Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Swap Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Swap Question

Ok I picked up an 08 lq9 longblock yesterday, Its going in my 02 escalade. Do you think my old stuff will match up to this motor, intake manifold etc.. the heads on my 02 are 317 and the new motor has 823. also do you think im going to need the computer from an 08 lq9 or will my 02 work? any help would be great. thanks
Old 12-18-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think that in 08 there was no 'LQ9' anymore, it was replaced by LY6 I think, and the L92 is close to the LY6 I think. That being said, you say the heads on your new motor are 823's, Im pretty sure those are L92 heads. L92s are 6.2L's and LQ9 was 6.0L. Look on the block and see if you can see in the casting "6.0L" or "6.2L". The difference in these motors goes further, LQ9 is a Gen III motor and L92 is Gen IV. A Gen IV will go into your 2002 Caddy, but Gen IV's use a different ECM and have different sensors for crankshaft and camshaft position and MAP sensors too.

You could get the crank trigger conversion box from Lingenfelter or get the ECM for that L92 and rewire your truck a little.

You could take the top end off your 6.0L and put it on the new motor and get the conversion box. But this would suck some life out of there cuz those 823 heads work pretty good.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Its stamped 6.0L on the block, the serial number reads its an lq9
Old 12-18-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Vort...#Generation_IV

Do you have any pics you can post up??

If its a 6.0L from a 2008 truck, then its probly a LY6 or a L76. Do you know the donor vehicle??

In reality, it really dont matter what RPO it is.

What colour is the crank sensor...black (Gen III) or grey (Gen IV), where is the cam sensor...at the back of the block (Gen III) or in the timing cover (Gen IV). Are there knock sensors mounted to the outside of the block on the sides (Gen IV) or are they inside the valley cover (Gen III). Can you pull the valley cover, should be pretty easy since you just have a long block. Pull the cover and see what you got under there if you got some solenoid looking things its a engine with DOD. Can you pull the timing cover and see if there is a 'normal' looking timing gear or the VVT actuator looking thingy in there??

Whats not really adding up is the 823 heads and the fact you say its from a 2008...these are both Gen IV era stuff, and LQ4 is Gen III.

Since you got 823 heads, consider yourself better off and find an intake and try to make that engine work with your truck.

Unless someone did some custom work and swapped heads in the past on there. If you got a REAL LQ4/9 with 823 heads that someone put on there and the black crank sensor and the rear cam sensor then you are in luck and you really just need an intake (L92) and rails, injectors and a few misc other things and you are set.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Here are some pics

Old 12-18-2009, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

It says IV on the block stamped next to the 6.0L, Im thinkin its a LY6
Old 12-18-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good pics...they are worth a 1000 words. What happened to the crank pulley?? That might be a pain to get off??

Ya, looks like a LY6 hey. Thats good and bad, sorta. Good cuz its a newer motor with more punch, but bad cuz its not a very direct bolt in.

Here is the link to the Lingenfelter conversion box.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...Category_Code=

You Caddy accessory drive should bolt straight on to this LY6 in place of the stuff thats already attached to it.

Get the box and get a L92 intake/rail/injectors/etc (cheap in the classifieds here and fleebay) and figure out what you wanna do for a TB. Is yours DBW, probly is. Probly a 76mm DBW. The L92 is like a 92mm or something. I cant really help you with the TB stuff. There might be an adapter that you can put your 76mm TB on the 92mm intake, but you probly dont wanna do that cuz you might lose some performance. Your 76mm one is 3 bolt and the newer style is 4 bolt.

So what you have here is a situation of putting a Gen IV in a Gen III vehicle. Its been covered lots on here, and searching and poking around will lead you to lots of info.

Good luck, and be sure to let us know when you got it back on the road.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Ah man thanks alot I appreciate it. Is pickin this motor up for $950 a deal? it only has 12 miles on it
Old 12-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

alright well its not gunna work in my truck so its forsale
Old 12-22-2009, 01:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya, $950 was probly a good deal. Whats simpler for your caddy is get a 2006 6.0L. Make sure its got the black crank sensor, and the cam sensor at the back. Itll be way easier.

If you are still gonna run that blower, consider the LQ4 instead of the LQ9 due to the lower static compression ratio, itll be kinder to the pistons. Its tough to determine a 4 from a 9, so its important you get info on the donor truck. Or if you dont mind, pull the heads to find out, 4's have dished pistons and 9's are flat tops.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:34 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah the ly6 is going to be too much work to get it right. Do you think I should go for a used lq4/lq9 motor or do a shortblock rebuild? Trying to save some money here.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Depends on what you want out of it. If you were happy with the performance out of before, then just get another LQ4 and replace it. Or, look at the Sponsors Sales section and check out some of the deals in there and maybe get a new shortblock and get a bigger engine out of the deal.

Its more personal preference now.