Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

edelbrock torque arm...welded lcas ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 11:18 PM
I write checks with my mouth that my ass can't cash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default edelbrock torque arm...welded lcas ?

okay a couple questions...i have a chance to buy an edelbrock torque arm for under 100 bucks..will it even help me that much..i will be running sticky tires and bolt ons...and hopefully a stall by the end of winter..another question will it help me to box in my lower control arms...i know i should just buy them but would boxing them in myself help at all ?
Old 12-17-2009, 06:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello
Yes! Anytime you eliminate a piece of stamp/flexible material that came with these vehicle you are going to have a positive effect on performance. And as far as the LCA's go....same thing you will be taking out the chance for them to flex but you will still be dealing with a OEM bushing (that is possibly shot). But for under $100 and as long as nothing is wrong with it sounds like a good deal.
Hope that helps!
Thanks
Brad
Old 12-17-2009, 07:41 AM

one more question would LCAs PHB effect a bolt on only car with sticky tires...would it be worth the money ?
Old 12-17-2009, 08:28 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
Yes! Is if this is for a Street and Strip Set up and I would suggest going with a single adjustable rear end kit! If this is for a Daily Driver and Street Car I would suggest going with Poly/Poly to maintain a great ride quality. They feature a poly bushing on the chassis side and rod end on the rear end side (to eliminate any binding issues that may occur). Below is a link to show you what all UMI Performance has to offer!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...i04ucq3mrrj381

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 12-17-2009, 09:09 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I hate to disagree with a sponsor, but don't do poly lower control arms. Over time, they will bind and will hurt your suspension more than help. Also, no need to weld your lower control arms as they won't flex like you think because they aren't being subjected to forces that will cause them to flex.

Pick up a set of 1LE bushings for less than $50 and swap out the factory bushings and you'll be quite happy.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:21 AM

i was thinking rod ends ? the car is never daily driven its just a weekend warrior ! so ride quality is not a worry ...straight line performance is my only worry...
Old 12-17-2009, 09:28 AM
12 Second Club

Im running an edelbrock arm and these lca's http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...i04ucq3mrrj381 I plan on upgrading to umi's 2203 tq arm when I have some spare cash
Old 12-17-2009, 09:28 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

The only two ends I would do is either rod ends or 1le rubber. The lower control arm function is to keep the rear centered to the chasis and keep the axle rotating in a uniform arc. With poly bushings, even when lubed, they keep the rear from rotating freely, which then makes the function of the springs and shocks much more difficult to do accurately or consistently. If you're looking for better traction, look into a torque arm, springs and shocks, not lower control arms.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:09 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by streetassasin
Im running an edelbrock arm and these lca's http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...i04ucq3mrrj381 I plan on upgrading to umi's 2203 tq arm when I have some spare cash
Hello
Great to here! These are the exact LCA's I am recommending.
Thanks
Brad

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
The only two ends I would do is either rod ends or 1le rubber. The lower control arm function is to keep the rear centered to the chasis and keep the axle rotating in a uniform arc. With poly bushings, even when lubed, they keep the rear from rotating freely, which then makes the function of the springs and shocks much more difficult to do accurately or consistently. If you're looking for better traction, look into a torque arm, springs and shocks, not lower control arms.
Hello
I understand what you are saying but hes is more worried about straight line performance. And a 1LE Bushing will compress therefore a Poly/Rod end will be better (by not compressing like a rubber bushing) for that specific style of driving like mentioned above for a street and strip combo. But in the end everyone has there own personal opinion.
Thanks Again
Brad
Old 12-17-2009, 10:27 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

If he's just worried about straight line, then definitely go rod ends at both ends. I like UMI's new ROTO joint ends that you've got actually. That's the route I'd go.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
If you're looking for better traction, look into a torque arm, springs and shocks, not lower control arms.

So your saying lower control arms arent going to help my traction ??

Quick Reply: edelbrock torque arm...welded lcas ?