Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch pedal doesn't disengage clutch...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 09:29 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clutch pedal doesn't disengage clutch...

I was just slowing down for a turn while in neutral, i pushed in the clutch to shift to 1st, ad i heard a pop and the pedal fell, but not all the way to the ground. i can only push it in an inch or so and it's REALLY hard to push, not that it matters because it doesn't disengage the clutch...

it's a t56, this is the second clutch, second trans, (the original owner destroyed the original ones) i have ZERO experience working with the clutch, i usually have shops do the work but i cannot afford it right now and i'm screwed if i can't get this thing working again within a few days... please help.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like a hydraulic issue or a stuck throwout bearing. If you actually saw the hydraulics and how they work, you wouldnt believe how simple it is. You push the pedal, it sends fluid to piston that comes out pushing on the pressure plate, thus releasing the clutch. I just put a new clutch and all the hydraulics, throwout bearing also.

Did you ever replace any of the hydraulics or throwout bearing? If not, its time
Old 12-15-2009, 11:44 AM
FormerVendor

If the pedal is sticking you are very likely having a hydraulic issue...have you noticed any fluid loss (checking the reservoir, checking for drips under the car and on the fire-wall)? Take a look and let us know what you see. This will allow me to provide more info. Thanks,
Old 12-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Launching!

i've never replaced any of the hydraulics, bearings or fluids before, the car has 57k miles and like i said, second trans (a used one with about 100k miles on it) a 2 year old oem replacement clutch and flywheel that were purchased brand new.

I don't see any fluids dripping underneath the car, i don't know where the clutch hydraulic fluid reservoir is, so if you could tell me where to find it i'll take a look.

i just tried it again and from a stop the engine starts with the clutch pedal in, but i can't put it in gear. hopefully that information narrows it down.

how difficult is it to change the hydraulic parts and bearings out. does it involve dropping the trans, because i don't have the tools to do that. if it is difficult, how much would you estimate it costs to replace them, including parts?

thanks a lot for your responses, i'm so disappointed over this. i just finished rebuilding my friend's entire brake system in his del sol for free, with parts off my wrecked del sol. you'd think i'd have built up some good karma over that... grrr..
Old 12-15-2009, 03:37 PM
FormerVendor

The reservoir is mounted on the fire-wall (there are two on the passenger side of the engine bay and the one you should be concerned with is the smaller of the two) and it will have a min and max level line on the side. Determing if the fluid is low should be pretty easy once you know where to look.

Difficulty in changing the hydraulics is dependent on your machanical ability and the tools you have. To change the slave you have to drop the transmission. The Master on the otherhand is mounted on the firewall which would make it appear easier to change but it too can be a pain. I suggest that you have a shop assist you with this as it seems that you may not be comfortable doing it on your own. I suggest checking with a local shop on pricing. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to assist you.

We have the slave and master on the shelf here for the Camaro/TA and our prices are better than what you would pay at the dealer so if you need parts just let me know. Thanks!
Old 12-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Launching!

Thank you, I'll definitely keep you in mind.

I also remembered some other information that might be beneficial. over the last month or so, occasionally when i accelerated, it didn't feel like the clutch was catching firmly. i never heard any strange noises and most of the time it didn't even do that. after the pop i heard and the pedal stopped working, the car was still in 2nd gear and had no problems driving up the small hill i was headed over and parking at my destination.

i'm not sure i fully grasp the effects of a bad clutch disk, but after the pedal went out, would it still move the car just fine? i wouldn't think so, it would make more sense to me that the hydraulics went out and can't disengage the clutch, which i would think is still good, but i could be totally wrong.

what do you all think?

I should also mention the clutch and flywheel each only have about 20k miles on them and like i said, they were brand new oem replacements. parts can be faulty of course but how likely is that? the original owner was drag racing the car with the stock transmission and clutch and destroyed both of them, which i had to replace, but as far as i know the hydraulic system was never replaced.

EDIT: Oh! Also, for 3 months or so, the resistance on pushing the clutch pedal in would change seemingly at random. while driving, from a cold start, after just stopping at a red light.

also there was a fluid leaking from under the car after i parked. i wiped some off the pavement with my finger and it was cold and felt like water so i assumed it was from the a/c. i just realized i was using the heat, not ac. i even checked the condenser after i saw the leak and it was dry. is the fluid for the hydraulics like that, or is it like brake fluid? this stuff didn't feel or smell like brake fluid so i didn't think it was hydraulic fluid but obviously i could be mistaken.

Last edited by TallgeeseIV; 12-15-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think 20K on a clutch is along time if your beating on it. If I were you I would put a new clutch and hydraulics. I just did, its like night and day. Drop the cash for all of this and you will be so happy with the results.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Launching!

hmm, well... i was told by my boss to use the money on something fun for myself... maybe this is a blessing in disguise...
Old 12-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Launching!

Well, the shop just replaced both cylinders, now they say it works fine when it's lifted, but when it's on the ground it won't get in gear. any idea what would cause that?
Old 12-17-2009, 01:27 PM
FormerVendor

There is no load on the assembly when the car is lifted and then run through the gears. That being said if you can't select gears with the car on the ground then you are still having an issue with release. I assume that you have tried pushing the pedal down as far as possible with no change occuring correct? If you try to select a gear with the car on the ground does the car begin to creap forward?
Old 12-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Launching!

I have no idea, the shop called me and told me what was going on. they're taking the transmission back out now to figure it out.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:12 PM
FormerVendor

Well, if there is anything else I can help with let me know. If the shop wants to call me for some assistance with tech that is fine too. My contact info is below.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

nevermind

Last edited by cgEvan; 12-17-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Well, I got it back friday. They ended up replacing the clutch, flywheel, master cylinder and slave cylinder, and guess what, it just went out again today.

all the parts and labor are under warranty, they covered the towing, now i'm waiting for them to call me tomorrow to tell me what happened now... i'm sick of thiiiis!

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal doesn't disengage clutch...