Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

brakes locking up

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes locking up

My brakes are locking up whenever i pump my pedal 3-4 times or anytime i go WOT (scared the crap out of me when i discovered this one). Im pretty easy on my brakes, its the stock system and im not gettin any lights on my dash from it...any ideas?
Old 12-16-2003, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NightHawk WS6
My brakes are locking up whenever i pump my pedal 3-4 times or anytime i go WOT (scared the crap out of me when i discovered this one). Im pretty easy on my brakes, its the stock system and im not gettin any lights on my dash from it...any ideas?
Why are you pumping the pedal 3-4 times ?
Old 12-17-2003, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or anytime i go WOT
Am I misreading something here or are you saying your brakes lock up when you floor the gas pedal? Something seriously wrong with your car if that's the case.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by NightHawk WS6
First, no lights on the dash. If you had a wheel locking, you'd get a "low trac" light. I'll bet your pedal becomes very hard and high and the car doesn't want to slow down, right?

If the above is the case, you are losing vacuum in the brake booster, and therefore losing you power brakes. This can also happen if you jump on the brakes quickly after being WOT because you don't have engine vacuum @ WOT, and the immediate jump to the brakes doesn't give the booster time to store vacuum you do get when the revs drop.

I'd say you have a bad booster that leaks vacuum, or a bad vacuum line leading to the booster.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-17-2003, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ta12sec
Why are you pumping the pedal 3-4 times ?
Because I can

say im in traffic, i start to brake, stop, start to break again...thats more what i meant

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
First, no lights on the dash. If you had a wheel locking, you'd get a "low trac" light. I'll bet your pedal becomes very hard and high and the car doesn't want to slow down, right?

If the above is the case, you are losing vacuum in the brake booster, and therefore losing you power brakes. This can also happen if you jump on the brakes quickly after being WOT because you don't have engine vacuum @ WOT, and the immediate jump to the brakes doesn't give the booster time to store vacuum you do get when the revs drop.

I'd say you have a bad booster that leaks vacuum, or a bad vacuum line leading to the booster.
thanks again Sam...gonna check it out tonight, my mechanic said some line behind my intake manifold could be loose from when we had the tranny out

Quick Reply: brakes locking up