somethin' rollin'.
My buddy said the F-body scene is pretty good out there though, so I'm guessin' someone's gunna chime in here in a day or so.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Teching In

what part of hawaii are you in? im stationed on kbay right now although im deployed right now.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:13 AM
On The Tree

No smog in norfolk area, emissions is just visual. You will not pass with no cats. No AIR/EGR is usually not a problem. Just don't make it obvious.

Yes traffic sucks. What ships you going to? The company I work for works on a lot of different vessels.

Search for the Hampton Roads thread and post there. You will get the most replies as most of us have it set to let us know when someone posts.

There are a couple local message boards that people go to and a few "clubs" around.

4 drag strips within 2 hours, couple road courses not too far either and one can usually find a couple autocrosses throughout the year. Plus VA Speed is located here, if you need parts, etc.

Plenty of F-bodies around here, or guys that use to own them...Plenty of us have been doing things together for years. We even let the mustang guys play.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Traffic sucks. You gotta have cats, and a front tag. The cruise scene is pretty cool. Lots of hot rods around here.

Stop in when you get here.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:02 PM
11 Second Club

We'll welcome you when you guys get here. Check us local F-Bodys out, just look up HR F-body and you'll find us. No fees and we're just a local group, we do meet and eats and car shows and such.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by want297z
No smog in norfolk area, emissions is just visual. You will not pass with no cats. No AIR/EGR is usually not a problem. Just don't make it obvious.

Yes traffic sucks. What ships you going to? The company I work for works on a lot of different vessels.

Search for the Hampton Roads thread and post there. You will get the most replies as most of us have it set to let us know when someone posts.

There are a couple local message boards that people go to and a few "clubs" around.

4 drag strips within 2 hours, couple road courses not too far either and one can usually find a couple autocrosses throughout the year. Plus VA Speed is located here, if you need parts, etc.

Plenty of F-bodies around here, or guys that use to own them...Plenty of us have been doing things together for years. We even let the mustang guys play.

going to hsc-2
Old 12-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Workin at the tunnel right now, right off of schofield.
What's your car look like? I've got the only Hugger Orange SS out here (with Black stripe down the middle). I was the ONLY one out here until a few months ago when that one showed up.
Also, I'm going to the U.S.S. Anzio CG 68.

Cats?!?! Cats?!?! Guess I'll buy one for inspection purposes

Originally Posted by alc80
what part of hawaii are you in? im stationed on kbay right now although im deployed right now.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:22 PM
11 Second Club

I hate the front tag law. I never had any problems not having cats on my old 97 LT1. The place I got mine inspected never looked under my car. I now of some guys putting there tag on the air dam. Window tint is 50% sides an 35% back.. Welcome to Virginia..

Check out www.fbodyhinedout.com There is Virginia motor sports park,Richmond,MIR Drag way, There are a couple 1/8 mile tracks but there are a little farther. Colonial beach,Sumer duck Drag way..
Old 12-17-2009, 08:13 AM
Banned

All of that smog, and tint and whatnot doesn't apply if your car is registered and titled out of state right?
Old 12-17-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Junkie

tint they can get you if they want. Same thing with exhaust and other ordnances. You can get pulled over for tint in VA even if you are legitimately just passing through the state. I was pulled over for exhaust (dumped TDs) when I was there and argued with the cop for 30 minutes. I had a florida license, florida registration, florida insurance...he said VA is a Ccommonwealth and if you are in the Commonwealth of VA, you follow their laws.

Usually you wont have any problems, but when I would pass cops, I would roll down my windows (5% tint), and push in the clutch of shift into a higher gear to keep the noise down.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Banned

well thats craptastic. I wont be in Norfolk, im gonna be in Quantico.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:01 AM
11 Second Club

Most of my experience is, unless you're being a bone head, the cops won't mess with you. IF you were driving a Civic with a fart can, might be a different story. Some times the police to have bad days and hate on everyone though.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

norfolk VA or norfalk MA? cuz im in mass.... and i live in norfolk county lol
Old 12-17-2009, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by upincomin
Workin at the tunnel right now, right off of schofield.
What's your car look like? I've got the only Hugger Orange SS out here (with Black stripe down the middle). I was the ONLY one out here until a few months ago when that one showed up.
Also, I'm going to the U.S.S. Anzio CG 68.

Cats?!?! Cats?!?! Guess I'll buy one for inspection purposes
i had an 00 ss all white including the roof and now i have an 02 z28 silver
Old 12-17-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome to the area. Be sure and check out www.hrfbody.com for the local Fbody events, shows, gatherings, etc.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by cookba
well thats craptastic. I wont be in Norfolk, I'm gonna be in Quantico.
They are even worst there I work on Quantico marine base. I had a dodge Ram truck it was like 5-6" under the lift law. They pulled me over and tryed to give me a ticket. Thats the only time I was messed with and I even lifted it 7 more inches.

I had a ws-6 load as **** and caming and Iwas never messed with.It doesn't matter what part of Va your in its still Commonwealth of VA, They require emissions there also if you register it there. Because its consider Prince William Virginia..
Old 12-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Teching In

I'm just going to stop by dad's in Florida and get it registered there. I know I'll still have that chance of getting a ticket, but at least I'll make it through the door. Lol.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Banned

Well my car is registered, tagged, titled and insured in Florida and is gonna stay that way. And the car is LOUD and far from stock so i foresee allot of problems when in get to VA. i have a USMC license plate, hope that helps some HAHAHAHA.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by alc80
as the title says ill be moving to norfolk in april. are there any local f-body or lsx clubs? dragstrips?
texas=