Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

koni/strano package installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default koni/strano package installed

We just got hammered with a big snow storm up here in the northeast and I spent the day playing with my garage toys. Installed my Koni 4/3 and Strano springs and spent some time re detailing my suspension. What are some of you running your Koni adjustments at? Sam suggested starting at full soft front and rear but do you have any feedback to offer? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ebonreaver
We just got hammered with a big snow storm up here in the northeast and I spent the day playing with my garage toys. Installed my Koni 4/3 and Strano springs and spent some time re detailing my suspension. What are some of you running your Koni adjustments at? Sam suggested starting at full soft front and rear but do you have any feedback to offer? Thanks in advance.
Thank goodness I moved from NJ to Myrtle Beach haha. But I miss the snow..

Anyway, I installed 4/4's on stock springs so i don't know how much this will relate to you, but I started on 2 sweeps from full soft on front and full soft on rear. After driving awhile, I tightened the rear up 1 turn (my 4's are fully on car adjustable though) and I made dialed down the front to full soft. I like a smooth ride for daily driving. You'll just have to play around with it until you find something you like. If full soft is too mushy for you, then you know what to do..
Old 12-20-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

Sam suggested I run my rear 3rd gen Koni's at full soft.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I installed my 4/3 set-up and I was at full soft on the front and 1 up from soft on the rears. I liked it, but since they're adjustable, I decided to go up 3 sweeps on the front and see how I like it. Too hard. Backed down a sweep, and they're still too hard for my liking. I'm going to back them down another sweep today and see how that does.

My suggestions is since they are adjustable, play with them and find what you like. I may very well end up on full soft, but at least I know what the other settings feel like and won't wonder.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

i went 50/50 front and rear and am pretty happy..
Old 12-20-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Regular

What's the best for handling, if you don't care about the ride as much?
Old 12-21-2009, 08:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I installed my Strano springs and Koni 4/4's I had them set at full soft front and back. My car is not a daily driver and full soft up front was too soft for me and didn't make the car feel as stable at higher speeds. I ended up at 1/2 a turn from full soft in the rear and about 3-4 sweeps from full hard in the front. This make the car feel very stable in corners and higher speeds. Everyone will have their setup differently according to their liking. If my car was a daily driver I would have the fronts set a little softer.
I would suggest recording your shock settings and driving the car a few days on each setting, once you have tried all of the settings you can decide where you feel is optimum for you and set your shocks there.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Two sweeps from full soft in the rear and full soft up front. Running eibach pros so my settings may not translate well to other set-ups.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:07 AM
TECH Junkie

off the top of my head...how many turns is it for the 4th gen fronts and rears?

is 8 front and 4 rear?
Old 12-21-2009, 09:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by teke184
off the top of my head...how many turns is it for the 4th gen fronts and rears?

is 8 front and 4 rear?
I've got the 4/3 Koni set-up...the fronts have about 8 1/2 sweeps...(one of mine is 8 1/2 and the other has 8 1/4. The 3rd Gen. rears that are NOT on-car adjustable have 4 settings.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:20 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I can't think of a time I'd ever have recommended full soft in front... sometimes in the rear, but not up front with lowering springs too.

If you want to re-cover the settings, just give me a ring. Happy to help.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-22-2009, 09:19 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

once in a while I read that some people never try different settings on their shocks. all I can say is try it, even if you think you like your original settings. I started at the mid point on the fronts and decided to go one sweep softer. the difference is quite a lot!
If you got em, don't hesitate to try different settings. I was able to adjust my fronts just by jacking it up. didn't even have to take the wheel off.

should have mentioned - still have konis with my original 1LE springs. I got the strano springs but have not put them on yet.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:30 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Originally Posted by pjb
once in a while I read that some people never try different settings on their shocks. all I can say is try it, even if you think you like your original settings. I started at the mid point on the fronts and decided to go one sweep softer. the difference is quite a lot!
If you got em, don't hesitate to try different settings. I was able to adjust my fronts just by jacking it up. didn't even have to take the wheel off.

should have mentioned - still have konis with my original 1LE springs. I got the strano springs but have not put them on yet.
Ditto. When I had Konis I started full soft on the rear and about 50% on the front (roughly four sweeps up front full soft or down from full hard). I found on my 4/4 setup that I liked about one sweep down from the middle up front (three sweeps up from full soft) and 1/2" turn up from full soft in the rear. That was the best balance of ride/handling/etc. For ride quality I had it full soft around, and for autocross I dialed it up just one sweep down from full hard up front and I adjusted the rear to the course conditions and tightness and how much under/oversteer I was getting.

I was able to adjust mine without even jacking the car up, just cranking the wheel to full lock one way, adjusting that side, then going full lock the other way and adjusting the other side.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I've been happy daily driving with three sweeps from full soft on the front, and full soft on the rear - stock springs.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

one turn from full soft in the rear.
4 turns from full soft in the front.

car is a daily driver and also autox.

tony
Old 12-28-2009, 10:14 PM
12 Second Club

i just put my 4/4's on today with stock springs, 1.25 coils cut in front, and 1 coil cut in the rear. i set the fronts two sweeps up from full soft, and the backs 1.5 turns from full soft. i am prolly gonna crank the backs up another 1/2 turn, and the fronts 2 more sweeps, but even with the first guesstimated setup i really like the way the car rides/handles compared to stock, MUCH less body roll and just feels generally tighter in turns and translates a lot more road feel

Quick Reply: koni/strano package installed