Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck died, need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Truck died, need help

So I installed a 1K resistor in the tachometer circuit to get the tach working.

Prior to this the engine was firing right up and seemed to be running with no problems (never driven....just running in garage)

So I get the resistor installed between the power wire of the tach and the signal wire from the ECM. I fire it up, and the tach starts working.....for about 5 seconds. Then the engine just dies. I tried starting it up again, and it won't fire up. I then checked all of the fuses on the engine fuse block, and they were all fine.

I pulled out the resistor and tried again, and still no running.

What the heck? Anyone have any ideas? I didn't get a chance to see what codes it is throwing.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This shouldn't have anything to do with the resistor, something else has happened. Maybe the code will tell what the problem is, but could possibly be fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs etc.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

It shouldn't, but awfully odd coincident that it was running perfectly fine for quite awhile before the resistor, and litterally 5 seconds of running with the resistor it died.

I'll be doing some checking tonight.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK, the ECM is now throwing codes:

U0107 - Lost Communication With Throttle Actuator Control Module
P0606 - Control Module Internal Performance

After doing a little reading, part of the problem may be my alternator is probably not hooked up 100% correctly. I'm using a corvette alt with a truck wiring harness and 1 of the wires is on the truck connector is in the wrong position, so it's currently not hooked up.

I put the battery charger on it for now to see if I can get it running again. Hope so!
Old 12-16-2009, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

A little more, bear with me:

My ECM for my 68 is from a 2005, and I happen to also have a 2005 silverado.

So after thinking maybe its a battery problem, I charged the battery all night, no start

I then took the battery from the silverado and put it in the 68, knowing that it will start the silverado. Still no start.

I then tried loading my previous tune, thinking maybe that had something to do with it. In HPtuner when I "write calibration" it comes up with a "boot loader request timed out" error.

Finally I take the ECM out of the 68, plug it into my silverado. Now the silverado won't start. I look at the TPS in VCM scanner, it's at 100% with just the key in the on position (just like it is on the 68). Oh, the silverado also displays "reduced engine power" on the read out in the dash. I tried writing the stock 05 calibration to the 68's ECM, and I get the same "boot loader request timed out".

So finally I plug the silverado's ECM back in, and it starts and runs just like normal.

Basically that leads me to believe the 68's ECM is FUBAR.....nothing else really makes since. I didn't want to put the silverado's ECM in the 68, just cause I don't want to fry another ECM when I need the silverado tomorrow.

That also leads me to the question, "what fried the ECM?" The only thing that changed from the time it was running to not running was plugging in the tach resistor.

Quick Reply: Truck died, need help