UGH! this car drives me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UGH! this car drives me nuts

Ok besides everything possible going wrong with it, yet again, something else

When the car is cold. it will NOT, i repeat will NOT go into reverse. You cant even make it go into reverse. Had the tranny rebuilt and a new clutch put in about 10k miles ago maybe less. I dont know if i should call the guy or not. Very reputable guy. Also, when its cold, you have to really force the car into first. And when its cold again, it will scratch 4th gear, everytime even with clutch fully pressed. Once the car warms up however, all is fine. for the most part.

Is this is new issue? or should i be calling my tranny guy? now that its cold outside here in texas, has this issue arose. Before when it was warm, i rarely had this problem. But now. in the mornings, i have to wait 5-10 mins before the car will even go into reverse. This cant be right.

Any ideas guys? i dont want to call and complain to my repair guy, but its getting to where i dont want to drive the damn thing. I did however, have a few other thigns repaired when he did the tranny. cant remember but it was something he said i should get since the tranny was out. This is just getting to be no fun any more. and i CANT spend any more money

EDIT::: even under normal driving conditions, it sometimes gives issues going into gear. Im starting to think its the clutch. Not to mention the clutch will only fully engage if the pedal is all way to the floor and will start to disengage once ne presure is off of it.
and YES im pressing the clutch ALL the way in lol
EDIT2::: if sitting completely still, and if i have clutch all the way in, and put it into first gear, it kinda barely slightly noticabley jerks forward a few inches....

Last edited by 02ws666; 12-16-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you have your slave cylinder replaced when the tranny was out?
Old 12-16-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
I had the same problem with my tranny and my slave was completely trashed, but even after replacing the slave its still a bitch getting into reverse and 1st..
Old 12-16-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Super-Bat
Ill have to check the receipt. ill go home on my lunch break and find out and report my findings
Old 12-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

Had the exact same issue. LS7 clutch. Did the adjustable master cylinder mod, it helped a lot. It still does inch forward a tad when putting it in first though. It is at least livable now...
Old 12-16-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hmm. looks like i need a masta cylinder! would that fix it not going into gear when cold?
Old 12-16-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you tried to bleed it yet? This solves 95% of clutch engagement issues. You would get better responses if you posted this in the manual transmission forum.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Juicy J
Have you tried to bleed it yet? This solves 95% of clutch engagement issues. You would get better responses if you posted this in the manual transmission forum.
no i havnt mainly cuz im a newb. and i did post it there i got good info. i think i might go buy a master cylinder. its just so weird it does it the worstwhen its cold
Old 12-16-2009, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

i had a similar issue. Just had the trans rebuilt with new clutch, slave and master cyl. Everything was 100% new. The car would pop out or 3rd and grind 5th only when cold. Once the car warmed up everything was fine.

Took the car back to the trans shop were they tore it down and couldnt find anthing noticable. Other than the 5th gear was really smooth were the syncro ring would meet. Ended up replaceing the 3rd & 5th gear, syncro ring, and sleeve. All better now
Old 12-16-2009, 07:04 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

The same exact thing happened to me. At first it was just hard to get into reverse, then just getting into first was difficult. I bled it, and it helped, but not long after it was back, and even worse.

Where the bellhousing and transmission meet, there is a rectangular hole. Get underneath and clean that area really well, and make sure it's nice and dry. Pump the clutch a dozen times or so, and let it sit. When I did this, I came out and checked on it a few hours later and it was dripping clutch fluid. If the same happens to you, replace the slave cylinder. Worked for me.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KCS
The same exact thing happened to me. At first it was just hard to get into reverse, then just getting into first was difficult. I bled it, and it helped, but not long after it was back, and even worse.

Where the bellhousing and transmission meet, there is a rectangular hole. Get underneath and clean that area really well, and make sure it's nice and dry. Pump the clutch a dozen times or so, and let it sit. When I did this, I came out and checked on it a few hours later and it was dripping clutch fluid. If the same happens to you, replace the slave cylinder. Worked for me.
ne more details on where said hole is? im not the smartest cookies
Old 12-16-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02ws666
no i havnt mainly cuz im a newb.
If you want to learn, you need to try and do some stuff that might intimidate you. I can assure you that the bleed job is something anyone could do. Find a write up and try it out. Get a buddy to help you.

You will always be a newb until you take a dive and try it yourself. Simple jobs like this are a good place to start.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i think im going to get a tick master cyl and see how it acts then. thx for the info guys
Old 12-18-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

BREAKING NEWS!!!!

ok tried something today. and it goes into gear just fine including reverse... WHEN THE CARS OFF... does this change anything?
Old 12-18-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like you are just going to have to back it in where ever you go!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The clutch fluid is freezing up when it gets below 80 in Texas, you need to get some Noo Yawk clutch fluid.

sounds like you need to bleed at the slave and adjust the m/c. Quite possibly the m/c is going bad.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Launching!

Is it hard to shift gears when driving. The reverse, 1st and 4th grinding issues almost sound like my car when I bought it. It had a RAM clutch in it and the slave wasn't shimmed. And from what I understand is that at first the clutch will feel alright, but after it's seated, you'll get issues like that.

What clutch did you have put in the car?
Old 12-18-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JoeKnowsBaseball
Is it hard to shift gears when driving. The reverse, 1st and 4th grinding issues almost sound like my car when I bought it. It had a RAM clutch in it and the slave wasn't shimmed. And from what I understand is that at first the clutch will feel alright, but after it's seated, you'll get issues like that.

What clutch did you have put in the car?
its just hard to shift when its cold
i got a diamond stage 2 that a very reputable local guy deisnged himself... aka jason @ tdp
Old 12-18-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone think this might have to do with the reverse lock out solenoid?
Old 12-18-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Juicy J
Anyone think this might have to do with the reverse lock out solenoid?
good idea but... i can push it to the right in the gear box but it wont go UP into reverse.. dont know if that cancels that out