Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Noise after shock and sway bar install

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise after shock and sway bar install

please see post #6!

Last edited by AdmAnt13; 12-21-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:55 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

noise from where? front? back?
if its from the front - did you compress the springs when you put the front shocks together? if you didn't you probably didn't get the top shock mount all the way down on the shock. the top nut is NOT enough to compress it all down.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

Its in the rear. Sorry I thought I said that.

As far as the fronts, I used spring compressors and torqued the nuts down with am impact gun. So no issues there.

Anybody know whats going on?
Old 12-15-2009, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Aren't the endlinks only supposed to be tightened down to like 16 ft. lbs.? I was thinking I saw that on www.ls1howto.com
Old 12-15-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Regular

Clunking noise that can be duplicated by putting car in gear with the rear axle off the ground? Sounds less like suspension and more driveline. Then again having the rear of the car jacked with the rear axle hanging is not going to be the best way to do any type of simulation.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Well, I've re-torqued the end links and bushings to the right spec with the suspension loaded and the noise is still there.

Basically, here is what I'm left with. I did the hose heater mod, new konis, and new strano bars all in the rear. (front too, but no problems in front). The next day I get this weird noise coming from the passenger rear tire it seems like. Its not quite a squeak or a clunk, its like two pieces of rubber rubbing together. I can't explain it. Could it be that the heater hose on the spring is making some kind of noise? I thought it was something in my trunk just loose making noise, but its not. I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Also, whether this is related or not, I'm pretty sure a bearing is going bad on that same hub. I hear that usual whirring noise while driving. Plus when I turn hard to the left thus putting pressure on the right side of the car, you hear a knocking coming from the right rear. I put a diffferent set of rims and tires on the car since my old tire were bald as hell just to see if any noises went away. They didn't.

Should I check the spring out? Any other places I should look?

Thank You!
Old 12-21-2009, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

something else to note, my friend was helping me change out eh springs in the rear while I worked on the front. I noticed he couldn't get our the right rear passenger spring. He had already tightened down the driver side shock so the rear end wouldn't drop far enough to let the spring out. Anyway, he statred to use only one spring compressor to try to compress the spring and get it out of there. He had tightened it quite bit until I saw him and freaked out and stopped him, and got it out the right way by unbolting the top nut on the other shock.

I'm wondering if the spring could have gotten damaged somehow causing this noise? It doesn't look out of shape or anything...
Old 12-21-2009, 10:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I wish I knew what to tell you..... I'd say try putting the isolator back in and see what happens that way. The description of the noise is just not something I can place.....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-24-2009, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Well I fixed it. Dropped the rear end today because I had a feeling something was wrong with the spring. Turns out the heater hose slid a little exposing the metal and it was rubbing against the body making all that noise. It must have moved when i was rotating the spring for it to sit right. So I put it back and now no more noise!
Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 12-24-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha. when you replace things and something new pops up... always go back and check!
Old 12-24-2009, 04:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by AdmAnt13
Well I fixed it. Dropped the rear end today because I had a feeling something was wrong with the spring. Turns out the heater hose slid a little exposing the metal and it was rubbing against the body making all that noise. It must have moved when i was rotating the spring for it to sit right. So I put it back and now no more noise!
Thanks for the suggestions!
So much for those that think you can just remove the isolator and be done with it....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-24-2009, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
So much for those that think you can just remove the isolator and be done with it....
Exactly what I was thinking. Someone on here said they did it with no heater hose with no noise. After my experience, I strongly advise against that.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:02 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

what size hose did you use?
I find that 1/2" works best for me, it is snug. In fact I always have to lube it to get it to slide on.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pjb
what size hose did you use?
I find that 1/2" works best for me, it is snug. In fact I always have to lube it to get it to slide on.
Think I used 3/4" I also sprayed the hell out of the inside with lube so it was and still is easy to slip on and off. But once i had it right and jacked the rear back up and put pressure on the spring, nothing would budge so I'm confident it will never move again.